Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Wtf are you on about?

Hard to be sure but something like because of Derek McGrath's unusual words there's a 60% chance we're going to lose the Munster Final to Limerick and a 40% chance we'll lose it to Tipperary.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Yes its great to be in a final. And it's a 60/40 game in Limericks favour but 40% isn't a bad odds. My only issue will be Derek McGrath. Hes a terrible pundit. He looks up a rarely used word in his pocket dictionary and throws it in to big himself up..Thats quiet funny. But he backs against Limerick 90% of the time...he loves Tipp..absolutely loves them. I dunno how he was let send out teams against Tipperary..

The bookies have it at 80% chance for Limerick - best price, some have it at 82% chance. All bookies agree on a 22.2 % chance to Waterford.

If you legitimately believe Waterford have a 40% chance then you should lump on Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭BazBox

Yes its great to be in a final. And it's a 60/40 game in Limericks favour but 40% isn't a bad odds. My only issue will be Derek McGrath. Hes a terrible pundit. He looks up a rarely used word in his pocket dictionary and throws it in to big himself up..Thats quiet funny. But he backs against Limerick 90% of the time...he loves Tipp..absolutely loves them. I dunno how he was let send out teams against Tipperary..

Derek was on The Sunday Game last week praising Limerick for about 5-10 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

what is God's name have you been smoking...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

He is an English teacher......might explain some of his atypical gas pundit choice of words......as for his biased-ness I think you are being a bit silly......not a big fan of his but he is fair and balanced.........Similar to president trump style remarks/comments...??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Asdfgh2020 wrote: »
    He is an English teacher......might explain some of his atypical gas pundit choice of words......as for his biased-ness I think you are being a bit silly......not a big fan of his but he is fair and balanced.........Similar to president trump style remarks/comments...??

The most high profile English teacher I’ve come across. Very knowledgeable but also can be tough to listen to. His 2 main reference points to quote are Shakespeare and Philip Mahony. Mahony mostly!

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

.Thats quiet funny.

Pity Derek didn't teach you English
    * quite

• Registered Users Posts: 38,384 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The most high profile English teacher I’ve come across. Very knowledgeable but also can be tough to listen to. His 2 main reference points to quote are Shakespeare and Philip Mahony. Mahony mostly!

He also works in DLS collage with Kevin Moran and one of the Cork players can't think of his name but he was captain of them in 2017

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

PTH2009 wrote: »
    He also works in DLS collage with Kevin Moran and one of the Cork players can't think of his name but he was captain of them in 2017
    Stephen McDonnell was their captain in 17

Stephen McDonnell was their captain in 17

My mistake

Think its Mark Ellis who is/was a teacher at DLS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I actually thought for a while Gleeson had matured but there is no hope for the guy now. You might be able to put his fiery temper and constant red cards down to immaturity and age but what is he now, 25? 26? And still getting reds for ridiculous reasons, even after the point is over!!! Shame, he had potential but people like that never change.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

Find it strange how today people are praising how good Cork were yesterday and how poor they were last weekend against Waterford but nothing about maybe how good Waterford were🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

I actually thought for a while Gleeson had matured but there is no hope for the guy now. You might be able to put his fiery temper and constant red cards down to immaturity and age but what is he now, 25? 26? And still getting reds for ridiculous reasons, even after the point is over!!! Shame, he had potential but people like that never change.

If anyone can knock it out if him it will be Cahill. Derek McGrath was no good for his development, blowing smoke up his arse and telling him he’s a hero when what he needed in those early years was someone to put the fear of God into him. Make him see how that side of his game is detrimental to both himself and his colleagues. I think Cahill has a ruthless streak and commands utmost respect, anyone that dosent toe the line will fall by the way side. Interesting to see how this ends up.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Moggy13

IanVW wrote: »
    Find it strange how today people are praising how good Cork were yesterday and how poor they were last weekend against Waterford but nothing about maybe how good Waterford were🙄

To be honest its rampant in the media since last Saturday, whatever you do dont go near PROC or read articles in the Echo because its blinkered. Sky Sports commentary is appaling and totally rose tinted so I take that with a pinch of salt. We have not been at the races since 2017 so it is kind of expected we won't get the credit deserved.

I thought Dublin were woeful yesterday. Some of the skills on show i.e. bouncing the sliothar on the hurley coming out of defence and a total lack of game plan was worrying from the off.

Any Cork Waterford game is 50/50 so lets just use the lack of credit to further fuel our motivation for Limerick, because we will need everything against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

I think Nash is a good barometer for the pressure being put on Cork. When the heat is on he cracks and puts his short puck outs over the line or to opposition players. Yesterday he was fine as that pressure wasn't being applied.

Great win for the camogie team
    Westmeath 0-10 v 2-17 Waterford

Into the QFs now

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Great win for the camogie team
    Westmeath 0-10 v 2-17 Waterford

Into the QFs now

great win for the camogie team again today alright, think Beth carton scored about 1-12. A very tough quarter final against tipp to come but this team are gaining experience all the time so hopefully they can take the next step and win the quarter final, third year in a row to make the quarter final

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    think Beth carton scored about 1-12.

