Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭thesultan

Take it first come first seated in the shambles on Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Very dangerous mentality- Waterford on about resting players for the following week they are so sure of beating Tipperary??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

If you want to read his articles to good luck to you, but i can tell you he’s the last fellah in Waterford anyone listens to

theres a lot of more respected hurling men in Waterford this week expecting a huge battle from Tipp on Sunday. A team littered with AI medals of all grades throughout the team

Colm Bonner is hugely respected here too been living down here with many years, played hurling with Dunhill in his latter years, I know his children well and his son is a staunch Waterford supporter as you’ll get!

Looking forward to a great battle on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 11 914Deise

Waterford are not on about resting players. It's one lone person who mustn't understand the importance of winning our home games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

A former Waterford manager who led Waterford to an league title, unbeaten, in 2015. A manager who led Waterford to the all-ireland final in 2017 and nobody listens to him about hurling in Waterford? What?!?!?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

I guess you’re unaware that the post was by a Tipp supporter…

So no, Waterford aren’t on about resting players.

Tipp fans trying to create a false narrative on the other hand…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭decies

With 8-51 scored in the league, Waterford's star forward is set to dominate the summer

https://the42.ie/5738740

he done ok as manager, there were some good days out as you said but overall you’d have to say Waterford underachieved under his reign given the players at his disposal. Threw away an AI semi drawn game in 2016 and shipping 5 goals to Tipp in Munster final the same year despite an overtly defensive setup, and not forgetting his last year 2018 ended in disaster.. For someone who is supposed to be an innovative thinker on the game he couldn’t find anywhere on his team for the likes of Stephen Bennett and Patrick Curran, Bennett was left on the bench for the AI final, he was 22 not 18 btw,

anyway the point of my original post was not to discredit him as a manager, as he done some good things, but as a pundit where the common consensus is that he’s a bit of a raver. If media outlets are willing to give him a few bobthen more luck to him but i don’t know too many people that pay much heed to him

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Bigsliothar

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭JD. 60

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Deise boii

Babs done well with tipp back in the day but I'm sure noone really listens to him in tipperary. Waterford are the exact same with Derek at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 38,312 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Nerves at me already, Sunday really is a huge game for us. Lose and were under some amount of pressure

Remember similar articles coming out before the 2019 championship about how we're a coming force for the championship etc and we all know what happened in that campaign

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

Not representative at all.

I'd like to beat Liam Cahill far more than I'd like to quieten Derek McGrath (the only two people from Tipperary who care about what he says must be on boards.ie).

Liam not taking the job has pretty much consigned us to the doldrums for many years to come as we will have to sit through at least one, but probably more years with a manager who shouldn't be anywhere near the job.

If Waterford are a good team then they will win this weekend with relative ease. Good teams are not nervous about playing teams they are better than.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭chookieourlaw

Tickets up again on Ticketmaster lads - including stand tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,312 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Stand tickets on Ticketmaster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

What's driving all the quad injuries

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Just got a stand ticket on Ticketmaster. Terrace up too.

Earlier championship start then normal this year so the intensity is up earlier and players have to up to speed a lot quicker

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

For the third year in a row, Waterford lost an under-20 game against Tipperary which they could have won. At least on this occasion, in contrast to the previous two games, Tipperary were deserving winners. Possibly due to the fact that they had already played a game (in which they got a decent test), their first touch and ball handling were on a different plane to Waterford’s fumblefest. They were also much better coached, producing some excellent teamwork and passing movements.

Of course, a good first touch does give you the extra second to look up and find a team mate. Waterford, by contrast, were repeatedly under pressure from a hard-working Tipp team, giving rise to missed lifts, dropped balls, misplaced passes and poor deliveries. As a result, the two Fitzgeralds in the Waterford full-forward line, who looked like they could do damage whenever they got the ball in hand, unfortunately only rarely managed to do so.

Normally, teams which start a game nervously eventually settle down, but on Wednesday night Waterford churned out the errors from start to finish with metronomic regularity. I counted 62 in all (mainly fumbles but also including getting caught in possession, misplaced passes, getting blocked down and poor deliveries), 30 in the first half and 32 in the second.

The main reason there was so little between the teams at the end was the fact that, like the minors last week, Waterford were very efficient in their shooting, hitting just three wides to Tipperary’s eleven. In fact, that probably should be only two wides as, from my vantage point in the stand, I had sympathy with Patrick Fitzgerald’s protests that his late shot from the right wing went between the posts and not outside, as signalled by the umpires. 

This contrast in scoring efficiency was reflected in the respective free takers. Aaron Ryan had nine shots from placed balls and scored them all. Tipperary’s Kyle Shelly had a 100% record in the first half but his radar went askew after the change of ends and he missed several shots. He still managed ten points from frees.

And yet, Tipperary’s first goal should have been disallowed for a square ball. I thought this to be the case on first viewing, and watching the video later on showed conclusively that Kyle Shelly was in the square long before the ball arrived. The referee himself appeared to have concerns about this, but bowed to his incompetent umpire. If the other umpire was wrong about Patrick Fitzgerald’s shot, then the eventual gap between the teams was down to umpiring errors.

Tipperary’s second goal was also very soft, as full back Ronan Power was far too easily beaten by Jack Leamy at the Ryan Stand sideline, allowing him a free run at goal to set up Peter McGarry to finish to the net. On the basis of this performance, placing Power at the edge of the square was a peculiar decision, as he demonstrated a poor understanding of the basics of defending. Even in the first ten minutes, he was far too open in attempting to lift a ball and was easily dispossessed by McGarry for a soft point, while a few minutes later he gave away a silly foul after failing to get the ball in hand out near the sideline. Given that he was an ever-present at left half back for the Ballygunner All-Ireland winning team, you would imagine that he would have been of much greater value farther out the field, especially given how little he contributed at full back.

