Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Apparently the yellow ones are all at the minimum level of 110grams, really they should be brought up to the max of 120g. Then after this championship they nedd to go to about 140 and the mass/size of the ball to increase by 33%. Its becoming tennis 🎾

So go back a few decades and what weights were the sliotars.....is 10grams which is a couple of spoons of sugar going to make a big difference...??

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭raindodger

neutral here thought aussies action was in response to
    nasty atempted chop on his hands
    but still silly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Is this Hutchinson's first year at county? How come he hasn't been there before?

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Asdfgh2020 wrote: »
    So go back a few decades and what weights were the sliotars.....is 10grams which is a couple of spoons of sugar going to make a big difference...??

I think the size of the bas of the hurleys is a bigger reason than the weight of the ball (but this has an impact also) , massive sweet spot to strike the ball with

I went to buy a new hurley recently (star hurleys kilkenny - lovely hurley by the way) and the bas is massive on them compared to what was there even 15-20 years ago. The odd time you would see someone bringing an old hurley to training from the 1990s and you might as well be looking at a hurley from the 1920s or something, the shape is completely different.

Not to mention the size of the bas on the goalkeepers hurleys now, they are just ridiculous at this stage. But sure if nobody is going to enforce a rule on this... It will only go one way.

If the GAA was to enforce a max hurley bas size, the whole issue would not be spoken about as much.

Is this Hutchinson's first year at county? How come he hasn't been there before?

Played soccer with brighton in the championship in england

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

https://twitter.com/OfficialBHAFC/status/860140300848812032

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Deskjockey wrote: »
    I think the size of the bas of the hurleys is a bigger reason than the weight of the ball (but this has an impact also) , massive sweet spot to strike the ball with

I went to buy a new hurley recently (star hurleys kilkenny - lovely hurley by the way) and the bas is massive on them compared to what was there even 15-20 years ago. The odd time you would see someone bringing an old hurley to training from the 1990s and you might as well be looking at a hurley from the 1920s or something, the shape is completely different.

Not to mention the size of the bas on the goalkeepers hurleys now, they are just ridiculous at this stage. But sure if nobody is going to enforce a rule on this... It will only go one way.

If the GAA was to enforce a max hurley bas size, the whole issue would not be spoken about as much.

There is a max bas size ...unenforced unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭big_drive

BloodyBill wrote: »
    There is a max bas size ...unenforced unfortunately
    Outfield hurleys would be well inside it so wouldn't have any impact there. Few goalkeepers ones would probably be over it

Theres probably a point too when a hurley becomes too big to use outfield. Like there is nothing stopping an outfielder using a goalkeepers hurley but it would probably slow down skrike a fraction and be clumsy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Dessie Hutchison was very good I though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Gardner

Go way out of that.... so Players are pucking the ball longer now because they have more muscle on their arms? I’ve read it all now

Mastermcgrath he is 100% spot on. players are pucking the ball longer because of the increased strength and conditioning. that's not a myth it's fact

Furthermore, has anyone had one of the yellow balls in their hand yet? i have and there is **** all difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Gardner wrote: »
    Mastermcgrath he is 100% spot on. players are pucking the ball longer because of the increased strength and conditioning. that's not a myth it's fact

Furthermore, has anyone had one of the yellow balls in their hand yet? i have and there is **** all difference.

Look at golf and Jon Rahm, it makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Deise_abu

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Look at golf and Jon Rahm, it makes sense.

Yeah serious muscles on his wrists 🙄🙄

Size has nothing to do with distance in hurling

Distance is 100% the sliothar

At underage, an average u15 can point a 65 and in some cases carry the net in his first year with a size 5, certainly wasnt the case 20 yrs ago

• Registered Users Posts: 25,636 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Deise_abu wrote: »
    Yeah serious muscles on his wrists 🙄🙄

Size has nothing to do with distance in hurling

Distance is 100% the sliothar

At underage, an average u15 can point a 65 and in some cases carry the net in his first year with a size 5, certainly wasnt the case 20 yrs ago

Really. I don't know much about golf but looking at photos there is nothing exceptionally fit about him. Certainly does not seem to have the muscles of some of the current Limerick team

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Force (N) = mass (kg) × acceleration (m/s²).

Any update on the latest Aussie tribunal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Great article here from RTE on this years Liam McCarthy hurling contenders......

It's nice to see after a convincing win how we fair against the other teams...:o

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2020/1102/1175474-six-talking-points-as-hurling-campaign-hits-full-swing/

After reading that the excitement can only be building even more the season has now started :eek::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 38,271 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Liam Cahill has great sideline presence, very animated

PTH2009 wrote: »

A Tipp version of Davey fitz.....!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,636 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

PTH2009 wrote: »

I think it makes him look a bit of an ejit

A Tipp version of Davey fitz.....!!!

Except he understands the game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Except he understands the game and isnt a clown

No need for that

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ovalu

Except he understands the game and isnt a clown

All Ireland winner as player and manager

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

is it safe to assume that Gleeson won't be in danger of missing the Munster final now? I haven't seen any mention so far of the powers that be taking a look at it

j
    Deisegodeo wrote: »
    is it safe to assume that Gleeson won't be in danger of missing the Munster final now? I haven't seen any mention so far of the powers that be taking a look at it

He seems to have a habit of getting lucky in these situations.......apparently there was a ‘Horgan incident’ also where his ‘hurl’ connected with someone’s head......also the limerick midfielder (No. 9) at the throw in at the start of the second half was fairly reckless and gave his Tipp counterpart a nice slap of ‘timber’.....will this be investigated.......then there was the incident in the Dublin kk Match, Cavan v Monaghan, Mayo v Leitrim etc etc.....!!

Deisegodeo wrote: »

I'm hoping no news is good news on this one. Unless it's a criminal offence, I don't agree with post game refereeing just because sky made a big deal about it. We all agree it was stupid and repetitive but he did get away with it on the day so that should be it. If we go down that road then we need cameras all over the field to make sure everyone is treated by the same rules and not just by the TV analysis!

I'm hoping no news is good news on this one. Unless it's a criminal offence, I don't agree with post game refereeing just because sky made a big deal about it. We all agree it was stupid and repetitive but he did get away with it on the day so that should be it. If we go down that road then we need cameras all over the field to make sure everyone is treated by the same rules and not just by the TV analysis!

He might find himself out of the starting line up either way

He might find himself out of the starting line up either way

I doubt he'll get dropped for a Munster final if he's available and obviously playing well. That's just madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

He seems to have a habit of getting lucky in these situations.......apparently there was a ‘Horgan incident’ also where his ‘hurl’ connected with someone’s head......also the limerick midfielder (No. 9) at the throw in at the start of the second half was fairly reckless and gave his Tipp counterpart a nice slap of ‘timber’.....will this be investigated.......then there was the incident in the Dublin kk Match, Cavan v Monaghan, Mayo v Leitrim etc etc.....!!

William O Donoghue got booked for a wild pull. Could on a bad day have been red. Austin didn't get caught on tbe day. I hope he avoids hassle but he'd only have himself to blame...again. He's not the brightest guy

I doubt he'll get dropped for a Munster final if he's available and obviously playing well. That's just madness.

It depends what view Cahill takes on it. There was talks that Gleeson was already on last chance saloon earlier in the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭tommylad1212

The limerick player got booked!

Advertisement