I streamed it on Facebook yesterday, yeah, she is an unreal player.

fricatus wrote: »
    I streamed it on Facebook yesterday, yeah, she is an unreal player.

yes she is a brilliant player, deserves more recognition locally in my view, the scores she puts up is incredible. she is only 22 and has 2 all stars already

• Registered Users Posts: 49 HelloHello1234

i know it probably wont happen but walsh park or fraher field would be ideal location for Tipp V Cork in the qualifiers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

i know it probably wont happen but walsh park or fraher field would be ideal location for Tipp V Cork in the qualifiers

Ah come on now..supping on the 'Kool-Aid' ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

If i send you €100 through Revolut can you send me whatever your on. it sounds fun :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

So anyone level headed would say it's very unlikely we can beat Limerick in the Munster final. You could argue that if we come within 10 points, we'll be doing well. That would even mark progress.

Ignoring all that as none of us are level headed......
    If we are to win, how can we do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Ian OB

So anyone level headed would say it's very unlikely we can beat Limerick in the Munster final. You could argue that if we come within 10 points, we'll be doing well. That would even mark progress.

For a start, if Austin can keep his cool then anything is possible

Being in a Munster final is a massive bonus and we have nothing too lose really in terms of performance.

Win/lose we have another chance, something that might not have been possible if we're in the qualifiers

John mullane was on wlr this morning... reckons we are in trouble if it turns into a physical battle around the middle third. he says we need to keep moving and move the ball through the lines to attack their full back line with good ball into our full forward line ... be interesting to see what sort of a plan Cahill comes up with

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

IanVW wrote: »

I too noticed how little credit, or even coverage, Waterford received from the media pundits over the last week for their win over Cork. Following Cork’s defeat of Dublin last Saturday, their performance the previous weekend is now being presented as some kind of blip or aberration.

In my view, the key factor in Cork’s win last Saturday was Dublin’s awfulness. I have long been of the view that, if you allow Cork to play, they will probably beat you up a stick. But if you get stuck into them, they don’t want to know.

This is not to say that Waterford’s win over the Rebels was due entirely to getting stuck into them. Waterford also had a clear game plan which they executed to great effect, and they played some excellent hurling into the bargain.

Last Saturday, Dublin were not at the races in any of these departments. They allowed Cork to run around the place without putting a finger on them. I don’t remember a single decent hard tackle in the entire game.

Dublin persisted with a long puckout strategy from start to finish, even though they couldn’t win any of their puckouts to save their lives. This gave Cork a major platform from which to launch attacks. Meanwhile, time and again Anthony Nash found Cork players in space with his directed puckouts.

On top of that, Dublin’s error count was extremely high – poor decision-making, over and underhit passes, poor striking.

Mattie Kenny got quite a reputation when leading Cuala to two All-Ireland club championships. They were skillful, well-organised, had a good game plan and played with great commitment and will-to-win. Who will ever forget their epic All-Ireland club final victory over Na Piarsaigh?

But none of this was in evidence with Dublin last Saturday. Kenny’s management of the game was terrible. The Dublin midfield was completely missing yet he made no change there until far too late. Probably his best player, Chris Crummey, wasn’t getting a puck at centre forward but he never brought him to midfield or defence where his size and strength might have been used to much greater effect.

Dublin kept playing the ball around out the field and eventually losing it, instead of playing ball into their full forward line where it was frequently two on two. And just like with Cork last week, they kept hitting poorly directed ball which was hoovered up by Mark Coleman.

While Dublin kept plugging away, more in desperation than hope, they had lost all shape by the final quarter. Kenny threw Crummey, Liam Rushe and Conal Keaney into the Cork goal area and starting lobbing high balls into them, even though the chances of getting possession in such a crowded area were minimal and the chances of even swinging a hurley were even less.

Kenny suggested afterwards that Dublin may have been suffering from fatigue in their third game in 15 days. Yet their game against Laois was little more than a training spin while they didn’t even raise a gallop for 50 minutes of their game against Kilkenny. They produced a similarly abject no-show against Laois last year, a game they should have been able to win comfortably. Ultimately, it’s all in the head, and the first requirement of any good manager is to get his players’ heads right. Thus far, the indications are that Liam Cahill has this precious ability in spades.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

1. Cut the wide count in half from the last day.
    2. The direct running we saw against Cork may cause us trouble as Limerick turned over a lot of ball this way against tipp. nice balls into the corners and smart passing like callinan showed may generate goals. Dont think our long range shooting is good enough or our decision making though.
    3. Goals - will need 3-4 goals I would think.
    4. Stop limerick playing to their potential - > ?

Colm Lyons from Cork the ref for Sunday

• Advertisement

Put gleeson centre back.....TdB on kyle hayes is a receipe for diaster

I think our midfield will give em enough of it,and match em in terms of mobility

Suspect they have the edge on us,in terms of forwards

No shane bennett,mahony or maurice shanahan,each.capable of lighting up on a given.day

Advertisement