Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭decies

About 10 miles off Dunmore actually that might be squid .

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭supernova5

capacity of O Moore park is given as 22.000, to me it looked like there was 15 or 16 thousand at that minor final

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,827 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

The commentator mentioned 12,500 near the end of the game and it's on RTE aswell.

yea I know but official figures given are nearly always lower than the actual attendances

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Need to see these players fighting next week. Regardless of result in Cork v Tipp game. In 2019 we went down very tamely under Fanning even when there was still a small chance of qualification, the players gave up.

Cork showed on Sunday what fighting is about. If there was even the slightest chance they could still qualify they weren’t going to pass it up. Cork is too proud a hurling county for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

100% - we cannot change last Sundays result at this stage all we can do is give ourselves the best chance possible and prove beyond doubt that these lads have the quality to perform

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Teebor15

Since Sunday all I'm hearing here and in the media is that we need to go to Ennis and beat Clare, and hope that Tipp beat Cork. But am i correct in saying we only need to beat Clare if Tipp and Cork draw. If Tipp beat Cork then we can lose to Clare and still go through as long as the score difference between both games is not more than 14 points. Waterford, Cork and Tipp will all be on 2 points but we should have the best score difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Mulbert

Yes, we could both qualify or get knocked out with a win, loss or draw against Clare. But if cork win we are out.

its as simple as this,

Cork just need to win but any score and they are through, [regardless of everything else]

a Cork/Tipp draw and a Waterford loss puts Cork through

a Cork/Tipp draw and a Waterford win of any kind puts Waterford through

a Tipp win by 7 and a Clare win by 8 puts Tipp through

a Clare/Waterford draw and a Tipp win of any kind puts Waterford through

a Tipp win by 6 over Cork and a Clare win by 8 over Waterford leaves a dead heat between 3 teams [ -13 score difference]

then its decided on "highest total score for" followed by "highest total goals for" and or playoff

or toss of a coin or let all 3 teams go forward..

f**k this round robin lets go back to pre 2018 system

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭hurdles1

This team looked flat as a pancake on sunday for 2 reasons... over trained and too much emphasis on the league... several coaches from other sports have questioned their match day schedule... group meeting up at WIT arena at 9 o clock in morning for pre match work .. brekfast etc and throw in for match not until 1.30 .

Players from west waterford probably out of bed at 7 in the morning to get ready and be in waterford for 8 45. Long day from 7 o clock to 1.30 throw in. Surely an extra couple of hours lie in and meeting up at WIT at 11.30 woukd be better prep for the players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭skaface

Crazy stuff altogether.. Team certainly looked very flat on Sunday.. Big ask for them to lift it on Sunday..killer being it's not even in our hands anymore now to Qualify

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

An amazing record we have over last 5 seasons .... round robin group we have played 11, won 1, drawn 1 and lost 9 in years 2018, 2019 and 2022. In that time we have then contested Munster final, all Ireland final, another all Ireland semi final in 2020 and 2021 format and then won a league title earlier this year. It just makes no sense really how poorly we perform in the round robin group format. I don't put it all down to Walsh park pitch either, last Sunday was out first defeat there in 3 years

what time would the lads from Charleville or Newtown in North Cork have to be out of bed just to get to Cork city to meet the rest of the team?

sorry but it’s hardly an excuse if we were playing any of the other away venues that would have been the routine only sitting on the bus for an hour or 2 longer. It wasn’t an issue when we beat Tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Montys return

Kind of. We are two ahead of Cork on scoring difference so if we both lose, then we need to lose by either 2 or 3 more points on scoring difference than Cork do for them to overtake us.

Think it might come down to who's scored the most if we both end up on the same points difference, not quite sure. EDIT: I see that's confirmed above

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭JD. 60

For those who can’t be in Ennis, I see that RTE are showing both matches simultaneously (RTE 1 & 2).

• Registered Users Posts: 38,316 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The Tipp vs Cork match is almost a bigger game for us than our actual match

Mental to think a loss for us might end up been a better result

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

That makes no sense. A win for us and tipp and we’re through. A defeat and it’s down to points diff

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Punt Road

good summary Supernova

One possibility missing (I think) is two draws which would mean cork progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭SeanieW1977

Agree wholeheartedly unfortunately club deise has been infiltrated and taken over by county board stooges - all monies drained from it to run the inept board.

i was involved at its creation and it’s nothin like what it was or was meant to be. The lack of imagination you see in the offering is reflective of lads involved with it now.

we deserve so much better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Deiseen

You've raised an unbelievably important point about the young lads, terraces and the atmosphere they bring.

By having such a small capacity (this will include the upgrade with only 13,000) it means that groups of young lads will have a hard time coming by tickets for everyone in their group and we'll lose the good (and bad) that comes with that.

18,500 up in Ennis is a lovely number. Enough to easily sell out but also enough for everyone to get a ticket with relative ease and have a great atmosphere.

16,000 is the bare minimum they should be aiming for but the program made that expanded capacity seem very doubtful.

You'd despair being from Waterford sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

In his post, blueflame suggests that there were plenty of empty seats in the stand at Walsh Park on Sunday, and that there were lots of terrace tickets that were not taken up. As far as I am aware, the current allowed capacity of the ground is 11,000, and the reported attendance was over 10,900. That, to me, is as close to a full capacity as you will get. There were obviously big gaps on the so-called “terraces”, but there is a strict limit on the numbers allowed in these areas due to the absence of steps (at least on the north and east terraces) which makes large crowds potentially dangerous, especially on wet days.

Blueflame also states that Cork supporters seemed to populate the majority of seats in the stand. I was in the stand and that certainly was not the case. They were a small minority in the section of the stand where I was sitting. However, they certainly made their voices herd, spurred on by the heroics their team was performing out on the field. That said, I thought myself that the Waterford supporters gave plenty of vocal support for the team for much of the game, although they quietened down towards the end when it was clear that Waterford’s goose was cooked.

