Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steep driveway down towards house

• 13-09-2020 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all, we're buying a house that has very steep driveway down to house c1/6 per survey report. It's approx 6m wide and 7m long so not big. We've a small child so worried about it for safety and also when we parked on it and drove out it really was steep! Is there anything we can do to level it somewhat without dwarfing the house. I've seen some awful looking carports with lots of steps down and I would feel penned in with something like that! We've been looking for house for ages but this is really stressing us so don't want to go ahead if we can't solve. Thanks a mill

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Is it a semi-detached? Is your neighbours driveway right beside yours with the same slope?

Any option of levelling will involve steps and retaining walls, which could affect your neighbour if they suddenly have this big wall by their front door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

Where does the rainwater go?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Picking blackberries

Thanks - it's detached but in an estate so not much distance between neighbours ie the drives adjoin. This house is I suppose at the worst elevation as house to left has same slope but house on right is much better as the road curves there.

That's my worry- would a small retaining wall be enough to take the real steepness out without living behind a moat!

There are drains at the base of slope but I think we'd put in a proper aco drain across

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,674 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

I would walk, too much grief and wtf did I buy this place will be in your head every time you drive out.
    If its as steep as you say you will be looking at the sky when driving or reversing up.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

When I was kid a friend of mine lived in this house.

They had a Volvo estate parked on that driveway most of the time. I don't know what the gradient was, but it seemed insane. 1.5m over 6m maybe?

They never had difficulty except during snow and ice and then they'd need to park it on the road.

It would not be a deal breaker for me, for the right house.

image.png

• Advertisement
Advertisement