Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭decies

Regarding Walsh park while most will say great to have home advantage, but having two of the largest hurling bases in the country tipp and cork comes to town just emphasises to me huge mistakes made with in the past regarding new home venue . Walsh Park is totally inadequate to satisfy the ticket demand for Munster championship games that affects both the home and away fans . Am not a fan of this round Robin system anyways , if the results we get in Munster are what we hope for maybe fair enough but I still get a bad taste in my mouth . I look forward to my trip to Thurles sat night our spiritual home in Munster if not our real home!!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭DeHorse88

Any word on a Waterford Minor/U20 panel?

How many U20s are on the Senior panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

• Registered Users Posts: 38,306 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

From a Waterford point of view, yeah i **** hate the format and as we know all too well it has been a disaster for us. 2018 was full of bad luck with injuries and other events (if we had got over the line that day against Tipp then it would of given a huge boost going into our last 2 games that year) and 2019 was a freak of a championship campaign, the games against Tipp and Limerick that year were some farces and one of the worst days out supporting Waterford.

As of now were the only 'big hurling county team' to not advance from the group stages and please to every god possible that will change this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

The round Robin is the best thing to happen hurling in a long time. Teams get 4 matches to prove their worth. There's no fluking your way out of Munster. Leinster is obviously easier but it's tough enough aswell. I dont understand why some people dislike it..

It's even good for tourism. Iv stayed a full weekend in Cork and Waterford. Id have never done that before.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

i agree with you for once, 2018 and 2019 the round robin series was an unmitigated disaster for us and I hated the new format as I felt we were at a disadvantage because we didn’t have the panel other counties had,

We know Derek McGrath ringfenced 19/20 players he wanted to use and that backfired when we got all those injuries in 2018 and in fairness poor Pairic Fanning was thrown under the bus in 19 when certain players downed tools

that’s changed this time though Liam Cahill has addressed it and put an emphasis on having a strong panel and now we’re ready to compete. .

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

There was never any fluking your way out of Munster in the old format. It has always been a bearpit, with massive pressure for each and every match. Perform and maybe you'll get through. Don't and you're out on your ass. I liked the sh*t or bust element to it.

I liked the back door to give another chance but to win the Munster final through the front door.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

I dislike the idea of a team going out of the championship without having played any knockout games. The KK club championship has a system with 2 league divisions but even those finishing bottom end up playing knock out championship matches albeit with a much tougher route to the county final and the prospect of relegation is there if they lose the first knockout game after finishing low in the division

Prunty and Stephen Bennett both starting as does Callum lyons

O Brien

C gleeson

Prunty

McNulty

Fagan

De burca

C Daly

D Lyons

C Lyons

Montgomery

Prendergast

Curran

Hutchinson

Stephen Bennett

Kiely

• Advertisement

Hurler on the ditch FOS, not the first time either

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭JD. 60

Strong team announced ; feeling more confident all of a sudden (though Aussie's absence is like giving Cork a 3-4 point head start !).

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Moggy13

No Iarlaith Daly?

Went off early last day too. I assumed it was to protect him for final cause prunty wouldn't be playing. Maybe he got a knock tho

Delighted with that team

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Moggy13

I assumed the same. Thats a pity because he surely would have filled the other half back berth. Really impressed with him since he has come into senior set up, very classy hurler.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭thesultan

Whats up with iarlaith Daly and Ian Kenny?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Pudz2180

I didn’t expect us to name as strong a team as that. Great to have Conor, Callum and Stephen back in. Hopefully everything goes okay for them and there is no issues with whatever injuries they have had. Hopefully iarlaith daly isn’t anything serious and just precautionary. I would definitely have him in my championship 15. What’s the story with Ian kenny and Peter hogan? Think the only time either we’re named in the match day 26 was when kenny was named to start against Kilkenny (I think) but didn’t play any part that day.

interesting to see the cork team, think they had injury doubts over daire o’ Leary (the new young fullback) and Tim o Mahoney. Also interesting to see if Horgan and Kingston start. Both were taken off last Saturday night and one would imagine would have a point to prove if they do start tomorrow night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭seananigans

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Montys return

Are tickets for tomorrow general admission?

Yes just pick a stand . Am hoping a freezing night in Thurles will be worth it for all concerned . Big psychological boast if we beat a all ireland contender in a national final . We’ve come this far let’s finish it off now get a league title celebrate for 24 hours and move on to the main target where we have as good a chance as any of the main contenders to deliver that long awaited holy grail back over the bridge .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭skaface

Looking forward to the game later, hopefully a big Waterford crowd will travel, this team deserves it.. Time for this team to get some silverware, starting tonight hopefully.. Would be a massive boost heading into the C /Ship.. Finals are there to be won.. lets drive it on now.. Best of luck to Liam and all the lads ..bring it home lads. Up the Deise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Best of Luck Waterford from Limerick. I will never go for one of the big 3 over someone else. Absolutely love Waterfords style and the weekend me and the other half spent down there for the last round Robin was fantastic. I will be back..stayed at the Granville hotel, went to the museums and got a real feel for Waterford. Very different people than Limerick folk.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

Best of luck to the team today

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Big night ahead - best of luck to lads - would be great to get this one over the line

Taken at 5.15 fashionably early the cork woman in front of me is in wrong stand 🤪

Would prefer to be in that stand instead of the An Rinne

• Advertisement

Nice new shining scoreboard in semple

Crowd small enough so far

Advertisement