Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government urged to drop novels with 'racial slurs' from Junior Cert syllabus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,465 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I actually think movements such as blm should be a part of the curriculum, do kids truly connect with books such as mocking bird, and is the curriculum truly designed to suit us adults more so? Younger generations are different, they see the world differently, they want a different world than us adults

It is an english course not a civics or politics course.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

TomTomTim wrote: »
    I'm sure you'd change your tune if these kids started bringing up crime statistics in America.

Depends. Would your version go beyond "blacks are criminals" and discuss the causes of the issues in American society?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

It is an english course not a civics or politics course.

Maybe it's time to move on from old books and writing essays about them and educate kids about the world? Their homework can be to choose and read books.

Maybe it's time to move on from old books and writing essays about them and educate kids about the world? Their homework can be to choose and read books.

is that not what a civics course is for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Should have the entire Famous Five and The Secret Seven catalogue on the syllabus. Will tell the kids everything they need to know in life:-

- Bring a torch everywhere with you. Never know when you're going to run into an adventure (especially where there are lighthouses and tunnels.

- Same with rubber soled shoes.

- Great lessons on how to get out of locked rooms

- For some unexplained reason, drink infinite amounts of lemonade on warm summer days.

- There's nothing wrong with a girl trying to dress and look like a boy and getting offended if referred to as a girl.

Legends. All of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

White savour teachers will save the little kideens and make it all better.

Should have the entire Famous Five and The Secret Seven catalogue on the syllabus. Will tell the kids everything they need to know in life:-

- Bring a torch everywhere with you. Never know when you're going to run into an adventure (especially where there are lighthouses and tunnels.

- Same with rubber soled shoes.

- Great lessons on how to get out of locked rooms

- For some unexplained reason, drink infinite amounts of lemonade on warm summer days.

- There's nothing wrong with a girl trying to dress and look like a boy and getting offended if referred to as a girl.

Legends. All of them.

Ginger beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Ginger beer.

Lashings and lashings of ginger beer

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭8-10

TomTomTim wrote: »
    No one said it was. His point was in relation to wider society. It is wider society that is being used to decide these matters, he's simply point out the hypocrisy.

Wider society might be driving attention to these matters, but in this case it's the Department of Education who are deciding based on letters it received. Nothing to do with music.

It's about time they looked at overhauling the reading list so it's of less concern what drove the change. The Junior and Leaving Certs are both inadequate in my view and slow to change

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

A degree from any Western University isn't going to be worth anything in a few years if they keep watering down curriculum and removing "problematic" material.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,559 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    A degree from any Western University isn't going to be worth anything in a few years if they keep watering down curriculum and removing "problematic" material.

is it truly worth anything now, many leave our educational system lacking critical life skills, and are poorly prepared for adulthood

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭endacl

is it truly worth anything now, many leave our educational system lacking critical life skills, and are poorly prepared for adulthood

Critical life skills? Like those that parents teach?

An overwhelming majority of adults functioning pretty well would tend to contradict your point.

They are all adults by the time they leave and most of them are before they start . It is not the job of a University to impart critical life skills. The roll of the University is to deliver academic courses to degree level and above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Ginger beer.

Oh ya :o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

endacl wrote: »

An overwhelming majority of adults functioning pretty well would tend to contradict your point.

I always think this too. Is there a widespread phenomenon of people failing to function as an adult that I'm missing? Saying people are "unprepared for adulthood" is a vacuous non-fact that people trot out as if it means anything.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,654 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

is that not what a civics course is for?

Its CSPE now

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Its CSPE now

whatever they are calling it now it doesn't belong in an english class.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,559 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

endacl wrote: »

our modern society has changed radically, since the design of our educational system, which hasnt changed much in order to reflect this radical change. our system was ultimately designed when most homes had only one main income, this is generally no longer the case, most homes now needing at least two full time workers to maintain the home, our system doesnt reflect this at all, or reflects it very poorly.

you ll find many normalised dysfunctional behaviors such as eating disorders, alcohol and illegal drugs consumption etc etc, are signs of adults not truly functioning pretty well, we all know mental health issues are on the rise, this is also another sign of adults not functioning pretty well...
    Sardonicat wrote: »
    They are all adults by the time they leave and most of them are before they start . It is not the job of a University to impart critical life skills. The roll of the University is to deliver academic courses to degree level and above.

our educational system in fact should have a multi function, including delivery of academic training, working life preparation, critical life skill training etc etc. drop out rates are relatively high in many areas of study at third level, particularly at the early stages of many courses, another sign of system failure
    I always think this too. Is there a widespread phenomenon of people failing to function as an adult that I'm missing? Saying people are "unprepared for adulthood" is a vacuous non-fact that people trot out as if it means anything.