In last year’s Munster minor final, whatever hope Waterford had was undermined by a mindless puckout strategy which meant that very little ball went in to Waterford’s potent full forward line. With the same set of mentors in place, we saw history repeating itself on Wednesday. Waterford needed to take a lesson from the county’s senior team by working the ball out from the back to a free man in the midfield area who could get the ball in over the Tipperary half back line to the inside forwards. Instead, no coherent puckout strategy was in evidence, with the goalkeeper apparently just making it up as he went along.

Nevertheless, there were still many positives for Waterford from the game. And, in a good sign for the future, most of them were in the forward line. Pádraig Fitzgerald confirmed the good impression he made for WIT in the Fitzgibbon Cup with an excellent performance from limited supply. His goal was a real gem, from a good ball sent in by the other Kilrossanty Fitzgerald, who had an excellent second half (are they brothers?). His namesake Patrick again showed what a potential jewel he is, and was unlucky that a first half shot went over rather than under the ball. It was good to see his cousin Mark back playing after the nasty injury he sustained earlier in the year. He could still be a big factor for us later in the competition. Incidentally, when Clashmore’s Josh Fitzgerald came on as a late sub, Waterford had five Fitzgeralds on the field, which must be some kind of record.

Jake Foley looked sharp when introduced as a substitute, and the other player to make a big impression was Seán Walsh, who is big, good in the air, and a good hurler which marks him out as another future prospect.

Posters here have remarked that, while Waterford are now routinely competitive at under-age level, they still are not winning matches. Bord na nÓg, their officials and coaches deserve great credit for producing a continuous stream of young players with good individual skills. That they are not delivering when they move into minor and under-20 level is, to my mind, mainly attributable to county management groups who repeatedly fall down in terms of tactical coaching, mental preparation, team selection and game management. Apart from Wednesday night’s game, it was also noticeable how much better coached Tipperary were in last week’s minor game. This was reflected in their ability to work the ball to their dangerous corner forward, Damien Corbett. Neither this week nor last did Waterford have any coherent plan to get good ball into their dangerous full forwards.

This points to the need for a full-time director of under-age coaching in Waterford – someone who can put a well-structured and organised system in place to identify and train good coaches to be placed in charge of county teams on a planned basis. I don’t know if there is any provision for this in the Waterford Rising scheme, but for me it is an urgent requirement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭skaface

Cheers for the heads up.. Got a terrace tkt myself

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭conor05

Everything Derek McGrath says and writes about in relation to this Waterford team is to heap pressure more and more pressure on Liam Cahill.

Del boy doesn’t want Liam Cahill to win the All Ireland with ‘his’ crop of players that he feels he owns.

I think it would kill McGrath if Waterford won the All Ireland under Cahill.

A blind man could see it at this stage.

Its one of the reasons Cahill got rid of Noel Connors, he was Del Boy to the core.

I still laugh to this day that Connors asked to ‘hold a meeting’ with Cahill upon his appointment I presume to let Cahill know how things run around here.

Only ended one way!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭chookieourlaw

Was never a huge fan of the way McGrath's teams played hurling, but think your take there is a bit unfair, especially since it's impossible for anyone except Mcgrath himself to tell how he'd feel if waterford won the AI under Cahill. I'd bet that his first instinct, like every other Waterford hurling supporter, would be pure ecstasy, mixed with a big amount of relief.

"Everything Derek McGrath says and writes about in relation to this Waterford team is to heap pressure more and more pressure on Liam Cahill.

Del boy doesn’t want Liam Cahill to win the All Ireland with ‘his’ crop of players that he feels he owns.

I think it would kill McGrath if Waterford won the All Ireland under Cahill.

A blind man could see it at this stage.

Its one of the reasons Cahill got rid of Noel Connors, he was Del Boy to the core.

I still laugh to this day that Connors asked to ‘hold a meeting’ with Cahill upon his appointment I presume to let Cahill know how things run around here.

Only ended one way!"

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭JD. 60

Agreed that Tipperary were the better team or should that should read, the better organised team. The U20s had plenty of time and practice to be ready but at times it looked like they had never played together before. The 'strategy' (not the goalie's fault) of lumping the ball downfield and Waterford players trying to bat in down to no-one in particular was a bit primitive. Anyway, let's not forget the positives of some fine individual performances.

Beat Kerry next time and then likely face a formidable Cork team ; the Cork underage bandwagon shows no sign of slowing down, noting that their U17 corner forward (O'Sullivan) scored 3-9 (3-5 from play) the other night, before being substituted in the 50th minute !

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭tommylad1212

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭decies

Gates open 12.30 Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Pudz2180

Anyone else hear anything about Stephen Bennett being a doubt aswell, issues with his knee again, same problem which kept him out of Kilkenny and Wexford games. Even with the two boys I was worried but if they are missing it makes Sundays game a lot more even especially when Jamie Barron will more than likely not be playing aswell!

Sunday is up there with one of most important games waterford have played in last 50 years,

Id argue even as important as the all ireland of 2020 (was bit early in the development under cahill,and not as good a panel put together)

We lose sunday,facing into an monster task to turn limerick over next saturday and at best facing a repeat of last year,a series of tougher and tougher backdoor games,culminating in running out of steam in another semi final

Win sunday,and the whole summer opens up in front of us

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭seananigans

Lads,anyone playing fantasy hurling have created a league for this forum

Invitation Code: HWDCIN-1650046133

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Dont Stop

Advertisement