Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government urged to drop novels with 'racial slurs' from Junior Cert syllabus

Options
  • 14-09-2020 12:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭dzsfah2xoynme9

Seems like the Department of education are thinking of changing the school curriculum because a few people got offended about some books. The books in question are To Kill A Mockingbird and Of Mice and Men. I've never read Of Mice and Men but I did read To Kill A Mockingbird. Powerful book and equally as powerful movie. Removing these books would be a mistake in my opinion. Acknowledging that events like what happened in To Kill A Mockingbird is important for us to move on as a society. We need to see and learn about the events of our past, not forget them and pretend that they didn't exist or never happened. This madness needs to stop..

https://www.thejournal.ie/government-racist-novels-junior-cert-black-lives-matter-5201948-Sep2020/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Seems like the Department of education are thinking of changing the school curriculum because a few people got offended about some books. The books in question are To Kill A Mockingbird and Of Mice and Men. I've never read Of Mice and Men but I did read To Kill A Mockingbird. Powerful book and equally as powerful movie. Removing these books would be a mistake in my opinion. Acknowledging that events like what happened in To Kill A Mockingbird is important for us to move on as a society. We need to see and learn about the events of our past, not forget them and pretend that they didn't exist or never happened. This madness needs to stop..

https://www.thejournal.ie/government-racist-novels-junior-cert-black-lives-matter-5201948-Sep2020/

I've never read Of Mice and Men but To Kill A Mockingbird should absolutely be removed from the educational curriculum. I remember having to study it when I was doing my Junior Certificate. I read it cover to cover several times that year and sure, it captured a demented time and place in American history through the prism of children's innocence and offered the personification of the natural law in Atticus Finch and provided a moral lesson in justice and the law not necessarily always being synonymous with one another, but not once, on any page, did Ms Lee detail how one is supposed to kill a mockingbird. I always thought this was highly suspect and, if I may be so bold, false advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I've never read Of Mice and Men but To Kill A Mockingbird should absolutely be removed from the educational curriculum. I remember having to study it when I was doing my Junior Certificate. I read it cover to cover several times that year and sure, it captured a demented time and place in American history through the prism of children's innocence and offered the personification of the natural law in Atticus Finch and provided a moral lesson in justice and the law not necessarily always being synonymous with one another, but not once, on any page, did Ms Lee detail how one is supposed to kill a mockingbird. I always thought this was highly suspect and, if I may be so bold, false advertising.

The novel is called 'To Kill a Mockingbird', not 'How to Kill a Mockingbird", so I think any effort to sue for false advertising would fall short.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,708 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

osarusan wrote: »
    The novel is called 'To Kill a Mockingbird', not 'How to Kill a Mockingbird", so I think any effort to sue for false advertising would fall short.

You must be fun at parties

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

You must be fun at parties

"I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand. It's when you know you're licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what. You rarely win, but sometimes you do. Mrs Dubose won, all ninety-eight pounds of her. According to her views, she died beholden to nothing and nobody. She was the bravest person I ever knew."

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

JC students are 14/15 - these books are hardly going to introduce them to racism. I can understand how it might make a mixed race class feel to read certain words aloud so it has to be handled delicately but just banning the books outright is very heavy handed.

Maybe we could use these books to have a mature conversation about the mistakes of the past instead of engaging in this new radicalised style of BAN ANYTHING I DEEM OFFENSIVE including large scale revision of world history, literature etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭TheBlackPill

As long as they are replaced with novels based on the Barbary pirates or with books about the role of Africans in chattel based slavery.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,559 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Mocking bird certainly is a powerful book, but the whole curriculum needs a major overhaul, to drag it out of the 20th century!

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Mocking bird certainly is a powerful book, but the whole curriculum needs a major overhaul, to drag it out of the 20th century!
    But please, not into the 21st century. The state exams are dummed down enough

But please, not into the 21st century. The state exams are dummed down enough

We have to stop this madness of teaching kids, life's one big test, they've enough crap to be dealing with, let them enjoy childhood

We have to stop this madness of teaching kids, life's one big test, they've enough crap to be dealing with, let them enjoy childhood

If you dont teach your children they will adopt any auld sh1t. All the useful idiots supporting BLM and calling for books to be removed from the curriculum because of the n word are ample demonstration of the end result of not teaching kids

• Advertisement

If you dont teach your children they will adopt any auld sh1t. All the useful idiots supporting BLM and calling for books to be removed from the curriculum because of the n word are ample demonstration of the end result of not teaching kids

I actually think movements such as blm should be a part of the curriculum, do kids truly connect with books such as mocking bird, and is the curriculum truly designed to suit us adults more so? Younger generations are different, they see the world differently, they want a different world than us adults

• Registered Users Posts: 24,514 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I had to suffer through of mice and men for my LC. Glad it's being removed, its utter trash of a book.

