Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poles that stick out from the bike to prevent close pass.

Options

Comments

How could it damage a car?

That's what I said, they wouldn't. I assume the idea for the poles would be to do damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭blackbox

and if a cyclist needs to pass you?

Does the passing rule not apply to cyclists as well as other vehicles?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I would've thought I'd get more support in this forum.

Welcome to boards, where the OP is always (somehow) in the wrong.
    Not that you're wrong but the truth of the matter is, while it may work on some, it is likely that an inattentive nitwit or a scummer will hit it intentionally and then possibly knock you off.
    That's what I said, they wouldn't. I assume the idea for the poles would be to do damage.
    Why would it be? The point is to get people to give space, nothing else.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Not that you're wrong but the truth of the matter is, while it may work on some, it is likely that an inattentive nitwit or a scummer will hit it intentionally and then possibly knock you off.

Why would it be? The point is to get people to give space, nothing else.

I know that but to be a deterrent then it would have to do damage or what's the point?

I know that but to be a deterrent then it would have to do damage or what's the point?

A visual aid to wake people up. Personally I think its not worth it. If they can't see me before, this won't improve it, if they are going to close pass, whether it causes damage or not is irrelevant as I suspect I am more likely to come off worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

What's the issue?

Minimum passing distance is 1.5 m anyway.

Not according to the Gardai

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Something like this you mean?

https://youtu.be/lLuNstLjP1c?t=48

Would add more than a few grams, but I guess it could work!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

The 3 most positive things we could have to eliminate close passing would be :

- Proper infrastructure that removes conflict points between drivers and cyclists.
    - A general populace that is more educated and enlightened towards the benefits of non-car travel.
    - Supportive legislation like presumed liability laws (and of course a supportive police force) that help drivers to do the right thing when they're driving in close proximity to cyclists.

Unfortunately in Ireland, we current don't have any of these 3 things, and given how close-minded we are as a nation to change we're probably still a couple of decades away from having all 3.

The best tool any cyclist currently has to protect him/herself from close passes is the art of knowing when and how to take control of the road at key times.

It's not perfect or ideal but the sad reality when you're on a bike is if someone is a**eholey minded enough they can hurt you with their car regardless of what you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,586 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

ED E wrote: »
    You can get an inconsiderate or careless conviction easy enough for it but getting a member of AGS whos willing is like winning the lotto. Right to bike in Cork has 1 or 2 such convictions under his belt.

We get a member of AGS to flue every cyclists around to make sure that there is no dangerous overtaking

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Ben Hur on a bicycle!:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Zookey123

you are upset at drivers passing you too closely so your solution is to make the bike wider? You cant be serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭cletus

Do most close passes happen in cities? I could count on one hand the amount of close passes/asshole drivers I've encountered in the last year

Zookey123 wrote: »
    you are upset at drivers passing you too closely so your solution is to make the bike wider? You cant be serious.

While I don't agree with it, I see the principle. Its not to make the bike wider, the same way the 1.5 m isn't to be 1.5m from the vehicle, it is to be 1.5 m from the person. By being 1.5m away you reduce the risk of blowing the person of, scaring the sh1t out of them, misjudging it even slightly and actually hitting them (which is easier than you think when you understand the reason motor way lanes have to be so much wider than N roads) etc, It also means if they fell for another reason, the driver is unlikely to crush them under their wheels. Pretty simples.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

My intention is to use a visual aid to force drivers to overtake with the minimum 1.5 metres.

Some drivers will just skim by my handlebars.

I can either keep left with a pool noodle attached or own the road and cycle in the middle of the lane. Either way, you have to give me 1.5 m, preferably using the other side of the road to overtake.

Yes, I am upset at close passes. A car passing closely is roughly the same weight, shape and speed as a charging rhinoceros.

