Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Watch - what am I missing?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭drogon.

rizzee wrote: »
    Physical buttons are easier to use on runs. There's no debate on this.

Garmins are better for running, which is part of what the user above posted.

Or you could just ask Siri to start and end it for you, just press the Digital Crown to activate siri and tell it to start a workout.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

drogon. wrote: »
    Or you could just ask Siri to start and end it for you, just press the Digital Crown to activate siri and tell it to start a workout.

So pressing a button then ;)

Anyway, at risk of derailing the thread, best of luck OP. Plenty of options out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Anyway, at risk of derailing the thread, best of luck OP. Plenty of options out there.

Yes but it's only one button. So easy.

The thing is both watches are good for running and it comes down to personal preference but I personally don't see any advantages in a watch having multiple buttons they generally have confusing functionality that can change within different menus.

Actually you don't even need to press a button :D
    Just raise the watch and ask Siri ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Thanks for the responses, all.
    Garmin 645 Music for €245 in argos currently.

Garmin pay (NFC - works with Revolut), physical buttons (no sweaty hands on a touchscreen during a run), much longer battery life than any Apple watch on the market, supports music (dedicated Spotify, deezer and other apps, also can't click and drag music via pc), much better fitness interface/reports. Not trying to diss any Apple watches at all, but the above definitely fits the bill and leaves you with money in the pocket.
    I'm kinda invested in the Apple ecosystem tbh (inc Airpods)! I only really listen to my subscribed podcasts when out, and the idea of loading music onto a device seems a bit retro. I might also wear the 40mm watch a bit more than a chunky dedicated sports watch.

Interesting that cellular is not supported. I couldn't figure out why that wasn't an option in the Irish store.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Dades wrote: »
    Thanks for the responses, all.

I'm kinda invested in the Apple ecosystem tbh (inc Airpods)! I only really listen to my subscribed podcasts when out, and the idea of loading music onto a device seems a bit retro. I might also wear the 40mm watch a bit more than a chunky dedicated sports watch.

Interesting that cellular is not supported. I couldn't figure out why that wasn't an option in the Irish store.

You also load music on to your watch but via your phone Watch app. Easy enough but you will not have full access to your music library when using watch without your phone.
    One of the drawbacks of not having cellular.

That being said it's quick and easy process just go Music in watch app and select what you want. Playlsts can be added too.

Podcasts is the same.

Never been a problem for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Question is a new se a better buy or a second hand series 5?

Don't currently have a Apple watch

CptMackey wrote: »
    Question is a new se a better buy or a second hand series 5?

Don't currently have a Apple watch

SE is the exact same as the S5, minus ECG and always on display. Has the same processor and all if I recall correctly.
    So depends if those features are important to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

For me there are 2 types of people, ones who drink whiskey with coke, others neat or on the rocks. Same with steak, there’s the well done guy and the medium rare guy. Guess which one wears an Apple Watch?

SE is the exact same as the S5, minus ECG and always on display. Has the same processor and all if I recall correctly.
    So depends if those features are important to you.

Ok. Not sure the ECG is a big issue for me. Always on display might be handy tho. Food for thought

• Advertisement

CptMackey wrote: »
    Ok. Not sure the ECG is a big issue for me. Always on display might be handy tho. Food for thought

Yup - Also remember, you can just raise to wake the watch :D

Also if buying second hand, you don't know how the previous owner took care of it and lack of warranty etc.

Also if buying second hand, you don't know how the previous owner took care of it and lack of warranty etc.

Ya that is always off putting buying second hand for any tech

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

I upgraded from a Series 3 to a Series 5 last year. Within a couple of days I had turned off the always on display, mainly due to saving the battery life. But I just have no need for it to be on the whole time. If I was in your position CptMackey, I’d buy the SE

naasrd wrote: »
    For me there are 2 types of people, ones who drink whiskey with coke, others neat or on the rocks. Same with steak, there’s the well done guy and the medium rare guy. Guess which one wears an Apple Watch?
    d97.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

naasrd wrote: »

I understand what you're getting at, but I think there are levels of this.

For example, let's talk about Omega. Their marketing (loads of 007 type stuff) is aimed at fantasists who think they're special. So this would be school teachers and engineers who think they're being classy by wearing a modern Seamaster but actually they're just deluded. On the other hand, someone who wears a classic Omega (e.g. Constellation from the 1950s) is probably a bit more sophisticated and prefers understated traditional watches. But go to omegaforums.com and notice these people tend to be utter cúnts. Certainly a lot less likeable than Apple Watch wearers.

I think the average Apple Watch wearer knows almost nothing about the history of watches, doesn't care about the history of watches, and probably isn't the most sophisticated person. But that's fine. We know from psychology that about 80% of the population are considered "Guardians" (there are multiple terms you can swap in here). These are people who generally go with the flow, are easy to manipulate, and would be your typical Jack and Coke type of person. We need these people. Without them society becomes unstable (we can't have a society full of mavericks and artists) so instead of looking down on Apple Watch folk, you should be grateful they exist.

