If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering a new TV primarily for gaming.

Options
  • 13-09-2020 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

Hi guys.

I am currently looking to upgrade my Sony KDL47W805a. It is a fantastic 1080p TV but am looking to make an investment in a high end 4K TV with HDMI 2.1 if possible. It will be mainly used for PC gaming and media streaming. I will also be using it as a monitor. Decent built in speakers is a bonus. As I have a relatively small table the stand width is also a concern.

I am finding it difficult to decide between OLED and QLED. I've been researching both technologies and various models from LG and Samsung. I would appreciate any advice. I'm concerned about burn in with the OLED TV's.

I've been looking at the LG OLED48CX5LC, LG OLED55CX5LB, and the Samsung QE55Q95T. If there are cheaper recommendations I would welcome them.

Thanks in advance. :)

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

alanzo27 wrote: »
    Hi guys.

I am currently looking to upgrade my Sony KDL47W805a. It is a fantastic 1080p TV but am looking to make an investment in a high end 4K TV with HDMI 2.1 if possible. It will be mainly used for PC gaming and media streaming. I will also be using it as a monitor. Decent built in speakers is a bonus. As I have a relatively small table the stand width is also a concern.

I am finding it difficult to decide between OLED and QLED. I've been researching both technologies and various models from LG and Samsung. I would appreciate any advice. I'm concerned about burn in with the OLED TV's.

I've been looking at the LG OLED48CX5LC, LG OLED55CX5LB, and the Samsung QE55Q95T. If there are cheaper recommendations I would welcome them.

Thanks in advance. :)
    Hey Alanzo27.

Thanks for the post.

If the TV is mainly for gaming I would perhaps forget about OLED as you do run the risk of screen burn of static images like health bars etc....
    Screen burn / Image retention is not covered by LG or our VIP 6 year guarantee.

I feel a QLED would suit better and the 55Q95T is pretty much top of the range :)

The 55Q95T is currently priced at 1899 Euro
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-204589-samsung-qe55q95t-new-t-series-55-inch-4k-ultra-hdr-1500-smart-qled-tv-with-apple-tv-app-freesat-hd.aspx

Let me know what you think.

Kenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭alanzo27

Thanks for the quick reply Kenny. :)

I'm more comfortable with the QLED knowing that I won't have to worry about burn in. What features would I be missing out on if I went for the Q80T?

I know that the LG CX has four certified HDMI 2.1 ports but realistically I won't be connecting more than one HDMI 2.1 device. I can easily switch the connection if needed. I had a brief consideration for the new Q700T 55" 8K TV as Samsung have a promotion running until the 22nd, but from early reviews it seems the 4K panels are actually better and that 8K is mainly for early adopters at the moment. Sorry for all the questions. :)

Alan

Thanks for the quick reply Kenny. :)

I'm more comfortable with the QLED knowing that I won't have to worry about burn in. What features would I be missing out on if I went for the Q80T?

I know that the LG CX has four certified HDMI 2.1 ports but realistically I won't be connecting more than one HDMI 2.1 device. I can easily switch the connection if needed. I had a brief consideration for the new Q700T 55" 8K TV as Samsung have a promotion running until the 22nd, but from early reviews it seems the 4K panels are actually better and that 8K is mainly for early adopters at the moment. Sorry for all the questions. :)

Alan
    Hi Alanzo27.

On paper both the spec are pretty much identical.

However the 80T is Full 10Bit where as the more expensive 95T is 10Bit (8Bit + 2FRC).
    Both are 100Hz.

The 95T comes with the one connect box whereas the 80T doesn't.

The 95T has [font=Montserrat, sans-serif]Q-Symphony [/font]but requires a soundbar for this to take effect.
    [font=Montserrat, sans-serif]Enlighten your senses with the ultimate audio visual experience. Perfect synergy achieved by synchronizing your TV’s up-firing speakers together with your soundbar’s speakers to deliver immersive sound – simultaneously from both devices. Exceptional sound quality delivered from both your TV and soundbar, without the need for a complicated set up. Q-Symphony conducts sound like never heard before, only with Samsung.[/font]

[font=Montserrat, sans-serif]The 80T has [/font][font=Montserrat, sans-serif]Game Enhancer+[/font]
    [font=Montserrat, sans-serif]Unlock the potential of the ultimate gaming TV technology with AMD FreeSync and VRR delivering gaming-monitor performance on your big screen. Never be caught out by the bad guys hiding in the shadows with Samsung’s Dynamic Black Equalizer technology, unveiling all of the finest details in the darkest scenes. Overcome the difficult levels by using Samsung Multi View* to watch the latest walk-through whilst playing, all at once on the same screen.[/font]
    [font=Montserrat, sans-serif]I can't see any mention of this on the 95T but I could be wrong.
    [/font]

[font=Montserrat, sans-serif]The stand is also slightly different between the two models.[/font]

[font=Montserrat, sans-serif]I've yet to see one of the 8K sets in operation but there is very little content available. (No movies or Games as far as I can tell.)
    If it was me I would hold of on 8K until there are more sources.[/font]

[font=Montserrat, sans-serif]Samsung QLED's also come with a 10 year Samsung screen burn warranty.[/font]

[font=Montserrat, sans-serif]I hope this helps a little.[/font]

[font=Montserrat, sans-serif]Kenny.[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭alanzo27

Thanks for your help Kenny. I'll get back to you when I've made a decision. :)

Thanks for your help Kenny. I'll get back to you when I've made a decision. :)
    No problem at all Alanzo27.

Just drop me a post or PM when your ready :)

Kenny.

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.