To be honest, if everyone was educated on the reasoning at an early age, and didn't grow up to be a ****, it would solve an awful amount of problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Zookey123

No I completely understand wanting a driver to be 1.5m away when overtaking but the logic behind a pole on the bike doesn't make sense. Not only would it cause balance issues but it will decrease the distance between the car and the bike thus making it much more dangerous especially on narrow country roads.

No I completely understand wanting a driver to be 1.5m away when overtaking but the logic behind a pole on the bike doesn't make sense. Not only would it cause balance issues but it will decrease the distance between the car and the bike thus making it much more dangerous especially on narrow country roads.

The pole is a flexible styrofoam material.

If it is struck, it'll bend as the vehicle hits it.

Worst case scenario, a driver will barge through it.

Best case, it'll work as a visual aid and force drivers to give distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

My intention is to use a visual aid to force drivers to overtake with the minimum 1.5 metres.

Some drivers will just skim by my handlebars.

I can either keep left with a pool noodle attached or own the road and cycle in the middle of the lane. Either way, you have to give me 1.5 m, preferably using the other side of the road to overtake.

You can get lights which project lines into the ground

https://ride.lezyne.com/products/1-led-23r-v104

Also the 1.5m law never came into effect

• Registered Users Posts: 34,961 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The pole is a flexible styrofoam material.

If it is struck, it'll bend as the vehicle hits it.

Worst case scenario, a driver will barge through it.

Best case, it'll work as a visual aid and force drivers to give distance.

Worst case scenario it will somehow cause an accident and kill you.

Cycling with something sticking out which cars can hit is idiotic and asking for trouble.

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    Worst case scenario it will somehow cause an accident and kill you.

Cycling with something sticking out which cars can hit is idiotic and asking for trouble.

How? It's flexible styrofoam which will bend with your pinky finger.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,961 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It bends too far and get stuck in your wheel spokes, causing your back wheel to stop suddenly and you going over the handle bars.

A car goes by, it gets stuck in a wheel arch and pulls you towards the car, causing you to lose your balance and come off the bike.

A cyclist tries to overtake you, it gets stuck in their wheel and they come off.

How can you not see the multitude of potential problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,586 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

If a car in traffic even tips that at speed it will cause you to wobble. You can end up.in the ditch or side of the road if lucky, if you are unlucky you end up in front if the next car along

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

Here's a kickstarter set to launch soon: https://l-bow.co/

Is there such thing as a sidecar for a bicycle :)

I made this sidecar:

aLVEKJ9l.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

OP what you are talking about is actually a thing in some parts.

Does it come in 'cloak of invisibility' black?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭guitarhappy

CramCycle wrote: »

The point is to get people to give space, nothing else.

Don't you mean your point is to 'force' people to give you more space?

Whether car, truck, bike or even pedestrians on a sidewalk, how much space we get is in a relationship with the rest of the world. We all try to balance each other's rights and needs in a civilized way, so that everyone functions and no one gets hurt.

What your proposing is sort of obnoxious and, as people are pointing out, likely to get you hurt. It's give and take that's the way of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭This is it

It bends too far and get stuck in your wheel spokes, causing your back wheel to stop suddenly and you going over the handle bars.

A car goes by, it gets stuck in a wheel arch and pulls you towards the car, causing you to lose your balance and come off the bike.

A cyclist tries to overtake you, it gets stuck in their wheel and they come off.

They can, they're trying not to :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

None of that seems likely, it's a flexible piece of foam bungee corded to a carrier, not a grappling hook.

If a car in traffic even tips that at speed it will cause you to wobble. You can end up.in the ditch or side of the road if lucky, if you are unlucky you end up in front if the next car along

That means neither vehicle is being driven with due care and attention.

It's either a pool noodle or cycle in the middle big the lane at pinch points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭marvin42

In the early eighties these where were popular in Germany, Not so much for keeping cars a full 1.5 meters away from you, but to make your bike appear "wider" so cars would be a bit further away while passing.
    https://www.decathlon.at/abstandhalter-fur-fahrrader-id_8176064.html

Advertisement