Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing decals from wheels

Options
  • 12-09-2020 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭

Hi. Wondering what people have used to successfully remove decals from carbon wheels?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Trekker09

I used a hair dryer to soften the decals, then just peeled them off

Voice of experience here, buy your own hairdryer for this task and do not use your significant others !!!!!!! I banjaxed a pretty expensive one not so long ago for a similar task :o

Better still get a heat gun.

Voice of experience here, buy your own hairdryer for this task and do not use your significant others !!!!!!! I banjaxed a pretty expensive one not so long ago for a similar task :o

Better still get a heat gun.

Yep!! I found out the hard way and it cost me money!

Would a heat gun be too harsh on wheels?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,577 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a heat gun can be quite controllable if used at the right distance, but they're fairly unforgiving if you're not paying attention.
    i've never used one on carbon, though.

Trekker09 wrote: »

Like MB I've not put a heatgun near carbon, think i'd chance a cheap argos hairdryer for that task.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Alanbt wrote: »
    Hi. Wondering what people have used to successfully remove decals from carbon wheels?
    Maybe it's just me but I like a bit of bling. Why would you want to remove the decals?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,577 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have occasionally been astonished at the eye wateringly poor font choice on wheels which cost the price of a secondhand car.
    lightweight, for example. it's like someone designed their logo in microsoft publisher.

i have occasionally been astonished at the eye wateringly poor font choice on wheels which cost the price of a secondhand car.
    lightweight, for example. it's like someone designed their logo in microsoft publisher.

Yep, lightweight font is terrible! I love the understated look like Black Inc or 3T. Enve black on black FTW

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Alanbt

Hairdryer over heat from prolonged use? That what screws them up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Alanbt

Maybe it's just me but I like a bit of bling. Why would you want to remove the decals?

Decals are a mirrored shiny type so I have started to go off the look of them. Thinking bare black plus tan wall tyres will look nice on the bike

• Advertisement

Alanbt wrote: »
    Hairdryer over heat from prolonged use? That what screws them up?

I was just wondering if a heat gun, which I presume is the type I use for stripping paint, would be too hot for wheels, especially carbon. I always use the hairdryer when removing decals and it's worked well. You'll also need rubbing alcohol to clean off any glue residue left when you've removed the decals

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I was just wondering if a heat gun, which I presume is the type I use for stripping paint, would be too hot for wheels, especially carbon. I always use the hairdryer when removing decals and it's worked well. You'll also need rubbing alcohol to clean off any glue residue left when you've removed the decals

If the heat gun has two settings (which mine does) use the low setting and just don’t get it too close. The decals don’t have to be piping hot to soften the glue, just warm so keep checking the temp of the wheel by touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Matt Bianco

Hairdryer definitely and roll off remaining glue while still warm. Minuscule margin of error with heat gun so wouldn't chance it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I agree.... I had a mate of mine who bought a real nice top of range audi and the 1st thing he wanted to do was debadge it..... I was kind of scratching my head ....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I had a mate of mine who bought a real nice top of range audi and the 1st thing he wanted to do was debadge it

Maybe he didn't care about letting people know what model it was, and thought it looked neater without a load of silver lettering on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bingobars

This stuff works great, made with citric acid. Smells amazing.

I use it at work and Ive never found a sticker that cant be removed and have used it on wheels before

https://www.lyreco.com/webshop/ENFR/product-product-000000000002519459.html

Advertisement