Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bring these logos back

• 12-09-2020 11:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭

Suggestions of logos you’d love to see make a comeback

For me it would have to be The Department of Social Protections logo. Remember the Dove and scrounger hand? Everything is a harp these days with that government ffs.

Iarnród Éireann’s arrow logo from 1994-2012 is another one that needs to be brought back.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

The old GAA celtic cross emblem. Looked far nicer in the centre of crime park than the new one.

Looks like auto correct knows something.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

For me it would have to be The Department of Social Protections logo. Remember the Dove and scrounger hand? Everything is a harp these days with that government ffs.

Iarnród Éireann’s arrow logo from 1994-2012 is another one that needs to be brought back.

I didnt like the Social Welfare logo. Dodnt even realise it's gone.Generally I find U.S. Logos or brand idents are better than here. One of my favourite idents is the channel 4 one. It stood the test of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Yeah I actually really liked that one, the arrow was pointing backwards tho. Apt? It's still visible on the big silos on the way into Waterford by road or rail. I always admire it.

Also the olde timey Irish Rail one with the I R done out, looking like train tracks? Pure retro.

I really liked the old Pioneer logo of the tuning fork superimposed on a capital Omega symbol. Awesome logo why did they ditch it?

The an post logo should have been retained. It has been their logo since early 1980s until changed approx 2016.

They perfected it in 1970

• Advertisement

Sky King wrote: »

I agree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Telecom Eireann. Homestead.

Anyone else think the Irish football crest is awful design? Of all the cool Celtic cross and artwork in the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Relikk

Tuco88 wrote: »
    Anyone else think the Irish football crest is awful design?

Especially since it's not a unique design, as Israels is mostly the same.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The Topaz service station logo - not that it was all that great in itself (it really wasn't) but its replacement - the incredibly uninspiring Circle K design that looks 3rd rate 1970s standard...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    I didnt like the Social Welfare logo. Dodnt even realise it's gone.Generally I find U.S. Logos or brand idents are better than here. One of my favourite idents is the channel 4 one. It stood the test of time.
    they changed all the logos in the 4 family to incorporate that design, should have left Film4 alone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

The “logo” for Germany in the 30s to 1945 was quite something.

I’m not sure there’s much chance of it making a comeback though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

KungPao wrote: »

They were partial to the white flag post 1944.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Plode

Trawl the lower echelons of the internet, with all that QAnon bull****.

I think you'll find otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It's odd how brands like Ford, BMW, VW, Ryanair, Spar, London Underground etc haven't changed their logos in decades or best part of 100 years in cases and the likes of Irish Rail, An Post, Telecom Eireann/Eircom/whatever the fcuk they call themselves now, have to keep wasting money needlessly pissing around with their corporate image.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

'Scrounge hand', interesting, so hidden predudice, should be an interesting tread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Relikk wrote: »
    Especially since it's not a unique design, as Israels is mostly the same.

Check out Islamabad football associate crest...!!

:D

I wonder why they changed the '46 / '48 logo? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

The P&T logo and the way the "+" was built in to blank space.
    They had an old Irish font version too.
    https://www.pressreader.com/ireland/gorey-guardian/20180515/283218738816506

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

For me it would have to be The Department of Social Protections logo. Remember the Dove and scrounger hand?

The next logo will have a hammock in front of a free house.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    'Scrounge hand', interesting, so hidden predudice, should be an interesting tread!

Wherever you do wanderer, don't let an opportunity pass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

:D

I wonder why they changed the '46 / '48 logo? :eek:

Lol what !!
    What became Pioneer started out as "Fukuin" which is the Japanese word for "gospel". The guy who started Fukuin was the son of Japanese Christian missionaries, thus the inspiration for his company name. He decided he wanted to create a top notch Japanese speaker when he heard an American Philco unit back in the 1930's (or was it 40's? Hmmm...). He added the brand name Pioneer fairly early on and then dropped Fukuin in the early 60's when the company became Pioneer Corp.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Zero chance. Copyright infringement. A Dublin laundry owned that logo.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Aer Lingus please, please bring back green planes.

Eurowhite is too generic. It's practically camouflage at an airport.