I actually think movements such as blm should be a part of the curriculum, do kids truly connect with books such as mocking bird, and is the curriculum truly designed to suit us adults more so? Younger generations are different, they see the world differently, they want a different world than us adults

Teaching kids that if you cry,screAm and destroy stuff you will get attention?. Teach kids about grievance culture and bs race studies.
    Books like mockingbird are timeless and universal and express anger against genuine injustice, and you propose changing them for race huckster crap

Teaching kids that if you cry,screAm and destroy stuff you will get attention?. Teach kids about grievance culture and bs race studies. Books like mockingbird are timeless and universal and express anger against genuine injustice, and you propose changing them for race huckster crap

Or maybe you could encourage discussion amongst the kids, of why such movements still occur today, why relatives of Martin Luther have had to take to the streets, once again, why people become so angry, resulting in such outcomes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Or maybe you could encourage discussion amongst the kids, of why such movements still occur today, why relatives of Martin Luther have had to take to the streets, once again, why people become so angry, resulting in such outcomes

I'm sure you'd change your tune if these kids started bringing up crime statistics in America.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Arra jaysus...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

I see that those Egyptian hieroglyphs depict slavery. Why don't they wipe out all of them because it causes offence to see such things glorified as works of art. I know it was different times but with the now woke BLM movement they should reconsider and take a chisel to it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

To Kill a Mockingbird was a great eye opener for my JC about racism and American segregation. Removing it is absolutely ridiculous as it shows students what life was like for black Americans.

If any novel helps people see the wrong of segregation, it's that book. Removing it is a terrible, backwards step.

We need to remove all reference to Irish mythology and Celtic history from the curriculum as they practiced chattel based slavery. Also need to remove all reference to the British in Ireland too because they were rascist against Irish, and we wouldn't want our little darlings upset by thing that happened in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

"The novels, which are both set in the American South"

Of Mice and Men, like most of Steinbeck's work, is set in California.

"and contain the use of the n-word"

Which is already endemic in the American media teenagers lap up outside of school.

"One person suggested the minister should add Why I Am No Longer Talking To White People About Race by Reni Eddo-Lodge and The Good Immigrant by Nikesh Shukla to the syllabus, as they felt this would help to diversify the English curriculum."

So remove classics and replace them with voguish woke screeds, on pain of being smeared as a racist if you do not comply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,462 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

why are people getting upset about something that hasnt happened? Nothing has been banned. the department have not "given in" to anything. they said they would look at it. and they probably wont.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

Forget mockingbird, Peig was an absolute lesson in the hardships of life and misery whilst eking out an existence on a god forsaken rock In the Atlantic Ocean. It was depression inducing knowing that it was a true account of a miserable existence. That should be removed if kids still have to endure it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Why can we just maybe let people know that the book is a work of Fiction? A work based loosely on the authors experience but still fiction ?

Doesn’t that count for something anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

I think people are getting a bit exercised about a storm in a teacup; an unspecified number of people (could have been as few as one or two) emailed the Dept of Education, and the Dept wrote back that they would look into it.

screamer wrote: »
    Forget mockingbird, Peig was an absolute lesson in the hardships of life and misery whilst eking out an existence on a god forsaken rock In the Atlantic Ocean. It was depression inducing knowing that it was a true account of a miserable existence. That should be removed if kids still have to endure it.

I don't think that Peig has been on the curriculum for about 30 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,462 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

El Tarangu wrote: »
    I think people are getting a bit exercised about a storm in a teacup; an unspecified number of people (could have been as few as one or two) emailed the Dept of Education, and the Dept wrote back that they would look into it.

you mean they got rid of it as soon as i was finished? bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

El Tarangu wrote: »

Just had a look there 1999 it was removed so I had to endure it, but very seriously this book was absolute misery and a personal account of miserable existence in Ireland. Mockingbird is purely that mocked up fiction, were it real, then I’d think differently. I also had to read it for junior cert and just thought it was meh to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

osarusan wrote: »

959ce1fd38bcfa0d617d4bd658937f2b.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    "The novels, which are both set in the American South"

Of Mice and Men, like most of Steinbeck's work, is set in California.

"and contain the use of the n-word"

Which is already endemic in the American media teenagers lap up outside of school.

"One person suggested the minister should add Why I Am No Longer Talking To White People About Race by Reni Eddo-Lodge and The Good Immigrant by Nikesh Shukla to the syllabus, as they felt this would help to diversify the English curriculum."

So remove classics and replace them with voguish woke screeds, on pain of being smeared as a racist if you do not comply.

How are they classics? They would have been modern literature at the time.

Why can't they be rolled out for modern literature that's relevant to now?

TomTomTim wrote: »
    I'm sure you'd change your tune if these kids started bringing up crime statistics in America.

how would irish students bring up american crime rates?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭JoannaJag

Is the complaint because of the N word or because the book centers a white voice on the subject of white on black racism? Or both?
    In some ways unless you are going to ban the books altogether and remove them from libraries and book shops it’s better that a teacher is available to give historical and racial context to the books and discuss these issues. On the other hand it’s been 50 years - maybe time for some new reading material.

Advertisement