Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭JD. 60

A couple of missed frees didn’t help, then again Limerick had some bad wides near the end. As the lads on Sky highlighted, Waterford had other goal opportunities but the killer pass wasn’t given with spare men in the vicinity.

Kiely put in a great shift, even if not getting on the scoresheet. Also, Dessie went to town on Finn in the 2nd half then no ball came his way. Jamie not in the game when he came on ; Tadgh also not at his best. Thought Tom Barron improved as the game went on.

A nice break to the Cork games, with time to recharge the batteries ; won’t be easy to win but play anything like today and there’s only going to be one result.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

**** it. A great opportunity given injuries but I'll take them on again. Goal threat is there and some bad wides.

Learning opportunity and bring them again

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Wonderful game and great effort. I know we lost but I’m happy with the performance as I’d rather the perfect game later in the year. At least we know (and they know) that we’re not far off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,315 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Great effort but frustrating result. No doubt we will learn from this and hopefully find the solutions

Nice to have a little break now and by the time the Cork game rolls around it will be round 4 and we'll have an idea what's needed

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭spideyman92

Kinda let down by the poor number of travelling supporters I think. Crap time for a match so far away but a couple thousand more could have potentially gave us a bit of boost. We were always going to be outnumbered but it was too quiet whenever we did get scores.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭decies

So many emotions a lot of limerick fans insufferable on social media , I’d love it if we could knock them out of the championship. The break comes at a opportune moment . Hopefully lessons are learned and we can build on this and finally put this curse to bed .

Couldn’t agree more I was in the corner block 114 uncovered 90% plus limerick fans . You will have people saying I can’t get a ticket for Walsh park yet terrible support tonight bar one section in main stand . Have thought this way for a while to be honest that the away support is severely lacking allowing for population differences following team .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

awful time and location for a game. From my own perspective and I’m sure there’s plenty more like me, I’ve been tied up with juvenile games yesterday and today. 2 more games tomorrow and Monday. Literally didn’t have the time to head to limerick for the game.

i know money talks but the gaa really let their own people down with these Saturday evening games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Overall to lose by 3 points isnt a bad result. If we'd have took a hammering it would have undone the feelgood factor built up in the last few weeks.. at least it showed there are ways to get at this Limerick side and we have the tools at our disposal. Yes we are still behind them but not massively so, i think Cahill will be happy enough as he knows now what needs to be worked on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 jmf1993

Was in same stand section 216 , two of us surrounded by all Limerick supporters. Looks like all the sunshine supporters decided Limerick was too far to travel to…..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Sunshine, lol. How many games within the county will you have been to this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Definetly some positives to take in the overall scheme of things. Many people would have taken a 3 point defeat against Limerick in their backyard. Put them to pin of their collar, No team has taken Limerick down the home stretch like this over the past 3 or 4 years. Good to break their rearguard with those 2 goals.

On the flip side, this is a Limerick team without Cian Lunch, Kyle Hayes, Seamus Flanagan, Peter Casey yet we couldn’t score a single point in the final 20 mins. Limerick utterly dominant in certain areas of the pitch for considerable periods. Gleeson continues to frustrate. Tadgh De Burca snuffed out of the game.

As w previous poster said we’ll know where things stand for the cork game but really need to target that game for a win as we don’t want to be dependant on going up to Ennis to get a result on the final weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Quite positive in here. As a neutral I was a bit disappointed. Scoreline flattered ye a bit. Were well outplayed for most of it.

Has the 11 point gap closed? Maybe but not by much. Take out the ineffectual Mulcahy and Boylan and also O Neill who did quite well and looks a prospect and throw in Flanagan, Lynch and Hayes and its a scary prospect. Could be like 2020 again. 4 point gap in munster final. Comfortable 11 point gap in AI. Dusappointing because ye arw the only hope of thwarting them this year, but after tonight bar, I dont see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,746 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Not fair really. It's a long trip to Limerick with practically no public transport options back to Waterford and also very very few cheap accommodation options in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Put them to pin of their collar, No team has taken Limerick down the home stretch like this over the past 3 or 4 years. 

