Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Agree 100% with selection - one game does not define you and Monty and Daly had improved game on game throughout the league - also they are both physically very strong - we saw the impact last week of being able to bring in Gleeson and Barron last week would bringing in Daly and Monty from the bench that lift ? - Cahill and co have shown belief and so must we as supporters - think both Daly and Monty could play a big part tomorrow - up the Deise 💙🤍💙🤍💙🤍

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

I dunno lads if I was a Waterford supporter I'd want my best 15 starting I thought ye'd this huge panel with loads of options? as a limerick man I thought when barron went into the ff line the last time he looked very dangerous?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

This talk of Waterford not showing their hand tomorrow is total nonsense, as is the talk of Waterford not needing to win the game as the focus is on “bigger” games further down the line.

If we’re serious about winning an All Ireland, this is an absolute must win game tomorrow. Laying down a marker against the All Ireland champions, in Limerick, is the best way to prove how good we are. Can we best Limerick? Absolutely we can. A win against Limerick tomorrow will be the best result we’ve had in years and that’s a fact. Anybody thinking it’s not all about tomorrow is talking rubbish. Say we lose by 10 points tomorrow night, does anybody seriously think we could go and beat them further down the line? If you don’t beat the best teams the first day, you don’t beat them the second day. How many times did that great Kilkenny team underperform and somehow get a draw in a game only to go out and win the next day? Did Kilkenny ever lose a replay under Cody actually? The same logic applies here. If we don’t win tomorrow I don’t see how we beat them in a few weeks/months time.

Cahill will start the team that’s named, we won’t see Gleeson or Barron in from the start. If he was in to mind games, which he’s not, then he’d have named them and then left them on the bench. Cahill trusts his panel and with all the talk recently about how strong our panel is, there’s plenty of giving out about the team that's starting. I trust Cahill, he knows more than I do and more than anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭JD. 60

Up to now, Cahill hasn’t been one to name dummy teams so I expect the team to line out as expected. It’s a bit unusual that there have been no changes (?) to the subs either.

A fascinating match awaits and not one for the faint hearted. Waterford were hard done by last year, having to play week now week out so there are no excuses this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

bit of a curveball team selection thrown there. Don’t buy into it for a second that Cahill has his eye further down the path, nonsense. If you don’t win your games in Munster there will be no more games fullstop

Post edited by Mastermcgrath on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Montys return

@Mastermcgrath Is anyone else at least open to considering that fellas coming back from injury may be deemed not fit enough to risk in what really isn't a must win game?

@Motivator We need to qualify from Munster, that's all. Limerick and Tipp weren't too concerned about "laying down markers" against Clare and Limerick in 2018 and 2019 respectively. Nor should we be, protect your best players.

We've had a lot of injury trouble already this season.

@lim4ev if we'd "this strong panel", why would we need to necessarily play the best 15 on paper tomorrow? Surely the opposite is true? By the way, the best 20 in the Country quote was from Anthony Daly during the league, not anyone from Waterford bigging up the team. Personally, think yer first 20 is better. But for me, that doesn't mean we can't beat ye when it matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭letsseehere14

I agree with your first line, I dont think Cahill will start guys not capable of at least 50 mins especially for this game. I think he knows yell need a boost after 30 or 40 mins. Maybe the plan is stay in the game till then, then bring in the 2 impact subs. Its a fair assessment to say we don't have players of Barrons or Gleesons quality to bring in but weve a stronger starting 15.

Every team has injury issues. Casey, Flanagan, Hayes all certain starters for us. Clare have Rogers, Shanagher, O'Donnell hasn't played for over a Yr. Tipp lost Maher, Callinan, Bubbles, Bowe, Connors, all 5 would challenge to start for them. I think Waterford are doing ok on the injury front.

There was guys on this forum saying that not only did Waterford have the best 20, they had the best 26.

One poster here, for the final round of the league, even suggested leaving the best 26 on the bus and togging out the next best players as they'd be able to put a challenge up to Kilkenny and they'd be better than the likes of the Laois or Westmeaths of this world. Basically saying not only had ye the best 20, best 26 but best 52 in the country.

I think Kiely will want to make a mark today. To beat the 2 tipped to challenge us in the first 2 rounds sets out our stall early. It will also mean the Waterford Cork game in rd 4 becomes a very big occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭skaface

Best of luck to Lian and the squad tonight..Hopefully the Big Deise Support in Limerick later will drive the lads on for the win.