And what's with using Ryanair coloured seats ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Andrea B. wrote: »
    Reminds me of this
    F1_Formula_1_logo_black_background-700x336.png

Embarrassingly it took 20 years of seeing that logo for my girlfriend to casually say "It's cool how they made the 1 out of the space between the white and red". I went two thirds of my life thinking that's a **** logo becasue the red 1 was so weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Aer Lingus please, please bring back green planes.

Eurowhite is too generic. It's practically camouflage at an airport.

And what's with using Ryanair coloured seats ?

It makes them easier to see at night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

GarIT wrote: »
    Reminds me of this
    F1_Formula_1_logo_black_background-700x336.png

Embarrassingly it took 20 years of seeing that logo for my girlfriend to casually say "It's cool how they made the 1 out of the space between the white and red". I went two thirds of my life thinking that's a **** logo becasue the red 1 was so weird.

Yes, same as arrow within FedEx between E and X. I like those ones...
    https://www.google.com/search?q=fedex&client=ms-android-xiaomi-rev1&prmd=minv&sxsrf=ALeKk00IiXZCK0t4wKIt5mxnCqOGtJgIfw:1599987705167&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjlsL7W4uXrAhWoTxUIHb5ECDwQ_AUoAnoECCAQAg&biw=393&bih=713&dpr=2.75#imgrc=DLxl36ZKtgZ4LM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

Iarnrod Eireann? he'll be wanting Telcom Eireann back next. Shyte internet. *Growls.

It makes them easier to see at night.

It's cheaper.

I don't know anyone who chose to fly with a certain airline based on what the outside of the plane looks like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭AngryLips

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Wanderer78 wrote: »

No prejudice at all. That’s what people I knew from my childhood who were on Jobseekers Benefit (later allowance) called it. This term actually came from people who were laid off by Irish Sugar in Thurles in the late 80s-90s. Unfortunately the majority of these people never got employed again due to lack of skills/jobs.

It's odd how brands like Ford, BMW, VW, Ryanair, Spar, London Underground etc haven't changed their logos in decades or best part of 100 years in cases and the likes of Irish Rail, An Post, Telecom Eireann/Eircom/whatever the fcuk they call themselves now, have to keep wasting money needlessly pissing around with their corporate image.

I am not sure I entirely agree, a lot of big corporations refine their logo to make it fresh looking and keep up with changing design trends. Check out the shell logo evolution:

526180.jpg

Check out the Fraser Oil logo - pure retro 70s, remember that from Kilcullen back in the day?
    526181.jpg

TIL I seem to like like logos designed in the 70s!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,274 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Andrea B. wrote: »

I remember those orange and white vans. Would see decommissioned ones for years after with the logos gone as private vehicles.

I am not sure I entirely agree, a lot of big corporations refine their logo to make it fresh looking and keep up with changing design trends. Check out the shell logo evolution:

526180.jpg

Check out the Fraser Oil logo - pure retro 70s, remember that from Kilcullen back in the day?
    526181.jpg

TIL I seem to like like logos designed in the 70s!

It's still a shell, the company is still called "Shell" and the logo is minimally changed since the 70s.

I don't see any sense in An Post changing their logo, as if we're all going to start writing letters again on being inspired by it.

It's still a shell, the company is still called "Shell" and the logo is minimally changed since the 70s.

In your post, you mentioned how some big name brands 'haven't changed their logos'.
    It's odd how brands like Ford, BMW, VW, Ryanair, Spar, London Underground etc haven't changed their logos in decades

I am saying that a lot of them do. That shell logo is effectively a complete redesign from the original.

Also you mentioned Ryanair, this is wrong. They have totally rebranded, a number of times.

526182.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭fluke

JupiterKid wrote: »
    The Topaz service station logo - not that it was all that great in itself (it really wasn't) but its replacement - the incredibly uninspiring Circle K design that looks 3rd rate 1970s standard...

The Circle K one is pure design by committee thrash.

