Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭seananigans

this absolutewly kills me, how can you say lads went down soft and conviently forgett they were hitt off the ball , off the ball is not part of the game, play hard for the ball, but dont tell me thats part of the game because it isnt, you want to hit lads go do boxing

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭1373

Thankfully, referees don’t do games with the rule book in their hand checking to see what’s on and what’s not . If the rule book was in full force last Sunday, two players would have walked at the throw in . Coghlan would have walked every Time the ball went over his head as he’d hit John mcgrath in the chest to check his run ( a definite sending off in the rule book according to you ) . As a Tipp man who was at the game , what annoyed me most apart from Noel’s sending off , was the rolling around on the ground by two guys who inflicted much worse than they received , it looked pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

I think any insinuation of Leavy rolling around is unfair. He does not see the challenge coming so he gets hit when he's not prepared. I think his reaction is justified. Actually if he saw it coming he probably wouldn't have fallen at all and it may not even have been picked up. Though I still don't think it was a red card offence.

Again I don't think John McGrath deserved a second card. Giveitfong compared it to Conor Gleeson in the 2017 all Ireland semi final which is fair, though Conor against Joe Canning this year fits better for me. One point that hasn't been picked up though is that when Loughmore won a free, they consistently got in the face of the Ballygunner player who gave it away and either verbally or physically got stuck in. It's an element of the game I don't like and take a far bigger issue than a few shoulders when jostling for position.

Finally the worst challenge in the entire game was the one from Barry O Sullivan and he's lucky he only got yellow.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Alf Tupper

He might not have seen it coming, but he should have been expecting it after giving similar to Noel seconds earlier. As for John, whatever about the second yellow, the first yellow looked totally bizarre. As often the case , a cheap yellow card comes back to bite later on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Pudz2180

Comment by the GAA journalist with the nenagh guardian. Totally out of order in my opinion

especially when he had no comment on the above video of paudie maher making a meal out of a small tap of the hurl

I taught the John McGrath sending off was harsh and coughlan did make a meal of it but people saying that leavy made a meal of the hit from Noel McGrath is ridiculous. He got a full force shoulder into the chest when unsighted. Don’t think many people would be still standing after that and as for him lying on the ground afterwards am sure he was winded after the hit so what was he meant to do. Noel McGrath shouldn’t have been sent off but leavys reaction was completely justified and natural

If one had to judge this generation of Ballygunner players, they have been poor standard bearers for the county,

Ballygunner were once a pretty rural outfit but have long since become an urban dynasty - and mainly a one family one at that.

This particular team are hard to like and that's not because they are successful within the county.

After all the 60's 3 in a row team and the first Munster Championship winning team were very well regarded,

it's hard to imagine Pat Flynn, Vinny Connors, Stephen Frampton, Fergal Hartley, Paul Flynn et al carrying on with this shite, let alone announcing their retirement from inter county in their prime to concentrate on a pipedream of winning a club All Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

Do you know anything about the Ballygunner players that have retired from playing inter county in the last few years? Absolutely nothing to do with putting all their eggs in one basket with the club. These are young fellas that have careers and young families. For anyone to take a snipe at them is unfair if you ask me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

I've no links to either club or Waterford or Tipperary but not in a month of Sunday's did Noel McGrath deserve a red, yellow yes but no more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Obi1mikal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭thesultan

He is right Ballygunner diving and looking for cards has no place in sport.

You swear thst leevy was hit by a twenty yard run by Jackie tyrell.

when Waterford won in 02 Six mount sion men played . Ballygunner have one certain starter this year after all their dominic under age and at adult. Fellas retiring with a few years left. Ken and Tony played until they could play no more..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

This is a totally moronic statement…..Leavy should have been expecting it……warped observation

From two feet hardly that forceful? He knocked him but the issue is he should have got up..

