Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade- non techsavvy

Options
  • 13-09-2020 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hi all

Will appreciate some advice on PC upgrade. It's for regular home use- MS office, photo editing, watching netflix, movies etc. but no PC gaming. Current machine is seven years old Lenovo OEM. Noticed spinning noises/ overuse of fan more frequently and photo shop is very slow lately.

Current spec-
    Intel i7-3770 CPU @ 3.4 GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4 core
    Windows 10 x64
    Baseboard Lenovo Win8 STD MM DPK IPG
    RAM 16 GB
    NVIDIA GeForce GT640
    2 TB samsung HDD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

maybe give it a clean out and install an SSD to speed it up first unless you have upgradeitis

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Sounds like dust buildup, a broken fan or some fan setting being wrong.

That PC is more than capable of handling what you are asking of it.

As skerries said an SSD would help. As would changing the thermal paste if you are having overheating issues and it hasn't been changed in the last 7? Years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Just in case you weren't aware an SSD is a Solid State Drive. It's like a very fast Hard Drive without any moving parts - it uses flash memory.

The type you want is a 2.5" SATA SSD like this one.

You can get software to move everything over but I'd do a fresh install of Windows 10 from a USB key.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭bish76

Thanks guys. Will try to avoid Upgradeitis :)
    Should I go for combination of SSD (windows) and HDD (storage) or should I go for 2TB SSD which seems expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Get a 512GB SSD and put Windows and your Apps on it, then store your data - photos, movies etc. on the Hard Drive.

• Advertisement
Advertisement