Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Under attack from midgies!

Options
  • 13-09-2020 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

Does anyone have any advice on best way to keep the midgies from biting? I had to actually give up in the garden this evening as I had dozens and dozens and dozens of them surrounding me and basically attacking me - it was insane. Anyone have any advice re a good spray from a chemist that works - or a homemade approach etc?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Captcha

wear a cross around your neck and do a line of garlic powder

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Davidious

burn some newspapers, they hate the smoke, if u have the smell of smoke on you they will leave u alone

• Registered Users Posts: 21,387 ✭✭✭✭Water John

A product called Autan, spray it on yourself, get it in a pharmacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

Blast em with piss

• Registered Users Posts: 33,585 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I used to get eaten by flies on nice simmer evenings when I would be mowing the lawns.

In the ears, all over the face, head etc! Must have been the sweat.

I found this kind of stuff worked for them, but not sure how it would work for the midgies

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/291587568

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭legend99

Blast em with piss

Not sure how my neighbours would react if they saw me out the back with my ******* out, waving it around as it tried to take out several hundred midgies!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

legend99 wrote: »
    Not sure how my neighbours would react if they saw me out the back with my ******* out, waving it around as it tried to take out several hundred midgies!

They'll understand, they've probably tried it themselves. It's a tried and tested way to rid all annoying creatures.

They'll understand, they've probably tried it themselves. It's a tried and tested way to rid all annoying creatures.

If the timing was wrong I could end up with one biting me in said location......!!!

Covered now in red spots from the little feckers. So itchy so took Piriton tablet as someone here has them for hayfever. Maybe a bee keepers outfit but would be a killer when you're doing hard labour and are very warm!
    Difficult to believe that evolution didn't give us some way to stop biting bloody insects.

Hmm. Actually there are suits to wear: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01I31QUG0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_6JPxFbGH9B1N1

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Some pharmacies, esecially in the west, stock Smidge - it's a repellent spray containing natural ingredients like citronella that midges hate. Other sprays like autan, etc contain harsh checmicals. I've found Smidge works really well.
    If you can get it, Avon Skin So Soft is renowned - it has a high concentration of citronella, and is used by the royal marines, among many others, and anglers who fish in western Ireland and Scotland have been using it for years.

• Advertisement

Zzippy wrote: »
    Some pharmacies, esecially in the west, stock Smidge - it's a repellent spray containing natural ingredients like citronella that midges hate. Other sprays like autan, etc contain harsh checmicals. I've found Smidge works really well.
    If you can get it, Avon Skin So Soft is renowned - it has a high concentration of citronella, and is used by the royal marines, among many others, and anglers who fish in western Ireland and Scotland have been using it for years.

Thanks. I'll have a look for that one. Amazon won't ship it but I'll try elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 22,304 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Avoid early evenings, or wear a full-body condom. :D

Citronella doesn’t work. Sprays don’t really either. Long sleeves and a midge net will do the trick. They’ll only get your hands.

https://www.greatoutdoors.ie/shop/lifesystems-mosquito-head-net-hat

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

endacl wrote: »
    Avoid early evenings, or wear a full-body condom. :D

Citronella doesn’t work. Sprays don’t really either. Long sleeves and a midge net will do the trick. They’ll only get your hands.

https://www.greatoutdoors.ie/shop/lifesystems-mosquito-head-net-hat

Citronella certainly does work. I spend a lot of time in Connemara, where midges hunt by the biklion. I get eaten alive if I don't use a repellent. I have found Smidge as good as jungle formula or autan, and it is a lot less harmful.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Godeatsboogers

Can of lynx and a lighter?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

One more recommendation for Smidge, I use it all the time now for hiking. Avon Skin so Soft used to work well too, but I think they changed the recipe a while back and it doesn't seem to work as well.

I get my Smidge here https://www.adventure.ie/adventure-events-ireland/where-to-buy-smidge-in-ireland/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

They'd probably think you were doing a Conor MC Gregor impersonation

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

Are they as bad as this?

bob mcbob wrote: »
    Are they as bad as this?

Jaysus!! I feel itchy just watching it!! Thankfully not at that level!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

They are attracted to dark clothing and CO2, so you want full length long sleeves and trousers, tucked in everywhere and try to avoid staying in the same place for long periods of time. (they will be invited in by the pools of CO2 that you breathe out)

Burning anything nearby should be enough to keep them away, I have used several DEET products to zero effect over the years.

Dark, hot and sweaty will bring them on, no matter what you are doing to cause those conditions!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,585 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Maybe a bee keepers outfit but would be a killer when you're doing hard labour and are very warm!

I mentioned flies in and around my ears and head earlier rather than midgies, and I once said to OH that I was going to buy one of those oz hats with the girls hanging off it.

I was told not to be buying one and looking like an idiot! That's ok but coming from someone who never cuts the grass and gets eaten.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I'm not convinced that a beekeepers outfit would stop those tiny buggers (the ones that do all the biting in my experience)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

I am riddled with stings from cutting the grass Sunday night, I was out for 2 mins to the bin tonight, stung again.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,387 ✭✭✭✭Water John

There's no doubt they are fonder of some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

They adore me. I have been sneaking out early picking berries to avoid them but the word soon goes round. When I was market trading outdoors the only way was to take a large plain net curtain and drape it over my head and hands.

Avoidance is the only thing that really works.. As long as there is no wind, I stay indoors.

They call them noseeums in some places in the US.

Advertisement