...see above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭TheBlackPill

If they really have to replace Mockingbird, Paul Beatty'S THE SELLOUT, is a modern novel by an African American, that deals very well with contemporary issues. The race baiting hucksters won't like it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

If they really have to replace Mockingbird, Paul Beatty'S THE SELLOUT, is a modern novel by an African American, that deals very well with contemporary issues. The race baiting hucksters won't like it

Honestly, I was fairly underwhelmed with The Sellout. It had its moments but a lot of the jokes fell flat and the ending just kind of fizzled out. I bought the book expecting to like it too.

Never cared that much about TKAM, but I've always liked Steinbeck's work. Of Mice and Men is a good gateway to his longer books like the Grapes of Wrath. I expect his legacy will endure far longer than the zeitgeisty ****e being pushed to replace it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭TheBlackPill

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Honestly, I was fairly underwhelmed with The Sellout. It had its moments but a lot of the jokes fell flat and the ending just kind of fizzled out. I bought the book expecting to like it too.

Never cared that much about TKAM, but I've always liked Steinbeck's work. Of Mice and Men is a good gateway to his longer books like the Grapes of Wrath. I expect his legacy will endure far longer than the zeitgeisty ****e being pushed to replace it.
    Really liked the Sellout. Just noted the same publisher released Marlon james A brief hx of 7 killings. Now that is epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

8-10 wrote: »
    I don't think hip hop is on the Leaving Cert syllabus

Give it time. The way Western society, culture and education is going it might well be at some point.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,640 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Threads merged, title updated

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Lashings and lashings of ginger beer

Ginger Beer would be a great name for a Dominatrix. Lashings indeed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

I've never read Of Mice and Men but To Kill A Mockingbird should absolutely be removed from the educational curriculum. I remember having to study it when I was doing my Junior Certificate. I read it cover to cover several times that year and sure, it captured a demented time and place in American history through the prism of children's innocence and offered the personification of the natural law in Atticus Finch and provided a moral lesson in justice and the law not necessarily always being synonymous with one another, but not once, on any page, did Ms Lee detail how one is supposed to kill a mockingbird. I always thought this was highly suspect and, if I may be so bold, false advertising.

If you think that's bad, then I strongly advise you never to watch the Irish movie called "Eat the Peach" - a film in which absolutely no fruit eating of any kind occurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

As Aristotle always urged his followers: 'If it ain't woke, don't fix it.'

Ginger Beer would be a great name for a Dominatrix. Lashings indeed...

I shall keep that in mind....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Don't know about here, but in the US the School system is nothing but overglorified propaganda centres for decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Mocking bird certainly is a powerful book, but the whole curriculum needs a major overhaul, to drag it out of the 20th century!
    Of Mice and Men is also excellent and written by a Nobel Prize winner. It's also very short and students are really saved the trouble of reading it by some excellent screen adaptations. I'd much rather see an end to these "feelings" towards literature and a return to actually analysing them.

• Advertisement

our modern society has changed radically, since the design of our educational system, which hasnt changed much in order to reflect this radical change. our system was ultimately designed when most homes had only one main income, this is generally no longer the case, most homes now needing at least two full time workers to maintain the home, our system doesnt reflect this at all, or reflects it very poorly.

you ll find many normalised dysfunctional behaviors such as eating disorders, alcohol and illegal drugs consumption etc etc, are signs of adults not truly functioning pretty well, we all know mental health issues are on the rise, this is also another sign of adults not functioning pretty well...

our educational system in fact should have a multi function, including delivery of academic training, working life preparation, critical life skill training etc etc. drop out rates are relatively high in many areas of study at third level, particularly at the early stages of many courses, another sign of system failure

...see above

A University is for adults to study particular subjects and specialities to degree level and to facilitate independent study and research at post graduate level. The people who attend are adults. It's function is not to teach people how to be grown ups. Most of us figure that out by ourselves, many, incidentally, while attending University.

Advertisement