Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resurrecting extinct species, the ethics of it.

Options
  • 14-09-2020 9:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭

Scientists are on the cusp of resurrecting the Woolly Mammoth within the next few years, other extinct species will follow the Mammoth into the 21st century if all goes well, but what do you think of the ethics of bringing back long dead species into this modern world?

Some might say it's wreckless to be playing God, others say it's cruel, foolish and takes up scientific space, that could be put to better use (like tackling Covid-19).

The process itself of resurecting the Mammoth will actually result in a hybrid Half-Mammoth half Asian-Elephant, a 'Mammophant' if you wish, an Asian elephant with some Mammoth traits, Mammoth tusks, shaggy hair and blood that doesn't freeze in Siberia!

The process involves DNA extracted from ancient frozen mammoths which will be used to fertilise an Asian elephant, which will then give birth to this hybrid Mammophant beast.

But what of the ethics of it all?
    Good or bad? Exciting for sure .....

Link: https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/feb/16/woolly-mammoth-resurrection-scientists

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

May I be the first to welcome our new Mammophant overlords!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Withough disputing the massive benefits genetic research has provided us, surely we would be better off looking after the species that we have and are declining at a rapid rate than introducing various hybrids.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

What's the point of having blood that doesn't freeze in Siberia, while Siberia is defrosting?

I'm not so concerned with Ethics, but more so, what's the purpose of this? I don't really see it as anything more than a vanity project. There have been attempts to bring back extinct species before, by mating the traits of the extinct species. All that was gained from it, was something that kinda looked like what they were aiming for.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/when-nazis-tried-bring-animals-back-extinction-180962739/

It wasn't all Nazi led as the link suggests. But they pushed for more of it. Or at least Göring did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

What's the point of having blood that doesn't freeze in Siberia, while Siberia is defrosting?

I'm not so concerned with Ethics, but more so, what's the purpose of this? I don't really see it as anything more than a vanity project. There have been attempts to bring back extinct species before, by mating the traits of the extinct species. All that was gained from it, was something that kinda looked like what they were aiming for.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/when-nazis-tried-bring-animals-back-extinction-180962739/

It wasn't all Nazi led as the link suggests. But they pushed for more of it. Or at least Göring did.

They are going to build a big park for all the mutant animals, it will be a big success till one day, they escape from the cage and cause chaos

• Registered Users Posts: 19,857 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

They still have wooly mammoths down in Athlone.

I've seen them a few years back down in the nightclubs.

Wobbling away on their high-heels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Would be a great attraction at Dublin Zoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,510 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Jurassic Park films have shown me numerous times why this would be a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Whatever about woolly mammoths, they should bring back Peig Sayers, and let her roam Great Blasket Island with her clay pipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Given no one gives a sh*t about the current extinction rates of all creatures great and small on the planet, this can only be looked at as a Frankenstein-esque science project.
    There was a documentary last night about the current extinction crisis narrated by David Attenborough. Thoroughly depressing stuff. People don't seem to care though and are happy to carry on as is until we wipe ourselves and everything out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Given no one gives a sh*t about the current extinction rates of all creatures great and small on the planet, this can only be looked at as a Frankenstein-esque science project.
    There was a documentary last night about the current extinction crisis narrated by David Attenborough. Thoroughly depressing stuff. People don't seem to care though and are happy to carry on as is until we wipe ourselves and everything out.

That's really sad and stuff about nature things and all but wooly elephants would be sooooooo cute xxx
    #pleasesantabringmeawoolyelephant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭AllForIt

It's more ethical than killing them off in the first place though destroying their habitats.

Advertisement