Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Watch - what am I missing?

Options
  • 14-09-2020 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭

I got myself an Apple Watch (S5) a few months back - did loads of research and finally went for it. No doubt it is beautifully made but I find myself just not using it as much as I thought I would be in y daily routine.

To be completely honest, aside from telling me the time I dont use it for much else. I very occasionally use the app for recording a run if my Garmin ForeRunner's battery is dead (and the Garmin is a much more powerful watch for running).

I don't have a Spotify or Apple Music account so streaming music via these isn't really an option for me, and I find the syncing of podcasts across very clumbersome.

I'm thinking of just selling it - disappointed that I'm not getting out of it what I expected to and what everyone else seems to.

Has anyone on here had the same experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I got myself an Apple Watch (S5) a few months back - did loads of research and finally went for it. No doubt it is beautifully made but I find myself just not using it as much as I thought I would be in y daily routine.

To be completely honest, aside from telling me the time I dont use it for much else. I very occasionally use the app for recording a run if my Garmin ForeRunner's battery is dead (and the Garmin is a much more powerful watch for running).

I don't have a Spotify or Apple Music account so streaming music via these isn't really an option for me, and I find the syncing of podcasts across very clumbersome.

I'm thinking of just selling it - disappointed that I'm not getting out of it what I expected to and what everyone else seems to.

Has anyone on here had the same experience?

What were your expectations to get out of it? Tbh if you asked me would it suit you I would have said no based on the info you mentioned above. Garmin's are a dedicated running watch, the Apple Watch can't won't compete with it. The Apple Watch is a more all-rounder, music/notifications/general fitness. If you don't listen to music and you already have a dedicated watch for fitness then the only real thing left is having Siri on the wrist to send messages or if you have home kit devices turning on lights/fans/blinds etc.

Also remember not every product is for everyone and that's totally ok, do you have a partner who might get some use out of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭splashthecash

She is a runner too and not a tech follower like myself. I don't know what I was expecting to be honest, just that I would use it more than I am but I am happy to pick up my phone to still do most things that I could do on the watch (weather, mail..)

Thanks ;)

Also I forgot one other thing that I really love my watch for; is Apple Pay, as long as the watch is on my wrist I have a payment method with me at all time. So if I leave my phone (when I go out for walks), and if I need to grab something like a drink or get a text to say "Hey pick up x" I can pay. Doing FaceId with my 11 pro is annoying for Apple Pay with a mask on, I always have to input my Passcode which is an 8+ digit alphanumeric password.

Although dependent on which Garmin you have and who you bank with (KBC have Garmin Pay) you may already have this on your existing watch.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I use mine for reading notifications, recording workouts and payments.

Don't really use any of the other features. Most of the apps are a bit crap on a small screen.

awec wrote: »
    Don't really use any of the other features. Most of the apps are a bit crap on a small screen.

Totally agree here, Apps aren't great but some third party complications (that you only get from downloading the apps) are useful. But I could count the amount of time I've used an app on the watch on one hand, it's just a sub-par experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Apps are largely pointless, although I do play Space Invaders, Pong and a bowling game when I'm bored. Then there's the handy tools like map directions, Apple Pay, music control and Hive home heating controls. But by and large, apps that do more than just present information or that you have to interact with more than just a tap aren't any use.

Complications and notifications, on the other hand, can be great and make the Apple Watch a useful tool for me. I've two basic faces set up (both Modular) - one for work, one for leisure. Work one has my Outlook calendar in the middle, so I can see what and when my next meeting is, email and world clock set up for the US city my company is based. Then I get Teams and Skype notification coming in, and I get Microsoft Authenticator notifications that allow me to use 2FA to easily log in to certain systems on my work laptop.

Leisure face is tide times for the beach I use, weather info and some workout/exercise stuff.

I'd love there to be a way to automate switching faces based on a time schedule or even geolocation, but it's pretty easy to swipe them into place.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I use it for

Workout
    Listening to music during workouts.
    Shazam (all the time)
    Sending messages via Siri whilst driving which is very handy.
    Message Notifications.
    Apple Pay (which is great nowadays as you don't need faceid for it which is awkward with a mask)
    Weather
    Heart Rate monitor.

I don't understand why the OP bought it if they intended to use a Garmin for workouts.

There's nothing really on any smartwatch that you couldn't do without unlike with a telephone but for me they're all nice to have and a nice extra to have.

I think they'll also become more useful as more and more heath features come onto it..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭ablelocks

i use mine for reminders/notifications/siri/walks & workouts tracking

but picking up some useful tips from the rest of ye!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭loinnsigh

Top uses for mine:

Running / cycling / Workouts (Strava - no need to have phone with you)
    Podcasts while working out (no need to have phone with you)
    Silent alarm (doesn't wake the wife when I get up at 4am)
    Apple Pay
    Calendar alerts
    Timers (hey siri set a timer for 3 mins - very handy when cooking)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I find mine handy for putting my phone away and I just read notifications on my watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Pee torch ... navigating your way to the toilet during the night!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

making peasants jealous of your obvious greater social status.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

ablelocks wrote: »
    i use mine for reminders/notifications/siri/walks & workouts tracking

but picking up some useful tips from the rest of ye!
    I use my phone for same :)

IrishHomer wrote: »
    I use my phone for same :)

Yes but doing exercise, particularly running without your phone is much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

How effective/ accurate is the heart rate monitor on Apple watches?
    Is it easily viewed while jogging etc.?

