Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting up wall on property line

Options
  • 14-09-2020 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭

Hi, this is a rhetorical question as we don't want to fall out with our neighbours. They park to the side of our house and have no parking in front of their own. I would in theory like to put a wall along our property line which will make their parking space tight but workable. Is this allowed? My end neighbour in the same house has the same issue but a wall was built by the builders in that case. Very random who got a wall and who didn't. I'm annoyed with them at the moment as they got tinkers in to clean their cobble lock and they just blew all the dirt and grit onto us. I may just go ahead and plant a hedge instead. Irritating when people are so careless. The other issue is visitors think it's our parking.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Xterminator

no. you may put up a wall on your side of the property, but you cannot unilaterally put a wall on the boundary because by definition the wall will touch both sides of the property IE you will be building on their side too.

Re hedge have you though about what happens when it grows over onto neighbours side of the garden? If relations are that bad it could create more issues than it fixes.

It would be far better to swallow your pride and get a consensus from your neighbour as to how this issue is best handled. if you offer to pay for the boundary wall and/or hedges and give them ample time to look at the plans and agree, then you could well get the wall you want.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Grawns wrote: »
    Hi, this is a rhetorical question as we don't want to fall out with our neighbours. They park to the side of our house and have no parking in front of their own. I would in theory like to put a wall along our property line which will make their parking space tight but workable. Is this allowed? My end neighbour in the same house has the same issue but a wall was built by the builders in that case. Very random who got a wall and who didn't. I'm annoyed with them at the moment as they got tinkers in to clean their cobble lock and they just blew all the dirt and grit onto us. I may just go ahead and plant a hedge instead. Irritating when people are so careless. The other issue is visitors think it's our parking.

Maybe you can clarify along what mine you want the wall?
    What house is yours and where your neighbors park?

You can build a wall to the front of your property up to a max night or 1.2m without planning. The rear is 2m.

You have options here assuming you have no restrictions from local management company.

Edit. I assume you own No. 9 and they park where the dashed lines are. And the solid white line is the boundary?

I can see how this would cause problems as it’s badly designed. Also they should not have cleaned their side of the cobble and left yours covered in debris. This to be is bad neighbors and I wouldn’t bat an eye lid on putting up a solid boundary.
    With agreement you can build directly on the Centre. Otherwise it’s has to be retained within your property.

Planning exemptions would allow a wall up to 2m along that line in my opinion based on the info shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Thanks I figured as much. Yes we're number 9 and the wall would be 100% on my side only. There's no management company. An apology would have gone a long way but I don't think I could do it to them. We all bought off plans and they got really screwed. Their neighbours park in front of them. They walk out their front door into their neighbours car. My house is great but very ugly on tbe outside. Like unsymmetrical soviet horror in a ghastly shade. Dangers of buying off plans with no show house😂

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

have someone independent measure and mark out the boundary and then agree with neighbours to put it exactly down the middle and both keep copies of all the measurements somewhere for 20 years time.

If they won't budge on it then get your own measurement done, put the wall on your side and provide them a copy of where the boundary is in relation to that wall, for 20 years time...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

A timber panel fence? If you have to erect on your property only, you'll lose less space with a panel fence over brick. Should only need a handful of fence posts to be put in place.

You don't need to offer your neighbour a reason or excuse for building the boundary if you're happy to put it entirely on your side.

• Advertisement

I own the concrete and the pebbles, they own the cobble lock. I have a 1.5 metres on my side and they have 3 metre wide cobble lock parking. See attached. My side is grubby thanks to their cowboy cleaners.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

If they have 3m cobble lock why don't they park on that? If there's no management company and they own the cobble lock they can put in parking bollards that drop to prevent their neighbours parking on their property

They do park on their side but open their car door onto our side which I could prevent by building a wall. We have a window facing onto their parking which we have obscured for privacy. I would discuss first but would it be seen as a hostile act? Life is too short to fall out with people.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

looking at it there, doesnt look too grubby.

1) walls cost money
    2) do you even see yourself in the house in say.. 10 years. You already said you dont like the outside.

Maybe live with it and dont spend money on something that wont bother you in your next house?

It's all rhetorical. I just wanted to know if I could put up a wall. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Get the cowboys back to wash your path they will just move the dirt back onto the cobble blocks :D

On a serious not l agree with the above poster ,, walls aren't cheap , your not gaining much by putting up a wall.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

hedge will not last

The cowboys are back in rathkeale😂. I've no money to be spending on hypothetical walls but it's good to know I could if I wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    hedge will not last

My hedges beg to differ. I'm at the entrance to an estate and I got fed up with people taking shortcuts through my side. Now I've 7ft hedges that make my home more private

• Registered Users Posts: 23,516 ✭✭✭✭ted1

A fence would be the cheapest option or put your wheelie bins in the stones

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

ted1 wrote: »
    A fence would be the cheapest option or put your wheelie bins in the stones

Or a few decorative boulders dumped along the stones...

Advertisement