Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Right lads, are we going to win tomorrow?
    I really hope we do and believe we can if our big players perform but my head is saying we're going to lose.
    Hope the heart is right though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

I really hope we do and believe we can if our big players perform but my head is saying we're going to lose.

As a neutral I think Waterford have a great chance to be honest, the forecast is brutal which will also help, don't think there is as much between the teams as the bookies would have you think, Liam Cahill teams will not want for effort and work rate or he simply wont tolerate them and for me that could be the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Ian OB

Re watching tomorrows match.

I have a NowTV dongle for the telly. As I'm working tomorrow afternoon, if I buy the Sky Sports package is it possible to watch it back on the Sunday?

Haven't had occasion to buy anything other than the movie package from them until now. Apologies if the query is on the dumb side.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I'm going to put myself out there and say yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭tommylad1212

Limestone1 wrote: »
    Where is Colin Dunford these days ?

Didn't make the match day squad along with hogan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,271 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

123267266_3443653735718646_6847562648691692355_o.jpg?_nc_cat=104&ccb=2&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=wMDMMuutk3QAX-BAUzm&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=1e5c0eb4d2aec3df8677e191af0b8171&oe=5FC2F6C5

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭upthedeise16

PTH2009 wrote: »
    123267266_3443653735718646_6847562648691692355_o.jpg?_nc_cat=104&ccb=2&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=wMDMMuutk3QAX-BAUzm&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=1e5c0eb4d2aec3df8677e191af0b8171&oe=5FC2F6C5

That’s a strong team, I give them a fair chance of turning over Limerick

That’s a strong team, I give them a fair chance of turning over Limerick

yeah they have no fear going into the game tomorrow night

Winners play Clare or Tipp in the semi finals, with the other semi been Cork vs Kerry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Sounds like there will be a gale tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Looking at the starting team, particularly the 6 forwards, Im asking where are the scores going to come from? 2 of the half forward line are backs, Fagan is a mainly a workhorse and 2 of the full forward line are untested at this level.

• Advertisement

Looking at the starting team, particularly the 6 forwards, Im asking where are the scores going to come from? 2 of the half forward line are backs, Fagan is a mainly a workhorse and 2 of the full forward line are untested at this level.

I think Gleeson will move to the half forward line to add scoring power. We need himself, Fagan, Kieran Bennett and Prendergast to chip in with a few scores and good ball supplied to Bennett and Hutchison as they have potential to do damage inside.

At midfield, Barron has the potential to hit a few from play and even ghost into goal scoring positions. Himself and Dillon are good distributors so hopefully will get on the required ball to feed our forwards.

Feels so odd not be gearing up for the trip to Thurles

Hopefully we see a very different Waterford team too the last championship one. Cahill strikes me as a person who doesn't take **** or any half arsing

Great to have something to look forward too

I think Gleeson will move to the half forward line to add scoring power. We need himself, Fagan, Kieran Bennett and Prendergast to chip in with a few scores and good ball supplied to Bennett and Hutchison as they have potential to do damage inside.

At midfield, Barron has the potential to hit a few from play and even ghost into goal scoring positions. Himself and Dillon are good distributors so hopefully will get on the required ball to feed our forwards.

Agree, makes much more sense to have Gleeson in the forwards given how bottom heavy we are with backs vs quality scoring forwards. Maybe it’s a ploy by Cahill to throw the Cork mgt team off. If last weekend is any precedent, the losing sides were hitting 23 or 24 points. It seems you need to be hitting over 30 points on the board to stand a chance in this championship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Agree, makes much more sense to have Gleeson in the forwards given how bottom heavy we are with backs vs quality scoring forwards. Maybe it’s a ploy by Cahill to throw the Cork mgt team off. If last weekend is any precedent, the losing sides were hitting 23 or 24 points. It seems you need to be hitting over 30 points on the board to stand a chance in this championship.

Conditions were perfect last weekend though, won't be so tomorrow

Cork Team:
    Anthony Nash (Kanturk)
    Damien Cahalane (St Finbarrs)
    Colm Spillane (Castlelyons)
    Sean O’ Donoghue (Inniscarra)
    Christopher Joyce (Na Piarsaigh)
    Robert Downey (Glen Rovers)
    Mark Coleman (Blarney)
    Bill Cooper (Youghal)
    Tim O’ Mahony (Newtownshandrum)
    Seamus Harnedy (St Itas)
    Conor Lehane (Midleton)
    Aidan Walsh (Kanturk)
    Alan Cadogan (Douglas)
    Shane Kingston (Douglas)
    Patrick Horgan (Glen Rovers)

Cork Team:
    Anthony Nash (Kanturk)
    Damien Cahalane (St Finbarrs)
    Colm Spillane (Castlelyons)
    Sean O’ Donoghue (Inniscarra)
    Christopher Joyce (Na Piarsaigh)
    Robert Downey (Glen Rovers)
    Mark Coleman (Blarney)
    Bill Cooper (Youghal)
    Tim O’ Mahony (Newtownshandrum)
    Seamus Harnedy (St Itas)
    Conor Lehane (Midleton)
    Aidan Walsh (Kanturk)
    Alan Cadogan (Douglas)
    Shane Kingston (Douglas)
    Patrick Horgan (Glen Rovers)

Strong team

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭thesultan

Weak team.. Back line very suspect. If we keep Horgan quiet we will win

Strong team

It’s like Kingston just picked the same team from last year. Similarly, Wexford are starting the same team as their semi-final last year but that’s irrelevant.

