Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

What can we do to realistically challenge either tipp or limerick in munster final now?

What we played yesterday,stupid wides,coughing up easy scores and they wont leave de burca isolated to clean up high balls.....we wont come with 10 points of either of them,based on yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,866 ✭✭✭deisedude

redlead wrote: »
    I was left scratching my head over Skys hype of Cork. I nearly spat out my beer when the commentator said that it was going to be an historic win for Waterford. That game was 50/50 all day long going into it between two teams that are way off being genuine contenders.

Very good second half from us in particular but I wouldn't be getting carried away about it. Cork look a very poor team and we still left a lot out there. The munster final could be a seriously tough outing.

The Gleeson incident was fairly harmless but people will make mountains out of molehills. He does need to cut that crap out all the same.

Ya, sky were over the top but Cork beat us by something like 14 points last season so I can see why Cork were favourites

The most encouraging thing was the fight and heart shown by the players yesterday. They outworked Cork all over the field.

Limerick or Tipp aren't going to be outfought like Cork were. You'd imagine it will be too much of a step-up in class but encouraging signs under Cahill so far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Of course I played and continue to play hurling. I've given those shots and taken them, some I deserved and some I didn't. It doesn't hurt as much as Harnedy made out, it's the end of the hurley and not a sword.

Then don't act like people who disagree with you didn't play hurling

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Then don't act like people who disagree with you didn't play hurling

We may have to agree to disagree on this one then son

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

What can we do to realistically challenge either tipp or limerick in munster final now?

What we played yesterday,stupid wides,coughing up easy scores and they wont leave de burca isolated to clean up high balls.....we wont come with 10 points of either of them,based on yesterday

The games have been a bit mad, 1-28 and still probably close to 20 wides. When you think about some of the scores that Lyons, McNulty, Moran and Aussie got first half they were miles out. Must be a plan from teams to shoot from distance if they have space, even though they are lower percentage shots. Would like to have seen Hutchison get more service in the first half though.

I'd say it's a sign of how the game is gone. You've to factor in rustiness and that wind yesterday as well. Today will be interesting.

Personally I think we could compete with Tipp, but not Limerick at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Disappointing to see discussion on yet another Aussie incident. It's beyond a joke now that he can't control himself a bit better and let his hurling do the talking. I'm sure he doesn't like the backlash as much as the rest of us but he can't seem to control the head.
    In saying that, Harnedy made a total meal of it (is no innocent boy himself) and I agree with previous posts that you would see a jab like that in every game. But the modern game has mirrored soccer and with all the camera angles now, players know that if you go down, you'll get the other lad in trouble. Aussie knows this so there's no excuse.

Patrick Horgan's head strike on McNulty was far worse though and SKY didn't seem to dwell on that. If the Sunday Game discuss Aussie, I hope they highlight what Horgan did. Fair is fair and the narrative seems to be that Aussie is a bad boy and Horgan is a role model. I'm not having a go at Horgan here either. He's a legend and I admire that he can mix it up and look after himself. Just pissed off that there's a negative element about win over Cork.

Great to see Dessie Hutchinson get on the ball and show his ability. He's the first decent traditional corner forward we've had since Mullane retired. When he get's on the ball, he has one thing on his mind and that's finding the best way to score. Not to first run and bounce off a man for no reason. I think that was drilled into the Derek academy and the newer lads like Dessie, Jack P, Callum etc seem to have more instinctive styles. De Burca was just insanely good yesterday. Not just his reading of the game, sweeping, fielding and bursts forward, but his use of the ball. Some of his passes were top notch. What a man. Callum Lyons, I believe will go on to be one of our all time greats. Seems to have a mix of ability, courage and a steady head. He'll be captain soon no doubt.

The games have been a bit mad, 1-28 and still probably close to 20 wides. When you think about some of the scores that Lyons, McNulty, Moran and Aussie got first half they were miles out. Must be a plan from teams to shoot from distance if they have space, even though they are lower percentage shots. Would like to have seen Hutchison get more service in the first half though.

I'd say it's a sign of how the game is gone. You've to factor in rustiness and that wind yesterday as well. Today will be interesting.

Personally I think we could compete with Tipp, but not Limerick at this stage.