Blueflame correctly points to the need to widen the Walsh Park pitch. In fact, this is provided for in the redevelopment plans, details of which were included in the match programme. However, it doesn’t specify how much wider the pitch will be. I read recently that Walsh Park is only 80 metres wide, so ten extra metres would be required to match the width of most other county grounds. It has hard to see where they will find ten extra metres given the overall constraints on the size of the ground.

Blueflame recommends that the idea of putting seating on the northern side of the ground should be shelved, but I disagree with him on this, as we need to maximise the amount of seating to cater for the large numbers of women, children and older men who attend our games and for whom standing on terraces is neither comfortable nor, indeed, feasible. 

However, I do agree that the idea of installing seating behind the country goal is misjudged. This is envisaged as providing just 1,300 seats, which along with the 3,400 projected for the north stand and the 5,000 in the existing stand gives a total number of seats of 9,700. I don’t know what the expected capacity of the terrace at the town end is, but it can’t be more than three or four thousand, which would give a total capacity of less than 14,000 at best. This simply not good enough compared with other county grounds, where a capacity in excess of 20,000 is the norm. If they retained a standing terrace behind the country goal it could probably take 5,000, which would raise the total capacity to around 17,000.

Blueflame praises the covered north terrace in Ennis, but the cover is about the only good thing you can say about it. It is a very shallow terrace, with wide steps. This means that most people there are standing directly behind those in front of them, whereas in a steep terrace people would be standing above those in front of them. This makes viewing of games very difficult for people of low stature, including most women and children. This is apart from the general discomfort when this terrace is packed to capacity. As it is, most people are forced to stand on the terraces in Ennis due to the very limited capacity of the pathetic old stand there. The one good thing you can say about the Ennis ground is that it saves Walsh Park from having the status of being the worst county ground in Ireland.

Couldn’t disagree more

so by your logic it’s ok if we get through on the basis Tipp beat Cork yet we lose and play shite against Clare? If we are not good enough we are better off out

Sunday is about putting in a massive performance from our guys to right the wrongs of last Sunday and show we are a top team that will at least give us a base for next year. What will be will be in the other game we have to take our medicine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Not sure what is the more likely outcome - a Tipp win or a Waterford win. Either way, we need both to happen to get through. That's the frustrating thing for me, the fact that we're fully reliant on another result to go our way. If it were a one off game with our fate in our own hands, I'd actually give us half a chance. Last year as an example, we put in a fairly poor sluggish performance against Laois and scraped past them. A week later we went out and blew away Galway. In this years league we were average enough against Antrim, scraped past them and then blew away Tipp the following game. Could argue we were flat enough against KK (albeit with a bit of a changed side since we had qualified for the league SF by that point) and blew Wexford away a week later. So this team has shown it can follow up a poor/underwhelming performance with a good one. Unfortunately, it's not much use if Cork get a win.

From the above it's at least good from our perspective that Tipp have something to play for. A bit like ourselves, they simply have to win and hope Clare hammer us so they have no reason not to go for it. We just have to hope the flaky Cork side turn up and we keep our end of the bargain.

Clutching at straws really and just don't want to come to terms with our summer being over at 5.30pm on Sunday evening. Could maybe see one of the scenarios above happening (i.e. we beat Clare or Tipp beat Cork) but hard to see both happening simultaneously. Think we'll be spending many nights into the summer and winter agonisingly cursing last Sunday...

Whether we qualify or not i still hate this round robin provincial championships I mean it’s such an advantage being in Leinster in a round robin format . The Munster championship is practically a all ireland series in itself , the Munster sides killing each other resulting in two top teams gone before end of may . Limerick probably withstanding you then have less extended Leinster sides waiting in the wings to take advantage of any tiredness . Please go back to the old back door way ,just not playing 3 / 4 games in a row in all ireland series . Personally at some time I would be in favour of some sort of seeded open championship draw , imho anything is better then the current way .

If Tipp beat Cork and we lose to Clare leaving all 3 teams on 2 points, this munster round robin is a bit of joke to be honest.

No team has any business in the championship after losing more than 2 games regardless of the format.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭fuinneamh

The round robin is the best thing that's happened for lot's of different reasons. First the players are going from a minimum of 2 to a minimum of 4 games per season. I also think this is a plus for supporters.

Being in Leinster i think is a huge disadvantage; playing better teams makes you better. The competitive nature of Munster is raising standards so much, I think it is unlikely that a Leinster team will beat a Munster team All-Ireland series in the near future. As an example look at Cork and how they've evolved over the last 3-4 games, if they'd won all their games against weaker teams in Leinster, they'd never have changed their setup and would have been found out straight away in their first knock out.

Basically the round robin is **** for Waterford as we don't have our house in order and it will continue to be **** untill we get our house in order on and off the field. Being in Leinster or the old knock out series would only allow us to cover that up. Poor results will force us to change for the better.

Don’t agree with that at all but that’s ok . Another thing and that’s related to early all ireland it’s not good to have big hurling counties gone from championship by may . The GAA are competing with lots of other sports so we have a case of many fans yes not all well that’s it’s so finished with hurling till next year . That’s good for nobody . Regarding Leinster teams at a disadvantage at least the majority of the stronger ones will have days past may in the championship . We’ve being waiting since 1959 to change for the better .

• Advertisement

No idea how the results will go Sunday, nothing is a given in this crazy championship.

but one thing I hope at least Cahill sticks around to give it another year. His tenure can’t be defined on one shite performance you’ve got to look at the job he’s done as a whole with this team and there’s definetly more in them than we saw last Sunday

Advertisement