Galway were level in the 2020 AI semi final well into injury time

• Registered Users Posts: 38,315 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Would 2 Clare wins suite us ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,746 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Closer than today but was a similar story really. Limerick looked to have won it an let Galway back in for a flattering scoreline. Sounds great in hindsight but never felt like Galway were beating Limerick that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

I agree with the Robbie, I think the two goals put a bit of a blinker on Limericks dominance in this game. Limerick missed alot too and if they had converted some of their chances they be well out of sight. 30 scores to Limerick and 23 scores to Waterford (21 points and 2 goals) shoes exactly were Waterford are at. I honestly don't think Waterford are good enough to beat Limerick this year. Just from what I saw at this evenings game. Waterford are the best of the teams to beat Limerick and there is still a level of class between the two teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Just worry about ye trying to beat Cork and Clare, don't need favours from elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Feel ultimately it's a chance missed but that's not to say we deserved to win or even deserved a result. But we could have nicked one. If we had a Byrnes type taking long frees we would have won. Raising no white flags from about minute 50 onwards was disappointing, esp after second goal we needed to tag a few. Always seemed like limerick found it much easier to tag a few in quick succession. Seeing iarlaith Daly on crutches at half time was sad. The limerick players bring great intensity and so do the crowd tbf, could have done with more Waterford there but the crowd in section 120 made themselves heard.

Can't take anything for granted in Munster but have to take great belief from that game. Onwards

Was surprised to see Tom Barron in for iarlaith when he went off btw. Could be wrong bit think he saw no mins in the league semi final, final or cork game. Would have thought the natural change was cathrach on for iarlaith.

Am I right in saying Stephen Bennett has yet to score from play in this year's championship?

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭jimmythesulk

Would love to see waterford win the all ireland this year but after tonight I can't see it happening. Thought it was a very poor showing from waterford. Don't get all the happiness on here with only being beaten by 3 points. Limerick were more than 3 points superior if truth be told. Yere full back line is too weak to me. And some of yere forwards like kiely and Bennett are not producing the goods. I think waterford getting out of munster is certainly not a guarantee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

It’s hard not to feel deflated a bit coming back down the road from Limerick. It’s funny that before the game many people would have taken a 3 point defeat as a sign of progress but in the context of the game it wasn’t that great and we were a good bit off them truth be told.

my fear here is that while Limerick are really just getting started with some big names to come back whereas we have a fair bit of hurling played over the past 6 weeks and there’s a long road to come if we are to make it into the latter stages of the AI championship.

Focus people honestly if we win by 3 /4 points we still would be in a uphill battle to beat them in a knock out situation, we lose by 3 points whether a true reflection or not and now we might struggle to get out of Munster . Get a hold of yourself the break comes just at the right time for Waterford .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

We'll have to beat Cork at home, they're absolutely useless, if not we deserve to go out. Clare are a bit unknown and Cusack park is a tough place to go but i think we are better so should win by a few points. I think the trilogy with Limerick is on, no one else will put it up to them except ourselves. I thought we were exceptional in the first half today and could have been 5 or 6 up at half time, second half Limerick took over but i think we will fancy ourselves to have a crack at them later in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Long way to go in this Munster Championship yet. Cork and Clare are no 'gimmes' and that is for sure. Waterford need at least one more win..Its another loss to Limerick and that's the bottom line. Limerick will only get stronger as the season progresses. Of course they can be caught and injuries could scupper them but overall I'm not sure if Waterford are any closer. Gillane went to town tonight. Byrnes was unreal. Its always someone stepping up for Limerick

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭moby2101

Great game , credit to Waterford for for a cracker… Referee was a an absolute disgrace… no clue a complete clown 🤡

Waterford dropped the ball, no intensity

hard to see anyone capable of getting the better of this Limerick behemoth

.greatnesses beckons

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭JD. 60

I’ve seen worse refereeing ; he let the game flow by and large but didn’t have the courage to yellow card Hegarty in the first few minutes (a ‘home town’ decision) then showed him a yellow a while later for a lesser offence.

At least Waterford showed that the Limerick full back line is vulnerable. Plenty of goal scoring opportunities created and Dessie scoring 5 points (no wides) from limited possession. Getting the ball over their half back line is the challenge ; on to many occasions, Waterford carried the ball into a wall of Limerick players and simply coughed up possession.

The 3 week break is ideal, given that Waterford have done a fair bit of hurling in recent weeks. If results pan out, Cork & Tipp could be eliminated before our final game to Clare, assuming also that Waterford beat Cork. Not sure why but Tadgh has been uncharacteristically off beat in the last 2 matches but I’m sure it’s only a blip. Surprised that Shane Bennett wasn’t thrown into the fray last evening.

Advertisement