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Deise_abu

I will start with I wouldn't have given a red but can see the reason the ref did

For all the discussion about staying down, no one seems to have mentioned any where in the media or online that Noel himself stayed down, then noticed that there was no whistle or linesman flag and decided to sort it our himself

Players always stay down when the whistle goes, the day of jumping straight up are gone

Shoulder in the chest, off the ball, whistle goes, lads are being coached in every county to stay down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Any coach that advocates such ‘tactics’ should be ashamed of themselves, this cynical shite should be left to the neymars and other such ‘Lady buoys’…..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Deise_abu

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Ballygunner come in for fair criticism on this site, the vast majority of if being very one- sided - and for the record I have no connection with Ballygunner - my allegiances lie elsewhere - but i am an out and out Waterford man.

Ballygunner are an exceptional team, that work really hard at their game and give total commitment - thats what makes them as they are - now and then they unearth some gems such as Flynn, Hartley, Frampton and Dessie, but their backbone has always been a strong panel of "good committed club hurlers" . In actual fact many of the players that they have provided to the county especially over the last 7 years or so have come in for huge criticism on a regular basis n this forum, the two Mahony's, Coughlan, Socky, Ian Kenny and Shane O'Sullivan being good examples of guy who received very little support from so called "Waterford Supporters".

It is unfair to compare this Ballygunner side in terms of individuals with the Mount Sion side that included the three McGraths, Tony Browne, Eoin Kelly, Iggy, Brian Flannery, Anthony Kirwan and many others, they were just an exceptional bunch of individuals who happened to come along at the one time, but then you cannot compare what both "teams" achieved either.

A county team is generally made up of the "best individuals" pulled together and moulded into a team, we are fortunate at the moment, (and this is thanks to the inspiration given by the likes of Ken, Hartley Frampton, Cullinane etc.,) that we are being provided with large number of superb hurlers from small country clubs such as Ballysaggart, Clashmore, Foumilewater etc. Were these excellent players not being produced you would probably see far greater representation from the top clubs. Did anyone ever consider that many of the BG lads retire from intercounty early because of the fact that they have won so many tittles and have been hurling in Munster Club year on year - God knows how long it is since some of these lads have had a break of any length.

Going back to "diving and getting lads sent off" - like it or not it happens regularly and has been happening for years, guys going to ground to win frees or get lads in trouble, and anyone who says it is not happening countrywide, is codding themselves. Personally i don't like it, but equally i have no time for stupid actions of rash indiscipline that can cost a team dearly. You can dream on if you think all teams and counties are going to all of a sudden "stand up and be men" and takes cheap shots as part of the game - because they are not. The rules of the game are ridiculous because if you impose them as per the law, there will be no physicality left in the game, and if you use discretion,. you get inconsistency.

Waterford have suffered more than most with siily sending offs. Mullane was a massive loss for the AI semi-final in KK in 2002, DeBurca, for the 2017 AI Semi against Cork, Conor Gleeson for the 2017 AI Final and Aussie might as well have been suspended for that game also with where his head was in the lead up to the match, and all of them for silly stupid actions - and those lads got no sympathy from other counties. Discipline has become key in the modern game as lads are no longer willing to accept cheap blows

I don’t think players are been coached into doing it , it’s something that has developed in the game. Years ago you could get even and the ref would tell both that it’s even now and move on . John mcgrath to give the tap was surprising at the time anc the ballgunner player sealed the deal by reacting the way he did . Our own players might have done the same , but it was sickening to be on the receiving end

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

What rule did he break? More power to him and BG I say, games are there to be won at the end of the day it’s up to the referee to apply the rules as he sees them

No strangely enough! but I imagine them lads will not have any sour grapes over it. They know aswell as anyone it’s about winning it’s not a popularity contest.

Don't mind that crap. Get up and stop rolling around the ground..

• Advertisement

Dessie Hutchison said in his interview after the game ‘sometimes you just have to find a way to win’ when your backs are against the wall

Kilkenny hurlers and Dublin footballers in their periods of success didn’t make too many friends over the years either, but it’s the medal count that they are remembered for st the end of the day

Advertisement