Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

He should play, and I reckon h

You’ve way too much time on your hands pal

Post edited by Mastermcgrath on

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭JD. 60

Ticket sorted for Sunday.

Colm Bonnar is coming out fighting (and why not) ... talking about the need to score goals and 'going for the jugular' !

I would be quite concerned,tipp were not that bad,in 1st 20 mins in particular in the league and looked at times ready to cut open

I taught,the goal knocked the stuffing outta em.that day a bit and a certain level of inexperience lead to em crumbling and losing shape/workrate and was gone from em by time they settled back....its not a bad team,with plenty underage all ireland winners in it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,596 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Tipp man here. Any other given year, I'd have feared for Waterford by way of burning out of the players after the league and the small gap in between that and Munster. Unfortunately for the rest of the country, your squad depth is something that dreams are made of. Majority of the panel have big game experience and have a serious system over them.

Can't see anything significant for Tipp out of the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Pudz2180

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

The two Fitzgeralds are brothers? Michael's nephews?

Centre back and full forward are first cousins.

I'm getting old when I know 2 off them from playing club with their fathers and 3 more from playing against their fathers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 914Deise

So I guess Carthach Daly starts against Tipp on Sunday. No great surprise.

Is Charlie Treen from Abbyside injured? Thought he would be at the very least on the under 20 panel if not starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Reuben Halloran must not have recovered from injury either.

Unusual to have both goalkeepers from the same club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭seananigans

Cousins I believe, Pat fitzgerald is the grandson of Pat O'Sullivan, he's a cousin to the Mahony's and a nephew to Shane/Darragh etc. was given a minor all star last year and i've heard it rumoured he would have been selected to BMG had he been of age .

Mark's Father I've been told was tidy in his day, glad to hear he recovered from a broken Jaw so quickly he can participate . never did hear a statement from Dublin over what happened there.

Is Michael Ryan selector SKully Ryan?

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Denny61

You know nothing about hurling..go back to bed lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Denny61

• Registered Users Posts: 14,596 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

• Registered Users Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

The time for Waterford has come. The golden generation are in their prime. Limerick finding it hard to keep form after two all-irelands in a row - three in four years. They're only human. Waterford have the management they want and all their players are in their prime. Cork and Galway talent is coming like a train. Limerick will be back too. Waterford have to make hay while the sun shines. Club All-Ireland won. League won. First national title in a while. It's now or never. Up against a Tipp in transition with a manager in the job only a few months. Cahill has been with Waterford - what? Third year? This is it now.

Perfect little starter on the weekend to get the legs going - dots the i's - cross the t's - and get ready for the real game, the really big game against Limerick. Waterford can't lose the all-ireland this year. Their name is on the cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 914Deise

Haha OK I'll take the bait.

Your right about Waterfords name being on the cup, it's on it since 48 and again in 59.

As regards Limerick being out of form, same thing was said after last year's league. Limerick do not give one fiddlers about the league and everyone knows it.

Waterford have plenty of underage talent coming up over the next few years so I'd expect us to be in contention for at least another 5+ years.

I have no doubt also that the Waterford panel and management are getting themselves ready for the real game, the really big game against Tipp on Sunday.

May the best team on the day win.

Up the Deise!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Just four days to go, the nerves starting to build a little. Any word from the camp, will Jamie Barron be in contention to make a comeback? I suppose if he is, he'd be unlikely to start and any appearance would most likely be from the bench. Any other injuries that have cropped up since the league final? Colin Dunford went off early against Wexford with a hamstring injury, any update on his availability for Sunday? Aussie will surely be chomping at the bit to make up for missing the league final.

Usually this time of the week leading up to a game you hear the proverbial such and such "is flying in training" which inevitably puts a curse on the player in question! Hopefully Cahill has a full panel to choose from but if one or two are out there are plenty to slot in and do a job.

The Tipp lads don't seem any way confident and look to be travelling more in hope than expectation but I think they'll put up one hell of a fight. I mentioned here last week we don't have a good record of opening championship games and Tipp will be all too happy to be not given a hope. All the pressure is on us to deliver and I pray we're not caught out Sunday. I don't even want to contemplate a loss, we need the win a lot more than they do as I reckon they'll be looking more towards their home games against Clare and Cork for wins. On paper, they have probably their two toughest games away from home (ourselves and Limerick) so there may be an element of them looking at these games more for a performance and finding a settled 15.

