Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Was in the queue for about 2 hours today and 4,000 were ahead of me. I got to the ticket section and after entering the password and everything else, i got to select tickets and for some reason, it wouldn't accept any credit card I put in so it timed out on me so no tickets for me. I hope they went to a good home so the couch for me on Saturday. I can understand the system for tickets due to Covid but it is quite a slog to get tickets so well done to any who got some.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Just on this, it's very finicky and requires each field to have a tick at the end. To get said tick you need to hit next to move to the next field. Otherwise even tho you will have the field filled in the submit button at the end won't work

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭tommylad1212

Tickets will be coming back from clubs in the morning, from what I'm hearing there is a good few been returned,and people have single tickets for sale ,just keep an ear out

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Lads I wouldn't panic about tickets just yet in last hour I was offered 5 here in limerick and this time yesterday we were all panicking they'll come through

Hoping for a good match and may the best team win if we were to be beaten its Waterford I'd love to see winning it out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭decies

Clonliffe College Car Park 

Clonliffe College parking will not be open to spectators this Saturday, August 7th and Sunday, August 8th

JUST A REMINDER

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Any team news from the camp? Given that we're now closer to the weekend's game and nobody seems to have reported anything in the way of injuries (or Covid outbreaks, touch wood!) would suggest we've a clean bill of health (obviously barring de Burca and Pauric M.). Shane and Kieran Bennett took some heavy knocks on Saturday that made me fear they weren't going to be able to continue but thankfully pulled through. Peter Hogan went down late on with what looked like cramp before being called ashore. Austin also hooked off near the end although most likely just to getting fresh legs on the pitch.

The big question is will there be any changes. The most likely in my mind, and was mentioned here the other day, is maybe Monty to start ahead of Curran. We can't be lacking in the physicality stakes in any way on Saturday and Monty brings that bit more physicality than Curran. A harder one to call will be to replace Conor Gleeson with McNulty in the full back line. Gleeson did very well in the 35mins against Galway before getting the line but McNulty did equally as well against Tipp last weekend. Maybe Gleeson on the basis of having the fresher legs but I'm sure we'll see whoever doesn't start (McNulty, Curran, Kiely, D. Lyons, Power etc.) at some stage as the bench will be crucial when fatigue starts to set in late on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Interesting to see what happens with Conor Gleeson. For me he is a must as he is one of the best man markers in the game, and as he showed in the first half v Galway his distribution of the ball is top notch aswell. Limerick have a few key marquee forwards that need following particularly Gillane and Cian Lynch. But we know Cahill isn’t into reputations and is also hard on indiscipline.

A lot of talk about 4 weeks on the bounce. Mullane on the independent podcast dosent beleive it will be an issue. Says the conditioning of players in the modern game and the age profile of this team means that its not a a factor anymore. The training midweek will be light and the intensity of the games every week will stand to Waterford more than Limericks training sessions which will carry a lot more intensity as their not getting regular games.

I’d like to think he has a good point but you’d have to look how we faded in the final quarter in the last 2 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭JD. 60

Whatever Mullane says, you would have to think that 4 weeks in a row is a disadvantage but that's the hand we've been dealt. I'm sure the Galway & Tipp players would much prefer to be in Croke Park this weekend as opposed to watching it on the box.

Limerick will have noted how strongly Waterford started in the last 2 games and will want to 'get stuck in' early doors.

I agree with earlier comment about the knocks taken by Kieran & Shane Bennett ; however, those Bennett lads are tough as nails.

Even though you never want to change a winning team, will Cahill make some alterations to the starting line up, bearing in mind the 'fatigue' factor, noting some of the players hobbling off near the end of the last 2 matches.

Just listening to Kellie Harrington on the radio, quoting her brother who said .... "the last mile is never crowded".

To be in with a shout of getting to the AI Final is where you want to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

Ref will be key here I feel.

If we get a similar performance last week where we scored 1 free the whole game, Limerick will exploit and foul us out of the game.

The winning of the game will be whether our lads can find the free man as they have done on the last 2 games.

While we are scoring plenty there have been signs of the old failings - running down blind alleys, holding onto ball too long before getting hooked.

