Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Uptime monitoring

• 14-09-2020 1:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Been having issues with Eir fixed line broadband the last couple of weeks - the connection is so unstable! Some days are fine, up all day....others it is dropping very often, 10/15 times a day.

I logged a ticket with Eir, had an engineer out and he found no issues - obviously it was working fine the day he came out. Have since logged another ticket but am awaiting a reply.

So, is there any app or way to monitor and log the up/downtime - something from my computer that would ping a reliable site (i.e. www.google.com) on a regular basis and produce a report that I can show the engineer of when the connection was up/down?

Appreciate any help here....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭Cameraman

You could try this (I used it for a while a few years ago when I had problems) :

https://netuptimemonitor.com/

It's a paid Windows app - but can trial free.

Also - sometimes wired connections can continue to work fine while having drop-outs on WiFi. So, that's something else to check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭DopeTech

There's usually logs on a router. Worth checking before paying for anything.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Use NoIP free for Dynamic DNS
    Use Think BBs BQM for monitoring.

Totally free, lovely graphs.
    large?v=1.0&px=999

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭phelimb

Thanks for the responses folks - the wired connection was dropping the same as the wifi and I couldn't find anything in the router logs so I'll check into those apps and see if they work for me.

Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Last time this happened to me Eir dropped the speed on the line from 70 to 50 at their end and that was the end of it.

Never went back up to any higher speeds since then, but no drops in connection or anything else either.

This was suggested by them, though as the line designed for 70-80 couldn't handle it for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

ED E wrote: »
    Use NoIP free for Dynamic DNS
    Use Think BBs BQM for monitoring.

Totally free, lovely graphs.
    large?v=1.0&px=999

looks great and i have set up an account to monitor my connection
    However I am getting blocked and the graph is not giving me any results.
    it seems to be router is configured to not respond to ping requests on its WAN/Internet port.
    says that the option is sometimes referred to as 'reply to ICMP requests'.

Can anyone advise how to set that up on an Eir Fibre box (Sagemcom)

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭sphinxicus

it seems to be router is configured to not respond to ping requests on its WAN/Internet port.

Can't comment on your specific router, it would probably be in the firewall settings somewhere.

If you have a device that you leave on all the time and you dont want to mess with your router settings, another option would be to use some form of ICMP collector to ping an address outside your network that has a reliable uptime (like googles DNS servers 8.8.8.8). There are lots of free options for Windows & Linux operating systems. Just check that your firewall will allow pings through first by opening your command prompt in windows and typing
    ping 8.8.8.8

if you get a response then your firewall is allowing ICMP where connections are established from inside the network.

I've used EMCO Ping Monitor for Windows in the past. Dead simple installation, just accept all the defaults and put in 8.8.8.8 for the host you want to monitor when setting it up. As long as your PC (and this app) is running, it will ping googles DNS and mark it as down if it fails to respond.

It will give you statistics like uptime/number of outages etc. It also has the ability to monitor your gateway, (i.e. your router if you configure this during setup).

Just another option i thought i would point out that will take 2mins to setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

image-21.png

Thats a TalkTalk unit but Ive not seen Eirs unit to know what UI they use. It should probably have the option though.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭phelimb

wonski wrote: »
    Last time this happened to me Eir dropped the speed on the line from 70 to 50 at their end and that was the end of it.

Never went back up to any higher speeds since then, but no drops in connection or anything else either.

This was suggested by them, though as the line designed for 70-80 couldn't handle it for some reason.

Hi Wonski - yep, that was the 'fix' for my issue. Eir dropped the speed to 50 on Friday and no drops since. Not a great solution in my opinion but 50 will probably suffice for my needs.

BionicRasher - the Eir support person I spoke with on Friday was able to tell me the connection dropped x times in the last 24hours. So they must be able to track uptime as well....not surprising really!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Had it tested with eir and sky living in the same place for good few years and since they maxed it at 50 it is perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

phelimb wrote: »
    Been having issues with Eir fixed line broadband the last couple of weeks - the connection is so unstable! Some days are fine, up all day....others it is dropping very often, 10/15 times a day.

I logged a ticket with Eir, had an engineer out and he found no issues - obviously it was working fine the day he came out. Have since logged another ticket but am awaiting a reply.

So, is there any app or way to monitor and log the up/downtime - something from my computer that would ping a reliable site (i.e. www.google.com) on a regular basis and produce a report that I can show the engineer of when the connection was up/down?

Appreciate any help here....
    Get them to send new modem

https://amp.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/5lvksc/broadband_constantly_disconnecting_eir/

Advertisement