That full back line can be got at, there’s weakness there that can be exploited. Downey isn’t proven at this level either and had struggles last year, mainly at full back. Christopher Joyce has been inconsistent and on and off the team. Tim O’Mahony has gone from centre back to centre forward and now midfield and hasn’t been exceptional in any of the positions.

It’s upfront where they are strongest but some of those picked blow hot and cold. Lehane can shoot the lights out or be contained, Walsh has had more bad than good days with the hurlers but the 4 others have potential to cause our backs problems. Harnedy can win ball, draw defenders and score. Cadogan and Kingston has pace to burn and the ability to score goals and points and Horgan is just a scoring machine, a class act. Match ups will be key but I would probably go with Prunty on Horgan, McNulty on Cadogan, Fives on Kingston in the full back line.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Dont Stop

They have very good forwards but we an excellent backline. So can we get at them at the other end!?! Certainly hope so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Must be some sort of record

Dessie Hutchinson played Championship soccer with Waterford FC, Championship football with Waterford and now championship Hurling

Some going for the guy
    Lee Chin has done the same with 3 Wexford teams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭conor05

It’s like Kingston just picked the same team from last year. Similarly, Wexford are starting the same team as their semi-final last year but that’s irrelevant.

That full back line can be got at, there’s weakness there that can be exploited. Downey isn’t proven at this level either and had struggles last year, mainly at full back. Christopher Joyce has been inconsistent and on and off the team. Tim O’Mahony has gone from centre back to centre forward and now midfield and hasn’t been exceptional in any of the positions.

It’s upfront where they are strongest but some of those picked blow hot and cold. Lehane can shoot the lights out or be contained, Walsh has had more bad than good days with the hurlers but the 4 others have potential to cause our backs problems. Harnedy can win ball, draw defenders and score. Cadogan and Kingston has pace to burn and the ability to score goals and points and Horgan is just a scoring machine, a class act. Match ups will be key but I would probably go with Prunty on Horgan, McNulty on Cadogan, Fives on Kingston in the full back line.

All of that Wexford team from 1-20 play to a very finely tuned system so he does tend to start the same 15. That systems seems to be motoring even better this year if training can be believed.

Cork are different, it seems it’s nearly harder to get off the team than on it for some lads.

Straight away I am seeing 3 Cork forwards who won’t work or tackle without the ball tomorrow.

They rely on Horgan causing wreck backed up by Cadogan and Harnedy.

Joyce while tough as nails has no pace for wing back and Cahalane is prone to brainless hurling even though he has improved a bit in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Ian OB wrote: »
    Re watching tomorrows match.

I have a NowTV dongle for the telly. As I'm working tomorrow afternoon, if I buy the Sky Sports package is it possible to watch it back on the Sunday?

Haven't had occasion to buy anything other than the movie package from them until now. Apologies if the query is on the dumb side.

If it's any help, Sky Sports Mix is on both the general Sky TV service (you don't need the Sky Sports Package) and Virgin Media TV. You can record the channel on either of these services. I don't know if it will be reshown on the Sky Sports Package - can you look their channels up on https://entertainment.ie to check this?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ovalu

Our bench looks very weak, is Colm Roche on the panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waternut

Someone asked earlier but does anyone know why Iarlaith Daly, Sheehan and Hogan are not on the bench? Are they injured or dropped? And I assume Darragh Fives is injured again??

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭tommylad1212

Waternut wrote: »
    Someone asked earlier but does anyone know why Iarlaith Daly, Sheehan and Hogan are not on the bench? Are they injured or dropped? And I assume Darragh Fives is injured again??

Daly,fives inj, Hogan not in match day squad ,

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

The last time there was a blue moon in October (as there is this year) was in 1974. Guess who Waterford beat in the senior hurling championship in 1974? Just saying, like... And it is Halloween (time for pishoges and magic).

Giveitfong wrote: »
    The last time there was a blue moon in October (as there is this year) was in 1974. Guess who Waterford beat in the senior hurling championship in 1974? Just saying, like... And it is Halloween (time for pishoges and magic).

I wouldn’t even say your clutching at straws there... tbf I can imagine there’s an eerie feeling in Thurles today. Empty streets and closed pubs on Munster championship day

Up the deise

Best of luck to the hurlers and footballers

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Football on sky sports mix gone to extra time. Feck it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

I've been trying the red button on sky sports mix on now TV but it doesn't seem to work. They said waterford v Cork coverage starting now

Advertisement