Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawn Help !! ( East Facing)

Options
  • 14-09-2020 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My lawn is infested with moss and clover. It's a good size lawn that I cut/weed etc on a weekly basis. In the past I've tried weed and feed etc but apart from rom blackening the lawn in patches I've had no success.
    Planning to do a major overhaul, for next year and I hope to improve the look of the lawn.
    What measures can be taken in the off season
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Heavily scarify it in early October and apply something like MoBacter to eat the rest.
    Then a couple of weeks after than give it some autumn feed.

What height do you normally cut it at?
    During summer it would be normal to cut a lawn at least twice a week, if you cut it once in winter and the same in summer you are taking too much off it each cut during the summer and stressing it, which lets the week and moss in.

Whats the drainage like? Does it get very wet and hold water?
    How much light would it get each day?
    Does it get much traffic?

Pictures would help...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭moby2101

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

I would normally cut it every week/10 days ... blade almost at the lowest setting.
    I would attempt to remove aa much clover/moss by hand.

Drainage is not an issue, it gets a lot of light all day till about 6 in the evening..practically zero traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Hi

I'd like advice on this too please. My garden is east facing too.

I got a lawn fitted in June (rollout turf grass). The soil beneath isn't great - mucky clay and the drainage is poor in parts, especially beside the concrete.

I thought I was doing good by cutting the grass high and it did look well all season and kept the weeds under control, but now I see thatch is collecting underneath (not loose clippings, I mean dead grass still in the ground), bogging down the grass and smothering it so plenty of small patches forming. Maybe I should have been cutting lower.
    In the shadier areas moss already started taking hold underneath the grass.

I've spread a generous dose of Sulphate of Iron on all over the lawn and it seems to have blackened the moss (and some of the grass- it was very sunny after i applied it). I'll see how it looks in another week but my plan is to give it a good short cut, and for the worst areas cut it as low as possible then rake, aerate and overseed the worst patches and hopefully it will be a strong start to 2021.

I'm making it sounds worse than it is.. bar some spots the lawn is in fairly good condition and I want to keep it that way without moss or weeds taking hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

moby2101 wrote: »
    Hi

Thanks for your reply.

I would normally cut it every week/10 days ... blade almost at the lowest setting.
    I would attempt to remove aa much clover/moss by hand.

Drainage is not an issue, it gets a lot of light all day till about 6 in the evening..practically zero traffic

Does your grass look pretty yellow after each cut?
    I would say that you are cutting it too low for the frequency you are cutting it.

For lower maintenance its better to cut at ~1inch height and at least every 7 days year round, and ideally more frequently during summer.

Now is a good time to do some maintenance, scarifying and moss removal.
    As long as your lawn isnt huge you can use a product like Mobacter that will eat the moss without you having to rake it up afterwards. Normal Autumn feed & weed will require the moss to be raked out and removed.

Make sure its an Autumn feed and not a spring/summer feed or general fertilizer. The right feed will promote root growth, the wrong one will cause plant/leaf growth which you dont want at this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭moby2101

Thank you GreeBo

Much appreciated, is it better to wait a few weeks(end of growing season)or can I tackle it straight away.

Cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement