Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What CPU cooler to buy

Options
  • 12-09-2020 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

Hi all, getting a few bits of Amazon rn, was gonna pick up a CPU cooler while I was at it for my current i5 6400 and whatever 4th gen Ryzen I upgrade to.

Budget is about 50 quid so was thinking Arctic freezer eSports. Any difference between the single and duo version? Anyone have any other suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B

Only better cooler would be the Scythe Fuma 2

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

Might go for the fuma 2 instead. Only 55 quid on komplett and it looks a way better (yes I'm fussy. :D)

Well f*CK me komplett shipping is a tenner. Anything performing like the mutgen 5 that has better aesthetics. Blackout would be fine just not an aluminium radiator staring me in the eye. Cheers

Scythe Fuma 2 - 63.92 shipped
    I bought mine here, arrived very quick.
    Installation was fast.
    It's SUPER quiet.

Also to consider:

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition / RGB Edition
    MSI Core Frozr S / L
    Cryorig H7 / Quad Lumi
    Enermax ETS-T50 AXE
    be quiet Dark Rock Slim / Dark Rock 4
    Scythe Mugen 5 Black RGB Edition

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

Most ryzen come. With cooler if not wait until it comes out to buy a cooler
    Never put cart before the horse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    Most ryzen come. With cooler if not wait until it comes out to buy a cooler
    Never put cart before the horse

They aren't great in fairness. They do the job but not they're not in the same league as being discussed above. The socket wont change so there isn't really a problem buying a cooler now imho. Who knows maybe I'll be proven wrong and the 4000 series are doubledeckers or something :pac:

After doing a bit of rooting around I decided to treat myself to a few psu cable extensions to keep me ticking over till I finally settle on a cooler. Fuma 2 does look like a very appealing option. Is it much better than we'll say an Arctic eSports 34 do you reckon? Probably not quieter I guess

Aodhan5000 wrote: »
    After doing a bit of rooting around I decided to treat myself to a few psu cable extensions to keep me ticking over till I finally settle on a cooler. Fuma 2 does look like a very appealing option. Is it much better than we'll say an Arctic eSports 34 do you reckon? Probably not quieter I guess

Fuma 2 is at least 4C cooler and more than twice as quiet.
    https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/9223/scythe-fuma-2-cpu-cooler-review/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Scythe Fuma 2 - 63.92 shipped
    I bought mine here, arrived very quick.
    Installation was fast.
    It's SUPER quiet.

Also to consider:

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition / RGB Edition
    MSI Core Frozr S / L
    Cryorig H7 / Quad Lumi
    Enermax ETS-T50 AXE
    be quiet Dark Rock Slim / Dark Rock 4
    Scythe Mugen 5 Black RGB Edition

What's your thoughts on the Noctua NH-D15?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭cromelex

Pangea wrote: »
    What's your thoughts on the Noctua NH-D15?

If you can fit it, and you can afford it, go for it. It is massive, but the cooling capacity is really the best you can get on air. And the build quality as well (it is quite solid, unlike some cheaper coolers that will bend easily if you're not careful when assembling and mounting the fans).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Some good deals to be had on Amazon warehouse atm. I've seen good 240 AIO's going for around £50 after the extra 30% discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

BloodBath wrote: »
    Some good deals to be had on Amazon warehouse atm. I've seen good 240 AIO's going for around £50 after the extra 30% discount.

I have had bad experience with "good" condition AIOs from the warehouse..i bought two a while back..one had a small hole in the tubing and the other had a leak in the pump head..just a heads up..in my experience messing around with "second hand" AIOs can be fatal to your motherboard/cpu!

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

Vote for Noctua. Just to good to pass. Have one D14 which I used for last 9 years, still the same great efficency, still rocking original fans. Plus the free mounting bracket for new socket is nice, im exeption as I bought so long ago that lost receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Seen a D14 (like new) for £50 in the amazon warehouse yesterday. Was tempted myself but I've no need for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Got one of these for €42 - should I cancel the order are they the ones that fail all the time (looks like they are).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07H81B5DF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

NM it's not for AM4...

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

Got one of these for €42 - should I cancel the order are they the ones that fail all the time (looks like they are).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07H81B5DF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Wherent they the one Steve was saying have gunk build up problem and pump failure?

yoshiktk wrote: »
    Wherent they the one Steve was saying have gunk build up problem and pump failure?

Yup. Don't go near them.

Just get a Scythe Mugen 5/Fuma 2 or equivalent Noctua.

Advertisement