Limerick will look to exploit this so I think we will need a plan B or go direct strategy at stages of the game if we are to prevail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 crobar

For me, the one change I'd be really thinking about would be to have Michael Kiely in from the start. Has been great when he's come on those last few games. Also adds that bit of extra height and physicality up front, perhaps if the conditions for Sat don't look too great he could be a good option to consider from the start.

I have 2 'spare' Premium Tickets for Saturday.

Earlier in the week, I was frantically trying various contacts and am now surprised to have surplus tickets. If interested, please send me a PM (the price per ticket is a bit saucy but I'm trying to recover what it's costing me ; this season, premium ticket holders can purchase on a game by game basis instead of being guaranteed a seat).

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭waterfordgirl

Tickets gone on general sale now

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Dexpat

Thanks for that. No luck yesterday. Got to the top of the queue a few times but couldn't buy anything.

Finally got sorted today. Up the Deise.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Tickets for the minor final on Monday are on sale through the Munster gaa website at the minute.

Yep 10 euros usually pod of 2 or 4 limited to 4000 or so

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭fuinneamh

Unknowns for Saturday:

Will the ref tick/card Limerick forwards and stop them from systematically fouling in our half?

If the ref leaves everything go, can we get our running game going?

Can Dessie get the best of Sean Finn? (got cleaned out twice last year)

Can Barron play his usual game? (got cleaned out twice last year)

How will Stephen Bennett go on the frees? He's missed a lot this year, we need him to be 95%+

Of these I think we need Dessie to step up the most as the ball never stuck in the full forward line last year. He's got to win the ball, take Finn on and beat him. If he can achieve this, this would almost be an 8 point swing immediately.

After this, if we can anyway get our running game going and put Limerick on the back foot in any sort of way; then we're massively in with a chance of winning. Limerick will press up on our defence to prevent the creation of overlaps keeping one half back in their half. If we can get the ball to a Waterford free man and run at them, there will be acres of space and expect goal chances. Limerick fouled anytime there was a hint of this happening last year, so crucial the ref keeps them honest with ticks and cards.

Poor old Dessie, Jamie & Stephen ...... not much sympathy there.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,292 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Match sold out

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭fuinneamh

Unfortunately there's no sympathy on the scoreboard either. I'm just pointing out what I feel we need to get right to win on Saturday.

Dessie/Jamie have been utter class against every other team in the championship and are significant reasons why we win games. If Limerick stop them hurling like last year, it's very unlikely we'll win. Hopefully the lads step up another gear or Cahill/Bevans have a gameplan which suits them better.

Stephen has again been class all year and last but do you think we can afford him missing 3/4 frees against Limerick like he did against Clare/Laois on Saturday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

Hi folks, have a spare ticket for the game on Saturday if anyone hasn't got sorted. Face value €50. Collection in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Ian OB

• Registered Users Posts: 17 cnocsion

Doubt it will be released until tomorrow night.

Imagine cahill will keep same starting 15,with gleeson back on bench and talk of daly making bench also...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

I hope that thug Gillane gets cleaned out on Saturday evening. He’s an accident waiting to happen and he’s going to cost Limerick at some stage. Could it be Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

• Registered Users Posts: 1 poncho89

Pod of 3 tickets available for Tomorrow section 726 if anyone is looking

Think plenty spare going around a lot of people bought too many for fear of missing out then discovered their friends did the same .

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Waterford played some marvellous hurling against Tipperary last Saturday and, as in the previous week, showed great resilience in fending off a late comeback from their opponents. They also racked up a score which, to my mind, was the county’s highest ever in the senior hurling championship.

Despite all this, Waterford were rather fortunate to come out at the right end of the contest.  They were definitely the better team in the first half, and only a soft goal for Tipperary and an Austin Gleeson shot that went the wrong side of the post kept the Premier County in touch at half-time. In addition, Tipperary’s first goal came directly from a clearance after Stephen Bennett went in search of a low-probability goal when he had a tap-over point for the taking.

I expected Tipp to throw everything at Waterford in the second half, as a loss here was likely to mean the end of the road for many of their outstanding veterans. And that is how things transpired, as Tipp greatly raised their work rate after the change of ends, fought like tigers all over the field, and got quite a bounce from the regular infusion of fresh legs, with Mark Kehoe in particular making a big impression.

