Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Agree 100% with the last section of this. When Waterford got lads sent off there was no sympathy from other counties it was just a case of "Waterford are ill disciplined. You do the crime, you do the time" But when a Tipp lad gets sent off for indiscipline, then it's the Waterford player's fault for codding the referee.

Give me a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Alf Tupper

Don't remember any of Waterford's opponents running to officials to get a player sent off!

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

It wasn't possible for many of them to be running to officials as in the main they were rolling around on the ground, something that you have objected to vehemently.

Like it or not it happens across the board, I remember some years ago a Limerick player going to ground in a game and the Limerick Medical team came on to the pitch put, put a big dressing on his forehead and then put about 5 meters of bandage around his head - whoever it was played the rest of the game, but in an interview immediately after the match the bandage was gone from his head and there wasn't a sign of so much as a mark where supposedly he had been struck - and there wasn't a word said about it. I am not suggesting the Limerick player in question was trying to cod a referee or get a man sent off - but the medical staff on that occasion certainly played their part in trying to influence a referee - why? - because it happens all the time and across every county, so don't cod yourself that it doesn't because there is loads of evidence out there to prove it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Finger-wagging about morality in the game from the denizens of the county that gave us Hell's Kitchen. You love to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭tommylad1212

Didn't Joe canning go crying to the umpire ,when Conor gave him a tap, going in at ht with his arm in a sling, but nothing wrong with him for the second half

• Advertisement

Do you not remember John Gardner running to the ref looking to get Mullane (and Shanahan separately on another occasion) sent off. Not today or yesterday either. Don't kid yourself that other counties don't do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭seananigans

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40082030.html

Irony is he's a blowin from kildare, somehow made a great hurler. now there's parts of kildare where cousins of kilkenny people grow up in summers in kk playing hurling, but barry wasnt one of them

how exactly can you expect to be hit when you're not looking? talk about clutching at straws, he took a cheap shot he got caught,thats the end of it

easiest way not to be on the recieving end is not to lash out off the ball, there can only be negative outcomes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Anyone here about a certain fella who's "winning matches" been part of the Waterford back room team? Was at training this week apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Ballygunner complete the senior, U20 and minor treble beating Abbeyside 0-19 to 0-10.

Patrick Fitzgerald with 0-14, Charlie Treen with about half that.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,294 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Looking like the dominance of Club Hurling in Waterford will continue into the future for Ballygunner. What a prospect Patrick Fitzgerald is but amazingly still only in school

Let's hope Ballygunner can win the Munster final and get to Croke Park (which is far from a given as with so many challenges left). Bit of confusion around the potential AI semi finals with some saying it's Munster Champs vs Ballyhale and others saying its against Slaughtneil (Derry).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Who are you referring to….’Jimmy McGuinness’ ex Donegal manager..?

If that person aids us to get over the line then i don't care who it is

2022 Co-op Superstores Munster Hurling Cup

Semi-Final – Clare v Waterford – Friday January 14th at 7pm in Sixmilebridge

2022 McGrath Cup Football

Group 1

Waterford v Clare – Sunday January 2nd at 2pm in Fraher Field Dungarvan

Cork v Waterford – Tuesday January 11th at 7pm in Páirc Uí Rinn

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭blue note

I haven't been on this thread in ages but i can't believe the criticism ballygunner are getting. The noel mcgrath sending off was as clear a sending off as I can imagine. A shoulder to the chest off the ball - if that's not a red I don't know what it. I wonder are a lot of the people commenting on it people who haven't played the game. Being hit like that when you're not expecting it can certainly floor you. It might not look too bad on your couch at home, but you'd feel it if you were playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Relhcstirt

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭JD. 60

Jim McGuinness it is indeed according to Irish Independent online but they give shag all details in terms of whether it was a one off performance coaching session or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

• Advertisement

Jimmy's winning matches for the deise

Ah don't agree with that now. A yellow would have done him fine for the shoulder into the chest. I think most people would agree with that, even as biased as we are on this forum.

What justifiable reason does someone have to shoulder a lad into the chest off the ball? I can't think of any. It has no place in the game, it is dangerous and should not be tolerated. A red is a suitable punishment for it. If a Ballygunner lad had been sent off for the same thing I'd have no sympathy for him.

I can't believe you can't believe it. Bad faith arguments from the supporters of the Big Three whenever a Waterford team puts it up to one of them are par for the course. It's the flip side of the you-can't-bayt-tradition thing that is trotted out whenever a Waterford team comes up short against one of them.

Post edited by deiseach on

That's true actually. As much as people want to see the tradition of the big three broken, they only kind of do. They can't look past anyone but those three being minnows and no-one wants to be beaten by a lesser county.

I even remember when I was dating an Offaly girl that the people in the county used to really look down their noses at Waterford. They could accept the teams that were successful in the 90s beating them, they saw them as equals. But they didn't see Waterford as equals. Even outside of the big three, people only half want to see another county do well. I'll even admit myself that every year we didn't win and one of the big three did, a part of me was relieved that another county that wasn't us didn't make the break through. I'd be happier seeing Clare and Galway enjoy success if we got some too.

Now I will always shout for the underdog and do genuinely want them to win. But there's a part of me that feels if we're not making a breakthrough than I don't want anyone to.

I couldn't bring myself to cheer for Limerick against Kilkenny in 2007. Seeing them come up on the inside lane after the year we had made me very bitter. The sporting gods wreaked a terrible vengeance on me the following year, because that's the way these things work.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Well in my lifetime I've seen Limerick, Tipperary, Kilkenny, Galway, Clare, Cork, Offaly and Wexford win it. Really the only county other than us that have competed are Dublin and they've had enough football ones to make up for it. So I think I'm immune to feeling jealous of the success of other counties.

Yep

My god what id do to be standing in Croke Park waiting for the Waterford captain to head up the steps of the hogan to lift Liam. Bloody memories of 2017 flowing back now and still as frustrating as ever, 2008 and 2020 had a different feeling about them but still equally as frustrating. Sporting gods FFS just let us have it please amen

Like it or not, physicality is a part of the game. Yeah it's not allowed in the rules and yeah everyone hates off the ball stuff, but lads give each other dunts and belts all the time, coming on as a sub, after scoring etc, and if refs were to send everyone off for stuff like this games would finish with 9 men a side, and nobody wants to see that. It was a harsh red, a yellow would have sufficed. Leavy gave a belt off the ball just before that, should he have been sent off as well?

• Advertisement

I wouldn't regard hits off the ball as physicality. They're just dirty. I know they are sometimes common, but they shouldn't be. If refs started sending lads off for that sort of thing lads would soon stop doing it. And the game would be the better for it.

To be honest, I was watching the kid at the same time as the match and had it on mute so missed leavys belt. But I'll take your word for it had he did it, so absolutely should have walked. There's no excuse for a belt off the ball. I've never heard any justification for it other than it happens a lot and you can't send everyone off. The gaa should announce at the start of a season that they're going to send people off for off the ball hits and follow through on it. It would be wiped out over night.

Advertisement