Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poles that stick out from the bike to prevent close pass.

Options
  • 13-09-2020 5:55pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭

Is there such a thing as a pole that protruded 1.5 metres from the right of the bike. I'm aware it'll cause wind resistance though.

Far too many close passes lately. It's not on. Some at ridiculous speeds from professional drivers such as taxi drivers and couriers.

Comments

and if a cyclist needs to pass you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Mental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Is there such a thing as a pole that protruded 1.5 metres from the right of the bike. I'm aware it'll cause wind resistance though.

Far too many close passes lately. It's not on. Some at ridiculous speeds from professional drivers such as taxi drivers and couriers.

It would make your bike effectively 1.5m wide. Hardly convenient.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

Some at ridiculous speeds from professional drivers such as taxi drivers and couriers.

A driving instructor close passed 2 of us today with traffic oncoming, AVIVA written all over his car, I shouted at him but he just drove on, I'll issue a complaint to aviva and see what response I get, anyhoo I'd say your asking about those swimming aids people use.
    https://qz.com/1620913/the-best-cycling-hack-is-a-pool-noodle/

OP what you are talking about is actually a thing in some parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭cletus

I can't see the he pool noodle working, it's just move as people close pass you, and something rigid would be plain dangerous

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

PCeeeee wrote: »
    It would make your bike effectively 1.5m wide. Hardly convenient.
    and if a cyclist needs to pass you?

What's the issue?

Minimum passing distance is 1.5 m anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

There are reflective ones you can get that stick out.... But not 1.5 or 1.0 meters....

How does a cyclist pass you safely?
    Best off with good lighting and a good helmet.

There are reflective ones you can get that stick out.... But not 1.5 or 1.0 meters....

How does a cyclist pass you safely?
    Best off with good lighting and a good helmet.

What in the name of tap dancing Jesus does a helmet have to do with preventing close passes?

I have very good LED lights already.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Great idea. Particularly when it catches the side of a truck and you get sent under the wheel of it as a result. You will have really shown that driver who's boss.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Great idea. Particularly when it catches the side of a truck and you get sent under the wheel of it as a result. You will have really shown that driver who's boss.

Then the driver is passing too closely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

You'll really have shown him good. Your face will be pancaked into the road, but at least you will have shown the driver that they were passing too close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Is there such thing as a sidecar for a bicycle :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

not necciserally, if the driver is 1.6m away and you take a wobble or turn to avoid a pothole then you will be putting what ever stupid attachment into their path and end up rapidly turning the handle bars and causing an accident.

these things arent a solution to this problem

I would've thought I'd get more support in this forum.

Welcome to boards, where the OP is always (somehow) in the wrong.

not necciserally, if the driver is 1.6m away and you take a wobble or turn to avoid a pothole then you will be putting what ever stupid attachment into their path and end up rapidly turning the handle bars and causing an accident.

these things arent a solution to this problem

Then we need rigid enforcement of close passes.

Dangerous overtaking penalty points cannot be applied here?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭cletus

I would've thought I'd get more support in this forum.

Welcome to boards, where the OP is always (somehow) in the wrong.

Are you suggesting that people on this forum should agree with whatever nonsense people post, just because it's about cycling

• Advertisement

Then we need rigid enforcement of close passes.

i agree about the close passes. im not a cyclist but i have seen some close calls. its crazy

why cant the points be applied

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

What in the name of tap dancing Jesus does a helmet have to do with preventing close passes?

Could be handy if you did get smashed out of it with a close pass that ended up too close. Could prevent you from death :confused:

OP what you are talking about is actually a thing in some parts.

That wouldn't damage a car in any way.

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Could be handy if you did get smashed out of it with a close pass that ended up too close. Could prevent you from death :confused:

yes if from behind but it would pull you in if coming against you

I have very good LED lights already.

Helmet with lights on.... Its something else to stand out with but honestly aren't a substitute for a light on the bike, bike needs one two imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You can get an inconsiderate or careless conviction easy enough for it but getting a member of AGS whos willing is like winning the lotto. Right to bike in Cork has 1 or 2 such convictions under his belt.

Where is cycledub, he preys on elderly women and other road users....
    Shouts at them even when they're broken down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Just get bike cameras everywhere and make sure that drivers know you have them and will use them. Tell all your friends and family you have front and rear facing cameras. Say that most cyclists have rear cameras disguised as lights. Tell them your Garmin has a built in camera. Tell them all you've had a heap of prosecutions against close passes. Get the word out. Close pass **** need to have the fear of God put into them, not a pool noodle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

yeah and if your brains are running down the road sure good enough for him, I've seen that happen and safe to say I'm scared for life

• Advertisement

That wouldn't damage a car in any way.

How could it damage a car?

Advertisement