The yellow sliotar is a mile too light......stephen bennet banging over 70-80 yard frees at his ease....when previously anything outside 60 was pushing it

Im all for high scoring,fast moving games,but long term hurling will lose alot of its grit that made it great and just end up a version of basketball with sticks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

The yellow sliotar is a mile too light......stephen bennet banging over 70-80 yard frees at his ease....when previously anything outside 60 was pushing it

Im all for high scoring,fast moving games,but long term hurling will lose alot of its grit that made it great and just end up a version of basketball with sticks

The yellow sliotar is the exact same weight as the white one.

I'd say the main reason that points are being scored from further out compared to previously is the increased strength of players due to gym work.

I also think that another part of why teams are shooting from further out is that teams have looked at the stats in terms of goal-scoring and the scoring return from dropping it short around the square and trying to score a goal just doesn't justitfy it when compared to the odds of getting a greater total score by shooting for points further out.

Boom__Boom wrote: »

I'd say the main reason that points are being scored from further out compared to previously is the increased strength of players due to gym work.

I also think that another part of why teams are shooting from further out is that teams have looked at the stats in terms of goal-scoring and the scoring return from dropping it short around the square and trying to score a goal just doesn't justitfy it when compared to the odds of getting a greater total score by shooting for points further out.

There is something different about it....wheter it shape/material etc

I was at league matches this spring and championship matches last year and seen few club games and outside 60-65 yards bennett could be hit and miss as accuracny dropped off due to loss of power in the strike (always was even at underage etc,i dont want to single out 1 player,so apoligises)...yesterday he was tapping em.over from 80 to 90 yards....something isnt adding up here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

There is something different about it....wheter it shape/material etc

I was at league matches this spring and championship matches last year and seen few club games and outside 60-65 yards bennett could be hit and miss as accuracny dropped off due to loss of power in the strike (always was even at underage etc,i dont want to single out 1 player,so apoligises)...yesterday he was tapping em.over from 80 to 90 yards....something isnt adding up here

This article below gives a lot of information.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40072343.html

I've read other stuff about the scoring/GPS chip being added to sliotar before anmd what they were doing to make sure it didn't have an impact on the sliotar and I really don't think it's the sliotar that's the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,271 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Real kick in the balls or kick in the head stuff, Limerick or Tipp

It's great to be in the final but boy it will be tough

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭upthedeise16

Yesterday was as pleasing as many of those memorable wins in the early 2000’s but just a pity we couldn’t be there. Back then, we had great forwards like Flynn, Mullane, Kelly but we also had work horses like Prendergast & Molumphy. If you look at Corks forward line, they have fantastic stick men and shooter when given space but they had no grafter to break ball and run directly at the Waterford defense. It cost them.

Cahill’s style, even from his Tipp underage days, seems to be to have hardworking forwards like Fagan, Dillon & Prendergast. They may not be easy on the eye and they will make mistakes in possession but their workrate is phenomenal and this means the ball getting into the opposition forwards isn’t as dangerous.
    Tadhg De Burca was cleaning up because the passes coming in were generally pressurised. I remember 2 years ago against Limerick & last year against Tipp watching our full back with pity, they hadn’t a chance with the quality of ball coming in. We could have had Ollie Canning, JJ Delaney & Michael Kavanagh in the full back and they still would have been cleaned out but yesterday was different, the forwards worked unbelievably hard to stop easy ball coming out. You could see that there were plenty of rucks & throw balls in the Cork half but none in the Waterford half as Waterford forwards worked like dogs to get the ball out of Corks possession and when it went to ground, they had support to fight for it. If they can all chip in with a few scores each day and win frees, we will continue to improve.

People say that the media focus too much on Gleeson but I’m afraid he brings it on himself. Gleeson’s strike was silly and even if Harnedy made a meal of it, rules are rules and he should have seen red and Horgan similarly. Gleeson needs to control his temper as if he had been sent off, Waterford would likely have been beaten. People praised his form in 16/17 but he still had these moments of madness then such as when he pulled the helmet of the Cork player and could have missed the final. We made excuses at the time that he was young but he doesn’t seem to have learned. He has been sent off a few times for Mount Sion as well and was lucky to get off the suspension this year. He needs to learn. I’m a massive fan of his and he’s as good a player we have on his day but he’s no good to us on the sideline having been sent off or being dropped for his ill discipline. Hopefully we won’t have to comment on his discipline again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Gardner wrote: »
    What Horgan done was worse as it was to the face. Not a ****ing whisper out of ya about that.

