Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

15 year old Cherry trees - best time to trim

Options
  • 13-09-2020 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭

I have have three 15 year old Cherry trees close to my house.
    The branches are getting too close to the property for my liking,
    so I want to get a contractor to give them a light trim - maybe cut back 20%.

I'm unsure if the exact variety of Cherry.
    They are not trees for fruit in the domestic sense. They produce thousands of small hard sour cherries every year.

The largest tree is now about 25 feet tall.

My question is - when is the correct time of the year to trim them?

Any advice appreciated?

MtM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭macraignil

Summer is the usual recommended time to prune cherry as there is a disease called silver leaf that they can get that is spread more easily in damper weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

macraignil wrote: »
    Summer is the usual recommended time to prune cherry as there is a disease called silver leaf that they can get that is spread more easily in damper weather.

If I arranged for a contractor to get in done in the next 2 weeks, do you think it would be low risk of getting silver leaf?

They are nice in the spring and early summer when flowering and early fruit.
    The leaves are rather large and thick when they fall in November, so would be nice to have a few less to deal with this year :-)

MtM

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

If I arranged for a contractor to get in done in the next 2 weeks, do you think it would be low risk of getting silver leaf?

The leaves are rather large and thick when they fall in November, so would be nice to have a few less to deal with this year :-)

MtM

I'd say like the poster above suggested that summer's the best, I know you probably want it done now, but if they are cut at the wrong time.

You might regret it and the fruiting buds might not be as good as earlier years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭macraignil

MtM

I don't think pruning now would be low risk but I have seen cherry pruned at the wrong time and be OK. I also have seen them pruned at the wrong time of year and seen the tree not survive so if you could leave it off until next summer that is the way I would go.

Advertisement