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Cerco wrote: »
    Is it easily viewed while jogging etc.?

Every time you do a workout in the Workout app (where you'd track your runs etc) it will constantly monitor your heartrate and it's always shown on screen. On the later watches I think the accuracy is pretty good, at least for a wrist monitor.

Outside of workouts it's only sporadically checked I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭drogon.

Cerco wrote: »

Worth a read https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204666
    For best results
    Start with a good fit. Even under ideal conditions, Apple Watch may not be able to get a reliable heart rate reading every time for everybody. And for a small percentage of users, various factors may make it impossible to get any heart rate reading at all. But there are things you can do to help Apple Watch get the most consistent and best heart rate readings possible. Learn what else affects your reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

murpho999 wrote: »
    Yes but doing exercise, particularly running without your phone is much better.

Cool.

I was thinking of getting one but just realised I'm 50yrs old and recently my eyesight is dreadful I'd never be able to see text on such a small screen unless I had reading glasses on. :(

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Cool.

I was thinking of getting one but just realised I'm 50yrs old and recently my eyesight is dreadful I'd never be able to see text on such a small screen unless I had reading glasses on. :(

Yes but I find I don't really read stuff on phone whilst exercising. It's more for recording.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I've been toying with the idea of a smartwatch since I took up running in lockdown.

Requirements:

- Track runs in Strava/MapMyRide
    - Listen to Podcasts on the go (don't mind about syncing them over wifi).

Basically, I want to leave the iPhone XR at home because it's too bloody big to run with.

The new Watch SE looks very tempting. In the smaller size too which I'd prefer.

Also, what's the story with the cellular option? I do not know how that works!

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭drogon.

Dades wrote: »

We have no network providers that support esim, so you are out of luck for the moment. But this could change in the future.

I've been toying with the idea of a smartwatch since I took up running in lockdown.

Requirements:

Basically, I want to leave the iPhone XR at home because it's too bloody big to run with.

The new Watch SE looks very tempting. In the smaller size too which I'd prefer.

Thanks!

Not sure on Strava/MapMyRide stuff.

Podcasts can sync over using the podcast app or some of the third party apps like overcast, pocket casts, Castro etc.

Cellular option is not sold in Ireland as none of our carriers support eSim functionality which the cellular models require. how this works is the watch has it's own phone number but if it's out of bluetooth range of your phone it forwards the call to your watch, if your watch is within range of wifi/phone it basically shuts off the cellular radio. it's quite eloquent how they do it but useless for us right now unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Requirements:

I haven’t had a AW since the S4 but yes it good for Strava works perfectly with AW. Don’t use mmr as Strava does all that too.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭fasterbetter

I'm using Strava on apple watch for about 2 years and also use it to listen to podcasts and music while running... works great and is much more comfortable than having to have a phone with you all the time....only thing is you will need wireless ear buds of some sort

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

Requirements:

Garmin 645 Music for €245 in argos currently.

Garmin pay (NFC - works with Revolut), physical buttons (no sweaty hands on a touchscreen during a run), much longer battery life than any Apple watch on the market, supports music (dedicated Spotify, deezer and other apps, also can't click and drag music via pc), much better fitness interface/reports. Not trying to diss any Apple watches at all, but the above definitely fits the bill and leaves you with money in the pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

dashoonage wrote: »
    making peasants jealous of your obvious greater social status.

I know you're joking, but I do find this sort of thing funny. Apple Watches are cheap and disposable. I guess it shows how elitist the watch industry has become that the average person has no idea what a luxury watch looks like, costs, and how long they last. For example, I'm currently wearing an Omega (made in 1956) which looks like new and has increased in value over time.

rizzee wrote: »
    Garmin 645 Music for €245 in argos currently.

Garmin pay (NFC - works with Revolut), physical buttons (no sweaty hands on a touchscreen during a run), much longer battery life than any Apple watch on the market, supports music (dedicated Spotify, deezer and other apps, also can't click and drag music via pc), much better fitness interface/reports. Not trying to diss any Apple watches at all, but the above definitely fits the bill and leaves you with money in the pocket.

Seriously sweaty hands on a touchscreen? That really is not a problem as you're only using your fingertip.
    I find the lack of confusing butt
    ons on the watch to be a benefit.
    Garmins are good but Apple Watch is best smartwatch out there and it can do lots of things and fits in perfectly with your other apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

murpho999 wrote: »
    Seriously sweaty hands on a touchscreen? That really is not a problem as you're only using your fingertip.
    I find the lack of confusing butt
    ons on the watch to be a benefit.
    Garmins are good but Apple Watch is best smartwatch out there and it can do lots of things and fits in perfectly with your other apps.

Physical buttons are easier to use on runs. There's no debate on this.

Garmins are better for running, which is part of what the user above posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

I’d have to agree I’ve 945 and it’s lot easier as outlined above compared to the AW.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Advertisement

Well I would disagree so there is a debate on it as it's just your opinion.

When I run I press start and then stop at the end. All very easy. I don't see why you need to press lots of buttons whilst running.

Advertisement