What did Horgan do yesterday....?

Also was amazed earlier in the year or tail end of last season at how the media and pundits were all praise of cork co board option to bring back Kingston and they were on the up this season etc etc.....there was nothing new or inspiring about them yesterday.......couple of new names but without Horgan and to a lesser extent harnedy they would have been totally embarrassed.......

Sky and bookies as bad.......cork hot favorites.......big upset when they lost. Such boll0cks......

Gleeson needs to get a grip/sense/needs a taking to but don’t think it’s possible or would have any impact.......there is nearly always something

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Did Aaron Gillane strike back with the hurley there after his goal?

Only if Ronan Maher had went down crying :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Punt Road

Not sure he did but Pretty sure he ended up with Ronan Mahers Hurley in his hand as opposed to his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

Asdfgh2020 wrote: »
    What did Horgan do yesterday....?

Off the ball helmet strike

• Registered Users Posts: 38,271 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Limerick in Thurles it is then

Massive challenge but nothing too lose

Can't wait

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

well we will be playing the best team in the country in the Munster final so will get a good indication of where we are at. limerick will be massive favourites and rightly so, did a number on the all Ireland champions today.

• Advertisement

Looking forward its going to be a huge challenge.
    Limerick are strongest where we are weakest.

In my book they are

Physically stronger
    Better tacklers - nearly every time tipp brought it into contact limerick would turn it over.
    Best side at winning dirty ball
    More accurate and less wasteful
    Better decision makers

I would have limerick 1/4 at least.
    Waterford would need to play to their max potential to even have a fighters chance.
    But no lose game for waterford, should give an indicator of where we are

carq wrote: »
    Looking forward its going to be a huge challenge.
    Limerick are strongest where we are weakest.

In my book they are

Physically stronger
    Better tacklers - nearly every time tipp brought it into contact limerick would turn it over.
    Best side at winning dirty ball
    More accurate and less wasteful
    Better decision makers

I would have limerick 1/4 at least.
    Waterford would need to play to their max potential to even have a fighters chance.
    But no lose game for waterford, should give an indicator of where we are

Hardly worth even showing up.....it’s a bit like facing that Clare team of the late 90’s......Lohan/Daly/Baker/Mcmahon etc plus manager fantastic on the side line.......could be embarrassing alright, will just about be able to keep it Pucked out to them.... :)

Ah in fairness, Limerick will be hot favourites and rightly so! It's great to be getting a chance to play them in a Munster final though and if we get it right on the day, sure who knows! We all need a bit of luck and if it's the same ref as today, we'll batter them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭rubbledoubledo

Go away out of it. Hardly worth showing up. We know what ye are up to alright, cute feckers. Ye think now with that talk it’s plain sailing for us. It’s on the day, if any team is going to beat us hope it’s Waterford

Go away out of it. Hardly worth showing up. We know what ye are up to alright, cute feckers. Ye think now with that talk it’s plain sailing for us. It’s on the day, if any team is going to beat us hope it’s Waterford

Of course it will have to be waterford to beat ye, you have knocked out everyone else!

In fairness this isnt some fake ambush talk, i just think you have our number in every department.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Limerick in Thurles it is then

Massive challenge but nothing too lose

Can't wait

Be better if it was Cork..the surface is better in this weather

• Registered Users Posts: 25,635 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Punt Road wrote: »
    Not sure he did but Pretty sure he ended up with Ronan Mahers Hurley in his hand as opposed to his own.

Ya he did he kicked it because the hurley he was holding was Mahers one being held backwards. Would have been funny to score it with Mahers hurley

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Boom__Boom wrote: »

Go way out of that.... so Players are pucking the ball longer now because they have more muscle on their arms? I’ve read it all now

Go way out of that.... so Players are pucking the ball longer now because they have more muscle on their arms? I’ve read it all now

Why would the sliotars be lighter due to a colour change.....? Are the gaa secretly promoting the massive point tallies we are now seeing every game........??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Asdfgh2020 wrote: »
    Why would the sliotars be lighter due to a colour change.....? Are the gaa secretly promoting the massive point tallies we are now seeing every game........??

Apparently the yellow ones are all at the minimum level of 110grams, really they should be brought up to the max of 120g. Then after this championship they nedd to go to about 140 and the mass/size of the ball to increase by 33%. Its becoming tennis 🎾

Advertisement