If we pick up from where we left off at the tail end of the league we'll win, it's really just a case of keeping up the good form, work rate and executing the running game as seamlessly as possible to create scoring opportunities. If we hit the net at least 2 or 3 times, you'd imagine we should be good for the win so it'll be interesting to see what Tipp come up with to stop goals.

Best of luck also to the U20's tonight in Thurles.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Deiselurker

No ticket yet and by all accounts very high demand for them. When are clubs giving them out? It will annoy me if I don't get one as was at 2 of the league group games and league final but that doesn't give you any advantage when it comes to championship tickets. There was 6500 or so at home league game v Tipperary but probably will be double that on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

‘Such and such’ flying in training……love that one alright……also we used to hear about ‘the savage training games’ that ‘the red faced one’ (coady) used to get out of his A and B players in the 2005 to 2015 era….tearing lumps out of each other, better than any challenge game…they used to attract massive crowds to now-lan pk……is Cahill doing something similar….?

Sunday’s game ‘on paper’ should go waterford’s way but so many times in the past the favourites tag has not sat well……who recalls cork v Waterford in 1999……cork had gotten a lesson from loughlane and Co in 1998, had introduced a load of new players, think it was ‘óg cusacks’ fist game and also Ben and Gerry’s, and the infamous ‘collars up guy’ mickey o Connell who had a field day scoring 9-10 pts from play and was hardly heard of again in subsequent years……

Tipp are in a mini decline/rebuilding/transitioning call it what you like but notwithstanding this they won’t have enjoyed one bit the 10 pt plus defeat (biggest Waterford winning margin v Tipp in the last 50 years apparently) they got in Walsh park 4/5 weeks ago and they were well ahead in this game in the first 20 mins…..Bonnar is not lacking motivation for his troops.

Also like it or not there is only one Waterford championship win in 14 years v Tipp. To lose on Sunday wouldn’t spell the end of the season…. would finishing 3rd in munster be too much of a bad thing…….no Munster final and potential second trophy but to win Munster might just heap more pressure/favourites tag on the team…and see them lose a 1/4 final or semi…?

In any case, despite all the above……a team going places, with a strong panel and showing good form (albeit league games) should not be affected by a ‘favourites tag’…….it’s Cahill and cos job to have them properly physically and mentally prepared for the weeks ahead

So I’m predicting a 3/4 pt victory on Sunday, followed by a 5/6 pt defeat to limerick, a draw v langers and narrow victory v lohan’s troops……finish at no 3 and make a semi final v kk with a 5/6 pt victory followed by another ‘crack’ at limerick in final grinding out a 1 pt victory with last minute goal from a fringe panel player who comes off the bench in last ten mins….😀😀😀

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Jerry Atrick

No...he didn't 'allude' to anything or praise Philip Mahony/Ballygunner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

'I'd allude to the preconception that Philip is under no allusions as to what's needed'.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

P.S. Philip Mahony is a sound fella as is every fella in the preconception that is Ballygunner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

• Registered Users Posts: 38,311 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Best of luck to the under 20s tonight

Be great to get a win in that grade after losing out against Tipp twice in the last 2 campaigns

The new structure is good and gives teams more games. We play Kerry In Fraher Field next Weds 20th April

• Registered Users Posts: 9,759 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Tonight's game is live on YouTube

https://youtu.be/FRRrrmBiBaI

• Registered Users Posts: 38,311 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Weather not great for Sunday

Damn it .... the original forecast was much better (my stand ticket has morphed into a terrace ticket).

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭spideyman92

I'll take it off your hands if you don't fancy the soaking haha.

Waterford have had plenty of possession but littered with errors ; poor handling, mistimed passes, getting each in other’s way ; slack marking. Otherwise, they’re only a point behind. Couple of classy points by Patrick Fitzgerald off a very limited supply of ball ; selectors, take note.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Ballyvoile Boy

If the U20s can get over their initial nerves, this game is there for them. Get up to the pace of the game in defence & the Waterford forwards have potential aplenty to get scores. Can't help feeling a change or two will be made in the 2nd half & that it could benefit Waterford. Then again, Tipp might have some to bring on too. The game feels like it could burst into life yet with a goal & hopefully that will be for Waterford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Completely agree. How we are only a point down I can't explain as we've been extremely careless with the ball. All as you describe and even Waterford players on their own under no pressure dropping the ball and running past it. They look under cooked to be honest and the distribution into the forwards has been very poor. And yet only a point down.

Advertisement