This territorial dominance was reflected in the fact that they had 24 shots at goal in the second half, compared with Waterford’s 16 (four of which came in added time). Unfortunately for Tipperary, nine of these shots went wide, one was blocked out for a (converted) 65 and one yielded a point when it should have been a goal. By comparison, Waterford had the possibly unique distinction of scoring all their second half shots at goal. They also got a crucial goal from a very fortuitous penalty award.

Seamus Callanan’s goal miss was almost unbelievable given his stature as a goal machine. And, for an experienced player, John McGrath showed very poor judgement in shooting for the near post, where three defenders were stationed, rather than for the far post, with his first goal chance and then blasting a waste-high ball at Shaun O’Brien with his second chance. If he had hit that ball off the ground, there may have been a different result to the game.

For an experienced team such as Tipperary, what was even more inexplicable was their insistence on taking on low-probability shots from out the field. Over the game, they hit no less than sixteen shots from halfway or beyond, and only scored five of them. This was extraordinary waste, especially given that they had Seamus Callanan and Bubbles O’Dwyer (who was deadly with the few balls he got) in the inside line.

Even then, having got an eight-point deficit down to just two, Tipperary seemed to be in the driving seat as added time loomed. However, to quote Enda McEvoy, writing in the Irish Examiner: “just when Tipperary had got both hands on their throat, Waterford broke free and Neil Montgomery finished the job. For the second Saturday in a row, the Déise compiled a deserved lead, saw it whittled down but prevented mass cardiac arrest among their supporters by finishing powerfully. Nothing wrong with their fitness and conditioning regime.”

A key factor in Tipperary’s second half dominance was the way they crowded the midfield area in order to stop Waterford’s running game at source. Their starting midfielders, Allen Flynn and Dan McCormack, had 30 possessions against 22 combined for Jamie Barron and Peter Hogan. However, the real influence in this area was Noel McGrath, who ran up the huge total of 23 possessions, whereas his Waterford counterpart, Patrick Curran, only managed nine, three of which came in one 30-second spell early in the second half when he failed with three successive attempts to pass the ball to team-mates. That said, one major difference which favoured Waterford was that their midfield trio racked up eight points between them, whereas Noel McGrath was the only one of their Tipperary counterparts to find the posts (twice).

I thought the Waterford fullback line did quite well in this game, with Conor Prunty recovering well from the concession of the early goals to completely wipe Seamus Callanan out. Shane Bennett again filled the centre-back position quite adequately while his brother Kieran possibly had his best game in a Waterford shirt, his 16 possessions being well ahead of any of his team-mates. Jack Prendergast didn’t get much in the way of possessions, but what he got he really used well. Austin Gleeson also had a fine game.

Once again, Waterford’s supposedly weak bench made a major contribution, none more so that Michael Kiely and Neil Montgomery. For a 20-year-old, Kiely is extraordinarily skilful and composed on the ball, and must be getting closer to a starting place in the team. With Conor Gleeson and possibly Iarlaith Daly back, Waterford will have even better back-up resources for the game against Limerick.

Finally, it was very heartening to read that not only is Pauric Mahony back playing again, but actually got the player-of-the-match award (with five points from play to boot) in Ballygunner’s win last week over Tallow in the final of the Waterford senior hurling league.

Waterford possession counts: Shaun O’Brien (4); Ian Kenny (8), Conor Prunty (9), Shane McNulty (10); Calum Lyons (11), Shane Bennett (10), Kieran Bennett (16); Jamie Barron (11), Peter Hogan (11); Jack Fagan (5), Jack Prendergast (8), Stephen Bennett (8); Dessie Hutchinson (10), Austin Gleeson (13), Patrick Curran (9); Kevin Moran (2), Michael Kiely (5), Neil Montgomery (5), Darragh Lyons (2), Colin Dunford (1), Billy Power (0).

Anybody know where you would buy online Waterford GAA car freshener on string things ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

One other observation, when before did a team score the exact same number of points and goals each half............half time score was 2-14 to 2-13, full time 2 x (2-14) to 2-27, also would 3-25 (I think) from play be close to a record and also the low overall free's awarded, does any statistician out there recall how many frees were awarded?

Advertisement