Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Ian OB

The term "mercurial" was surely invented for Aistin Gleeson

• Registered Users Posts: 38,306 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Decent stuff, a finals a final, one of those things that it's Cork

Aussie will be a huge loss for the final but it will give some others one more chance

Thurles next Sunday I imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Rosita

Yeah, it's the Wexford guy's fault. Nothing to do with the player who struck. That's how hurling works.

Pure clown,hes around long enough to be not doing that

Lot of mistakes and poor passes a better team would punish em for.....some slack enough defending at times (though tbf,they did tighten up in 2nd half)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I agree but he did flick the hurl. It's a stupid stupid red and he can't be trusted when the red mist descends. At least wait for the next ball and get him then properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Rustyman101

Thanks for the informative post, I didn't realise that !

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Rustyman101

100% agreed stupid thing to do but as I said it was made a meal of, little to no force involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Pure stupid from Glesson, why do that when the match is over? Cahill didn't look happy to put it mildly. Someone needs to have a good chat with him to cut out the nonsense, he might be brilliant but he's a liability if he doesn't cop himself on.

Wexford started poor and just got worse, forwards walked through their backs and could have had another 4 or 5 goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭decies

Great win for Waterford . Onwards and upwards . Looking forward to Semple .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭seananigans

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

As Roy Keane said if your forcing a decision from a referee you've no complaints, both reds were silly, needless and avoidable.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭JD. 60

Should be a real good contest next Saturday. While Waterford have been impressive this year so too have Cork ; forget their defeat against Wexford (if it had been a horse race they would have been in front of the stewards under the ‘non triers’ rule ; similar to Waterford against Kilkenny).

Waterford & Cork seem to be on a mission this year. Cork finished strongly on Saturday and that match was better preparation than beating a woeful Wexford.

No complaints with the sending off ; sometimes a player can be unlucky to be sent off ; for example, a mistimed tackle but this was senseless to say the least.

Anthony Dalys podcast will be both fun and a torture this week esp with Lannders on it

A bit of talk this week will be 'shadow boxing by Cork and Waterford esp meeting in the Championship' etc. Its a final and in no way will Liam Cahill send out a team that won't give 100% in a final

Looks like there may be an appeal to Aussies red card

Post edited by PTH2009 on

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭paddy13

I doubt it, doesn't seem like Cahill's way of doing things. Where did you hear that from? I doubt he'll succeed as videos the intention was there. Pure stupid by Gleeson but hopefully that's his lesson learnt for this year at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Agree I wouldn’t bother appealing, let him sit and watch the final and feel the hurt. He’s 27, not 17. He’s got to see the light for himself.

in a great place going into the championship win lose or draw in the league final with 5/6 big names to come back in. Nice cameo from Shane Bennett too saying to Liam Cahill, ‘don’t forget about me’

Little scary to think nowadays a 27 year old intercounty hurling nowadays are possibly near of the end of the careers (commitments etc)

Yeah let's hope we can finally do it esp with the age of some our players (the minor All Ireland win in 2013 only feels like yesterday). As good as underage success is at the end of the day not winning the big one (senior) glosses over it a little bit

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Denny61

As a tipp supporter..it looks like a two horse race for Liam...cork..waterford..they both athletic..and skill fullback and a joy to watch .be nice to see it going to either county .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭decies

Be way nicer if Waterford one Cork are not short a few !! Nobody is going to give us one hopefully they fight like dogs ( without getting sent off ) to finally get over the line .

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭JD. 60

I presume (especially in Aussies absence) that Callum Lyons will start the next day ; maybe @ number 7 .... with C. Daly at midfield and Curran in the forwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

I have been a critic of Aussies temperament for many years, but while he was silly, I felt he was hard done yesterday. Over the years we have been arguing over whether they were red cards or not and the old "he struck with the hurley so it is a red card" gets trotted out. The problem i have with that, is that in most matches lads regularly strike players on the shoulder, elbow, wrist or hand deliberately and more often than not get away with a free or at worst a yellow, particularly if the player struck manages to go on and score.

Once again there was complete inconsistency yesterday , Shane Bennett took a far heavier belt into the guts from the butt of the Hurley from a Wexford wing back right in front of us yesterday and the linesman who was standing not two meters away obviously saw nothing. Me thinks Aussie pays a heavy price for past offences.

Yesterday at worst he poked Donohoe, who reacted making a meal of it (as players tend to do nowadays), and then was clearly embarrassed when Gleason got a straight red. If that is going to be deemed a straight red, there are most likely going to be four players sent off before the ball is thrown in in each game.

The rule striking with the Hurley needs to be reviewed. If that kind of incident happened in a rugby match, the referee would have went through a rigorous process to ensure that the punishment fit the crime. i.e. was it done with force, was there extenuating circumstances, was there an attempt to injury or was there a risk of injury to the player - if this process were followed yesterday, Aussie would have received a yellow card for stupidity !!! but that is all. This process might also reduce the controversy, and it might stop a lot of the play-acting that has crept into the game from all counties..

