Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Just to add Mark Fitzgerald is back in non contact training with the under 20 team so I wouldn't rule him out of the championship yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭whiteandblue

I don't agree with your idea of throwing in all these lads but I don't think you are really suggesting it, perhaps just showing the options available.

I don't think you ever do fringe or panel players justice by throwing them all in together and expecting a performance or a result. It often just adds to the mantra that they aren't good enough to start and this is why they are subs. For example. if you put Billy Nolan in goal behind a whole new, inexperienced backline & hitting puckouts on a makeshift half-forward line and he concedes a hatful of goals and the win percentage on puckouts is poor is that really fair to judge him on that? It is much fairer and a more realistic test when a few of these lads are thrown in among a full team with experience around them. I think Cahill has done this well in the league to date making 4-7 changes for each game but rotating experienced players and so-called fringe players. The fringe players showing up in these matches and taking their opportunities is a much better gauge of if they would be able to come in in championship if needed.

I think this weekend should see a similar tactic of making a few changes to have a look at the options available. I would give Nolan another game and look at Iarlaith Daly full-back again as he is the probably most likely back-up to Prunty at the minute. At the back, Ian Kenny deserves a game as I think Conor Gleeson has played every game and McNulty hasn't seen as much gametime. It would be great if Lyons and Barron were back as well to get gametime into them but that is uncertain. Upfront, Pauric Mahony (in the role Paddy Curran is playing) & Dessie could do with games as well as they haven't really been involved other than Mahony getting a few minutes the last day.

Although a win isn't absolutely vital, momentum going into league knockouts and championship cannot be overlooked and any win over Kilkenny should be a goal for this team.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

"GIveitfong" clearly references his post as Fantasy, so it is by no means a suggestion. The last time we tried something like that was in Galway back in 2017 and we learned nothing from it other than our manager at the time thought his plan had backfired and we might actually win the game !!!

Back to Sunday, it is important to try and win the game while trying things out. Personally I would like to see a side along the lines of the following: (assuming Lyons, and Barron still injured)

Billy Nolan

Conor Gleeson, Iarlath Daly, Ian Kenny

Jack Fagan, Tadgh DeBurca, Seamus Keating

Peter Hogan, Shane Bennett

Jack Prender, Pauric Mahony, Kieran Bennett

Dessie Hutchinson, Kevin Mahony, Colin Dunford

Obviously this is just a quick selection and would be open to alternative suggestions (such as swapping Kieran Bennett and Peter Hogan) but would just like to try and keep some shape but mixing it up between giving guys a break, giving guys badly needed game time, and giving lads a chance to put up their hands.

I think over the league games todate, the likes of Patrick Curran, Neil Montgomery, Micheal Kiely, Catharc Daly, and Darrgh Lyons have shown us what they are capable of. Likewise i think it is important to continue Jack Fagan' s learning from new positions and nobody like Kilkenny to give you a tough experience. Also it is time to give Shane Bennett the chance to make a real statement of intent for the championship.

I likewise don't think that side would be showing any disrespect to Kilkenny, and with the bench we would have , there are loads of real impact subs if required. I know our half and full forward lines would be missing perceived ball winners, but this is compensated to some degree by serious pace and craft, and Nolan Park is a fine big pitch to try and stretch an opposition defence.

Eitherway I am looking forward to seeing what Cahill's selection

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭JD. 60

Waterford / Kilkenny live on TG4 Beo.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,305 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Could be some battle Sunday if all the Ballygunner and Ballyhale contingent are starting

• Advertisement

For the day that's in it, amazing moment but my god if it was today (paddys day) it would of been even more special

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭seananigans

firstly would have or would've never would of, secondly how can you make winning an AI "more special" makes no sense , if you need ot make winning an AI more special you don't deserve to win one

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Dammo

It’s ‘to’ not ‘ot’ 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Few lads here on the batter for Paddy’s day I reckon… put the phones down boys

any team for Sunday? Very interested to see whose back

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Relhcstirt

Strong looking team!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Nolan

Kenny

I Daly

McNulty

Fagan

De burca

Dalton

C Daly

D Lyons

Montgomery

A gleeson

P mahony

Hutchinson

M Kiely (abbeyside)

Dunford

Still no Jamie Barron and Callum Lyons

Missing Conor Gleeson, Conor Prunty, Calum Lyons, Jamie Barron, Stephen Bennett, Paddy Curran, Jack Prendergast and Peter Hogan and yet it is a decent side. Shaun O Brien is on the bench but that jersey is still up for grabs.

Curran didn't start the all Ireland semi if I'm correct but Shane Bennett did and he's also on the bench.

To get a result without nine of the team that got to a semi final last year would be a huge achievement. Though I'm doing this from memory and may be entirely wrong.

Edit- Kieran Bennett also started that game so it looks like only 5 of the semi final team are starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Pudz2180

Trying to think of lads not named in the 26 tomorrow but would have a chance of starting in 4 weeks. Conor gleeson, prunty, Callum Lyons, Jamie Barron, Peter hogan, jack pender, Patrick Curran, Stephen Bennett. May have missed someone! Is it just me or is anyone else getting a little worried that Callum and Jamie have yet to play considering championship starts in 4 weeks. I know we have a strong squad but The two boys would be definite starters if fit, this along with prunty injury is something we could do without

Good to read a balanced and informed media piece about us.

Honestly is there an off button on Derek McGrath? How he keeps getting the platform to spout his jibberish is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Sean Moran is the author of the above…didn’t read any quotes from Derek McGrath there….!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 914Deise

Good luck to the Waterford panel tomorrow.

Two best teams in the group, looking forward to it.

Up the Deise

• Advertisement

Mixed half to say the least

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭JD. 60

Full forward line starved of possession. Pairic not really involved in open play. Both sides have coughed up some simple scores.

Waterford could have scored 2 goals and been out sight but Kilkenny have finished the half stronger.

Wexford vs Waterford

Cork vs Kilkenny

Not a races today and won't get away with it next weekend and in the Championship

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭decies

Working so didn’t see anything . One thing please try not to over react !!

I'm guessing Nowlan Park or Thurles next weekend. Wexford going fairly well atm and will be a great challenge

I'd have assumed they would have a double header in Thurles but there seems to be talk of playing Wexford in Kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Junior Hurler

Waterford and Wexford should toss for home advantage in the semi. Be a better atmosphere and more attendees that way and neither side would fear an away match. No point in dragging folk to Nowlan Pk or Semple Stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 OverTheBarPOints

Just watch the game back the two goals were very soft, I Fear not having SOKY in between the sticks anymore could be the difference between an Ireland and not. Those sort of shots rarely passed him.I hope this won’t be the case for Championship , anyway it’s his decision and we need to respect that.

It just feels like we are always missing a vital piece , from one Decade to another.

im still confident for the Championship ahead, that our scoring will cancel out anything at the opposite end .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭decies

Semple stadium is hardly a drag great stadium great atmosphere .

Advertisement