Up The Deise

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Pudz2180

Agree totally, talks of a free shot tonight are nonsense. Lose tonight and the Cork game becomes a huge game which will bring plenty of pressure. Cork were awful last week end but they are a very unpredictable team and could turn up in Walsh park and shoot the lights out and then that would leave us heading to Ennis looking for a win to hopefully qualify us ( that’s a nightmare scenario). All this talk of we will probably play limerick two more time this year is silly. One game at a time and everyone should just focus on winning tonight’s game and nothing else

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭decies

great posters and debate on here but god hate boards would anybody be interested in a Waterford GAA whats app group or telegram group or something else . Am fine with bloody hell no but just putting it out there for interests cheers . Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 OverTheBarPOints

Good luck to Liam and the Team this evening , a tough challenge ahead , hope we put in a good performance, all the pressure is off Waterford for this one as we are not expected to win . All we need from this game is to close the gap, save the win for the day it counts most.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Montys return

I'd say we look like by the end of Munster we could have a full panel to pick from if everyone stays fit and fitness increases so certainly better on the long term injuries front.

Through the league we'd more injuries than anyone I would suggest and so you've to consider other players coming back to full fitness, Calum Lyons being an obvious example. Prunty also looked very leggy last Sunday. So for me we've to try and prevent new injuries also, probably lucky to have two weeks off after this round.

That best 52 I can only hope was tongue in cheek. But there's no doubt Anthony Daly first introduced it, and a few others may have got a bit too excited.

Kiely may want to lay down a marker and I'm sure Cahill wants to do something similar in terms of performance. My point without trying to read too much in to psychology is both teams have bigger games ahead. Hopefully a great game though, looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Not showing our strongest hand? Surely Limerick know who Gleeson and Barron are!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,315 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Best of luck to the team and management today. Let's hope its a good day in that bloody venue

Safe travels to all, in Limerick now any suggestions for pre match food and drink ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

You could try The Curragower, or Coqbull, or The Hook and Ladder, maybe The Cornerstore is you want to celebrate a victory. JJ Bowles?

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Glenomra

The Locke has plenty of room outside. A lovely pub.

All the best to the team tonight hopefully we can get one over on this limerick team and show we are genuine contenders to their crown.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

months return I wasn't having a dig at you when I said if ye had this huge panel I actually think ye've a flaking panel but not as strong as some make out. can't see how you can say no one in Waterford is bigging ye up? Mr mc grath? the great john mullane?

isn't it great limerick and Waterford are the 2 biggies at the moment.

enjoy the match

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Brutal traffic in tipp town ... to be expected I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

Dont mind McGrath!

Mullane gets excitable alright, he did tip Limerick to win today in fairness but obviously had a fair few articles already written before today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭seananigans

commentary says we havent bet limerick since 2011 is that right ? seems we should have in the interim ,although we were lucky that day

Jesus it’s hard to warm to that gearoid hegarty!! Disappointing not to be ahead. Would move prunty back on gillane. Really after throwing Tom Barron in at the deep end

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭JD. 60

Frantic game ; great contest. No real goal chances created. Curran not involved so far. Might see Monty coming in soon. Callum Lyons playing a blinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

We bet them in 2011, didn’t play them again until 2018, load of tripe

Edit: Meant to reply to seananigans above

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

Good contest.

Occasionally showing the way to play around limerick, not sure why they are choosing to run into the contact, like darragh lyons intentionally running into hegarthy.

Need to be smarter.

Hopefully dessie and bennett come into it more in second half.

We badly need to be taken our goal changes against this crowd (Limerick) to stand any chance of getting passed them as they are killing us in the air, they obtain possession too easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Great stick pass from Bennett that opened Limerick up. Perfect playmaking pass. Fantastic goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭jluv

Great game! Hard luck but they played with no fear..

Great to get some goals against Limerick, this will give them some confidence for future meetings, but only scoring a point in the last 20 mins is a real concern , we always seem to fall back against Limerick after 50 mins. But a big BUT Limerick may worry a bit more about us getting through their fullback line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Great game, we’re not a million miles away. Lots of our wides float over on another day.

The difference between the two games on sky today were night and day

Advertisement