On the game itself, hard to know what to make of it, Wexford were totally flat, and the early goals put them so on edge that they went into their shell. Waterford's movement up front was really good, but defence wise we got away with quite a bit of sloppy play particularly in the our Half-back line. there is still much room for improvement but considering we started without Prunty, Stephen Bennett, Jamie Barron and Peter Hogan as part of the panel, our panel is starting to look very strong indeed. However a few injuries can quickly eat into that an pity to see Dunford pull up with what looked like a Hamstring yesterday.

Great to see Calum Lyons back on the field and for Shane Bennett to score a fine goal that will hopefully give his confidence a boost. Great also to see Patrick Current show continued form - lads you tell me he was never going to be strong enough to win his own ball,, well have a look at the strength and awareness he showed yesterday in the build up to our fourth goal.

It is only the League and Wexford had an off day, but strangely we seem to put in really big performances every second game - so not getting carried away by any means, but looking forward with real optimism to the championship - as I said Munster is a minefield with each game going to be like a final, so for whichever three teams come through Munster, it is going to be a fair achievement, and i genuinely believe that all five of them have a very realistic chance of coming out. Limerick are still to my mind ahead of the chasing pack, but I think the pack is closing, in six weeks time we will have a far better of how much they have managed to close the gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Great performance yesterday. What about Patrick Curran's work rate? He's like a new man, the last two years.

Massive boost if Aussie gets off

I wonder was he actually going to hit the butt of the hurley off the bosh and had no intention of hitting the player

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭seananigans

sincerely doubt that, simon donohoe took a dive and felt bad about it so talked to the ref, if he turns up for the appeal and says he slipped might get him off other than that he can learna lesson from this

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Interesting views on the Gleeson incident today, have to say I felt it was deserving of a red card. Just can't jab a Hurley into an opponent like that, whether with force or not . Absolutely crazy thing to do with us so far ahead. Massive loss for the final too, I would be surprised if red card is over turned.

Super performance overall, some really pleasing aspects too, lots of goals scored, none conceded, some excellent individual performances especially Aussie, dessie, Conor Gleeson, Fagan. iarlath and cathrach Daly both very good too.

Great to see Calum Lyons back and that goal for Shane Bennett could be crucial for him to get back to level he is capable of.

I'd say the Ballygunner contingent weren't too impressed with the arranging of the final for next Saturday night and clashing with their victory dinner night!!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

A few cans in the chopper on the way down and be sorted !

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Just watched it back tonight. Darragh Lyons did very well as well as the others named above. Will be hard to pick a team for the championship now.

Stupid from Aussie to flick back like that at that stage of the game (18 points up!) but feel a yellow would have done him grand, think a red was harsh. Maybe he'll learn from it, maybe he won't.

I think we should appeal it, if a player from another team can play a final after a clear headbutt and gets clear on appeal, then why shouldn't we appeal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Only got to watch the game last night myself, went the full day not knowing the result as yet again GAAGo was a joke taking an age to make the game available to watch back. Obviously delighted to have got such a comprehensive win as well as raising 5 green flags. Not often we manage that nor beating another strong side by double digit scores. I wrote here before the game that one key thing I would like to have seen was for us to be more clinical in those goal scoring chances and we sure delivered on that front (could have had 2 or 3 more if Fanning hadn't managed to pull off some top saves from Dessie).

Stupid from Aussie, the game was well over as a contest and gave the ref no choice but to brandish a red, it was brainless stuff. I reckon he was probably mad to get his hat-trick and being in at full forward put him in a good position to achieve something he hasn't done at senior level (not that I'm aware). I recall the incident happened after a long range point attempt from out the field went wide and he looked visibly frustrated with that, maybe believing the ball should have been played into him and that he'd get the better of O'Hanlon. Who knows though.

In a way it was a strange game, it felt like once we got that third goal it became a bit of a formality. Even though we played generally well, I still think there's room for improvement. Still saw a few examples of lads missing a pick up first time, balls being dropped and we clocked up a number of wides that I suspect was well into the double digits. Curran missed his first free and I remember Aussie putting two long range frees wide from identical positions. Think the latter and Dessie also put a few wide from play from scorable positions. The shooting can definitely be tidied up and against a more efficiently scoring team (Wexford were fairly dire yesterday) we'd be punished. To be fair to Curran (and Aussie) their frees apart from those misses were good. Darragh Lyons did well but hit two long range efforts wide himself within a few minutes of each other in the first half. Not long after that overhit a low diagonal ball into the corner for Dunford that went over the endline and a minute later was dispossessed in the middle of the field which led directly to a Wex point. Just little things like this that we can improve upon as mentioned above, likely won't get away with it against the likes of Limerick.

Good game from the two Jacks and pretty much all of the back line, fairly solid throughout. Any time a Wex player threatened the goal, De Burca was on hand to bottle them up. O'Brien in goal didn't have much to do which is never a bad complaint. Dunford was doing well when he pulled up with, what looked like, a hamstring injury. Hopefully it's not too bad and he's back for championship. Great to get Calum Lyons back again, made a wonderful catch which unfortunately wasn't rewarded with a great point from the sideline as it drifted just wide.

On then to next Saturday and a league final. We don't find ourselves in this position all that often so well worth going all out for it, especially given we haven't won any silverware in seven years (2015 league). Would imagine Stephen Bennett to slot in for Dunford and maybe C. Lyons in for Aussie (assuming the suspension holds up). Any sign or word from Jamie Barron?

Advertisement