The old HB logo is a pure retro ride

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2114/2095458724_a094bb0163.jpg

• Advertisement

It was mentioned to me, once, that the CIE Flying Snail logo was a rip-off of the London Transport roundel with a little tweaking - ever since then I can't help but see the LT 'circle-bar' more than anything else.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.Rc09W3bC1ReTzMigUBxoHwHaE8%26pid%3DApi&f=1

No idea if true or not - just trying to cross infect someone, anyone, with my LT preferred vision.

An older logo which, IMO, had a bit of class and solidly identified itself as Irish was the old "P agus T" used by the Post Office. This was actually the logo of the Minister for Posts and Telegraphs so when that office was abolished the 'P+T' of whatever vintage was obsolete...

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fupload.wikimedia.org%2Fwikipedia%2Fcommons%2Fc%2Fc8%2FIrish_Post_%2526_Telegraphs_P%2526T_%2528Ireland%2529.png&f=1&nofb=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Actually your wrong. VW very recently spent millions very subtly rebounding there logo. Yes it's basically the same but it's now thinner and the V and the W no longer touch. Best way to notice it would be to see an old and new VW side by side. Ford have also very subtly changed theres over the years but nothing like what Renault has done with its Diamond logo which looks great now.

I would love to see Mazda bring back there old logo.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Pity the hammer and sickle is not as reviled as the swastika.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

AMKC wrote: »
    Eh no. It's just evil and represents evil.

Oddly enough the Swastika has a spiritual origin to it and was actually considered a positive emblem to sport before, ya know, Nazis....

Pity the hammer and sickle is not as reviled as the swastika.

The original ideas behind it was pretty sound, but then, ya know, Stalin...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,274 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

It was mentioned to me, once, that the CIE Flying Snail logo was a rip-off of the London Transport roundel with a little tweaking - ever since then I can't help but see the LT 'circle-bar' more than anything else.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.Rc09W3bC1ReTzMigUBxoHwHaE8%26pid%3DApi&f=1

No idea if true or not - just trying to cross infect someone, anyone, with my LT preferred vision.

An older logo which, IMO, had a bit of class and solidly identified itself as Irish was the old "P agus T" used by the Post Office. This was actually the logo of the Minister for Posts and Telegraphs so when that office was abolished the 'P+T' of whatever vintage was obsolete...

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fupload.wikimedia.org%2Fwikipedia%2Fcommons%2Fc%2Fc8%2FIrish_Post_%2526_Telegraphs_P%2526T_%2528Ireland%2529.png&f=1&nofb=1

Still a lot of old manhole covers with the P & T logo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

The new An Post logo an colour-scheme is a disaster, the old one was perfect.

The old FAI should come back. For the new logo, the Israeli Football Association obviously used the same design firm as the the FAI; it's exactly the same except it's blue and there is a Star of David instead of a stylized shamrock. Just give it a google. The FAI should ask for a refund.

Yurt! wrote: »

The old FAI should come back. For the new logo, the Israeli Football Association obviously used the same design firm as the the FAI; it's exactly the same except it's blue and there is a Star of David instead of a stylized shamrock. Just give it a google. The FAI should ask for a refund.

Yeah it's a crap logo.

Often football teams change back to the old, or rather an updated old type crest after a while, fingers crossed the FAI do that sometime in the future.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    The an post logo should have been retained. It has been their logo since early 1980s until changed approx 2016.

Was just about to say that.
    I miss the AIB Logo too.

I said before that logos are all becoming feminised and more girly. I was ridiculed for saying that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

The new Aer Lingus paint scheme is a disgrace. Who designed it?
    I don't think EI will release that information.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

The new Aer Lingus paint scheme is a disgrace. Who designed it?
    I don't think EI will release that information.

Huh? But they did, it was Lippincott and to fairly broad fanfair at the time too.

How would they hide that info on why on earth would they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Yurt! wrote: »

The logo the leprechaun font used for the players names and the crap sponsorship

They play how they look

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Intel spent a ton of money on this change:

Two-Intel-logos-1024x558.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

5ec62abede3cb-graphic-designer-redesigned-worst-logos-emanuele-abrate-coverimage-1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

humberklog wrote: »
    Huh? But they did, it was Lippincott and to fairly broad fanfair at the time too.

How would they hide that info on why on earth would they?

Some sort of imagined conspiracy theory.

• Advertisement
Advertisement