Personally I can't see the point of an Apple Watch and I think modern Omegas are an embarrassment.

Note I've had a few beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Can we not just let people enjoy things? like who cares if you wear a $20 Casio, a $100 Vostok, a $200 Seiko, a $400 Apple Watch, a $5k Omega/JLC, a $10k Rolex or a $50k AP/Patek/VC/FP Journe/etc.

What's kind of humorous is I frequent the Watch forum here on boards and do have an Apple Watch and an 2000's Seamaster professional (sans 007 marks) both get the same amount of love in the forum as they don't care about it for the most part.

Can we people just not enjoy things? like who cares if you wear a $20 Casio, a $100 Vostok, a $200 Seiko, a $400 Apple Watch, a $5k Omega/JLC, a $10k Rolex or a $50k AP/Patek/VC/FP Journe/etc.

Nothing wrong with enjoying an Apple Watch. Overthinking watches is just a little mind game and not to be taken too seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with enjoying an Apple Watch. Overthinking watches is just a little mind game and not to be taken too seriously.

Why play mind games though, it just smacks of childish behaviour :confused:

Why play mind games though, it just smacks out childish behaviour :confused:

No, it's the opposite of that. Thinking things through and coming up with theories is something we should all do. It helps us think and understand the world beyond a shallow level. Most great philosophy came from mind games.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭peter4918

I understand what you're getting at, but I think there are levels of this.

For example, let's talk about Omega. Their marketing (loads of 007 type stuff) is aimed at fantasists who think they're special. So this would be school teachers and engineers who think they're being classy by wearing a modern Seamaster but actually they're just deluded. On the other hand, someone who wears a classic Omega (e.g. Constellation from the 1950s) is probably a bit more sophisticated and prefers understated traditional watches. But go to omegaforums.com and notice these people tend to be utter cúnts. Certainly a lot less likeable than Apple Watch wearers.

I think the average Apple Watch wearer knows almost nothing about the history of watches, doesn't care about the history of watches, and probably isn't the most sophisticated person. But that's fine. We know from psychology that about 80% of the population are considered "Guardians" (there are multiple terms you can swap in here). These are people who generally go with the flow, are easy to manipulate, and would be your typical Jack and Coke type of person. We need these people. Without them society becomes unstable (we can't have a society full of mavericks and artists) so instead of looking down on Apple Watch folk, you should be grateful they exist.

Personally I can't see the point of an Apple Watch and I think modern Omegas are an embarrassment.

Note I've had a few beers.

What a load of absolute rubbish, beers or not. Although I think a persons watch preference or the way they drink JD maybe the least of your problems

• Advertisement

peter4918 wrote: »
    What a load of absolute rubbish, beers or not. Although I think a persons watch preference or the way they drink JD maybe the least of your problems

You seem to have taken my post very personally.

It's ok if you wear an Apple Watch and add coke to your whiskey. They may be crappy watches, and the whiskey may be ****e, but if you like them, go for it.

You seem to have taken my post very personally.

It's ok if you wear an Apple Watch and add coke to your whiskey. They may be crappy watches, and the whiskey may be ****e, but if you like them, go for it.

No didn’t take it personal at all but if you think drinking neat whiskey and wearing an old Omega watch somehow makes you sophisticated then I’m baffled but hey enjoy the beers, Good luck!

No didn’t take it personal at all but if you think drinking neat whiskey and wearing an old Omega watch somehow makes you sophisticated then I’m baffled but hey enjoy the beers, Good luck!

I never said that but hey make up things and attack me for it, why not.

Not sure why people are comparing Omegas to Apple watches. Other than a strap they've nothing in common.

You get **** wearing both, of course. Usually making assumptions judged on what people are wearing on their wrists.

Dades wrote: »
    You get **** wearing both, of course. Usually making assumptions judged on what people are wearing on their wrists.

Yes, a watch tells you absolutely nothing about a person.

When you see a guy wearing a Patek, you cannot come to any conclusions about him.

Is he wealthy? Is he poor? We'll never know.

Yes, a watch tells you absolutely nothing about a person.

Yesterday, you seemed to be able to tell a lot about the average person who wore an Apple Watch?

Yesterday, you seemed to be able to tell a lot about the average person who wore an Apple Watch?

Sarcasm.

But you knew that of course.

Ah, so that's the rub. A watch is a wealthometer.

I stopped wearing a watch 10 years ago. I must be skint!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I have no interest in an Apple watch, because I have nothing else Apple related.
    But it did pick up a heart condition on someone I know. They suspected something but the watch confirmed it.

I think I'll probably get a Garmin myself, though not for exercise, but for all the other features.

• Advertisement
Advertisement