Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭MfMan

Waterford won the league, which is also a r.r. system, and by it's nature it is a 'safety net' system where one bad performance alone isn't costly. That would be more suited to Waterford I'd imagine. As an outsider it's hard to know what went wrong. Some may say the warning signs were there in the opening game against Tipp' but I wouldn't necessarily agree. Tipp' were bound to fly out of the traps and you have to allow for openers being a bit frantic and unstructured anyway. Similarly, no disgrace in losing away to a powerful Limerick team, where the towel wasn't thrown in, as evidenced by the 2 late goals. The Cork match knocked the stuffing out of ye. Even on their best days, Cork can look like a jigsaw where the pieces aren't put together correctly, but they do have a fair quota of skillful players and are streaky when they get on a roll. Waterford though suffered from poor shooting, from frees and play, particularly coming down the stretch when the game was still there to be salvaged. This plus the fact that the panel wasn't as deep as some would believe and a few of the first teamers aren't quite top-notch either. Yesterday was pure panic-stations and it's hard to believe the team couldn't raise some kind of battle against a weaker Clare side when it was a game that had to be won. Clearly something had gone wrong between the management and squad and it's difficult to see Cahill staying on. There is the sense of another reset after yesterday and a new manager won't have an envious task in the short term.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭caddy16

So lads that have put in the effort and sacrifice required to play intercounty aren't allowed go for a few pints after being knocked out of the championship.....would you stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

I did call it.. Performances in the league mean absolutely nothing if you cant cope when other teams up their game.

We're a bit like the Irish rugby team, peaking 2 years before the world cup while everyone else is concentrating on the championship, and then crash and burn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

Very annoying? Why? What do you want them to do? They’re young lads who have busted their balls all year. Give it a break ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭razorronan

Personally I would be very happy if Cahill and Bevans stayed on. It's their first "normal" season of training with the squad without huge Covid interruptions. We won some silverware (only our 4th ever league title.) this year and although the last 2 performances in particular were very poor, I do believe the team has progressed from when he took over. His comments about the team after games may have caused unrepairable damage with the squad, but I hope they can have a sit down talk through their problems and learn for next year.

As others have said Waterford teams have had meltdowns under nearly all our managers Davy Fitz (2008 AI, 2011 Munster) Derek (21 point loss to Tipp in 2016) Fanning (nearly all round robin games).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Can’t put into words how utterly dejected I am today. Just broken. I was only starting to come to terms with the Cork loss, I haven’t even begun to really process that unmitigated disaster that was yesterday. Few months worth of therapy there! As a Waterford fan we’ve come to experience days like this all too often. It’s like a penance we go through in payment for one or two good years.

Where to go from here I just don’t know. I refuse to believe that squad are as bad as the last 2 games might have made them look. I just have no idea what happened or changed. Lookit, we were unlikely to beat Limerick if we did get into an AI semi final or final but what happened over the last few weeks is just unacceptable. There’s more in this team and I’d be hopeful there will be better days ahead for the likes of Daly x2, Kiely, Lyons x2, Jack P, Dessie. What that looks like or when that will be I just don’t know. Shout out to Shaun O’Brien in goal, I don’t think he gets the credit he deserves as some of his shot stopping this and last year has been top drawer and the kind we used to see from SOK. Not his fault every puck out comes back over his bar so I’m glad to know we’ve a decent keeper.

Hard to know what Cahill will do now. If he does move on who could be in the running is also hard to say. Either way it’s going to be a long 8 or 9 months until we go again. Oh well, at least we have the timely distraction of the World Cup starting in a few wee-……nevermind

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭spideyman92

I wouldn't begrudge them a few pints. Don't think you'd see the lads from the other top teams posting up on social media having the craic if they were knocked out at this stage though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Ah give over its only a game. They’ve put their heart and soul into it their entitled to get out and let the hair down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Chin up Cake Man

Your one of the most genuine and knowledgeable posters on here. I judge from your timing you live down under same as myself, it can be a lonely Monday morning heading into work when the boys have been beaten in the early hours. I know it only too well over the years! But the good days when they come around are all the more sweeter, there will be better days ahead.

deise abú

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭shockframe

Cahill is sunk one way or another.

2008 was dire for Waterford but they were past it by then. 2022 was a team that ought to have been at its peak or close to it. It must feel worse than 2008.

His stock is still just about high enough for a Dublin but there is such an end of the rainbow feel about yesterday for Waterford that it looks nigh on impossible for him to remain.

Had Waterford lost to a Limerick in the semi final he would have credit in the bank but his comments last week have made his position untenable. He tried to save face a bit yesterday sharing blame but its really a damage limitation exercise. It wouldn't surprise me if an excuse of player power is already in the making as opposed to him abandoning ship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Personally, I think Cahill has been great for Waterford and assembled a very good diverse panel. He gave everyone a chance including lads who'd been on the fringes for years. He also improved players (e.g Curran) and has blooded and showed faith in new players (eg. Iarlaith, Kiely etc). I'd like to give him another year but first I'd like an explanation on what went on over the last few weeks and what his thinking was behind some of the positional switches yesterday. Still scratching my head over the Mahony/Hogan midfield selection and Aussie centre back moves. It's almost like he gave up and let someone else pick the team for the last game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,759 ✭✭✭lertsnim

It's a dose waiting now for the club's to get going. Big gap without games to go to.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭CornerForward10286

should be an alternative start date for clubs in county's who don't make it out of province

• Registered Users Posts: 38,317 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Yeah kind of defeats the purpose of this 'New calender'

Nobody died but it feels horrible today knowing our intercounty season is over

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

The problem would be that players have been told it will start later and have planned holidays etc around that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Did anyone think Low-han 'subbing' the goalie mid-way through the second half was rubbing salt in the wound? Or could it be considered 'over sensitive' to be reading into this...........?

Also I think we all should remember the following match which was less than two years ago.........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,870 ✭✭✭deisedude

I've been going to Waterford games since 1998 and that was probably up there with 08 as the worst performance I've ever seen from a Waterford team.

Clear as day to me standing on the terrace that they got the timing of their fitness plan this year badly wrong. They were overtrained.

Overhitting passes, first touch was horrific, incapable of catching a ball, easy wides when no Clare player marking, second to every ball, timing of runs all wrong but worst of all I really felt the effort wasnt there from some players and they gave up.

Demoralising

Utterly abject from waterford....near on as bad as when they downed tools vs limerick under fanning

Ive great respect for cahill/bevens,and what they has brought to waterford,in terms of workrate/effort,scoring effect and no bullshít, until last two games they werent flawless,but at least felt they emptied the tank....

how many lads walking off yesterday can honestly say they did that??

Too many lads not tracking runners,let 2 and 3 clare players run untracked for passes,and pop over handy points,would utterly sicken you....you couldnt imagine that limerick will give em freedom to run riot like that in munster final

After limerick match,while disappointed with failing to beat em and falling well short,felt we were in a great position with 3 weeks off before last 2 games,after so many hectic games in quick succession...

the finger of blame,must surely be questioned at training gone on(stick passing game fell apart too,did we manage a 5 hook/block altogether yesterday??),but also,if lads cant motivate emselves to put effort in to play senior intercounty,several of them should perhaps consider their futures,irregardless of whom.the manager is next year

Sidenote: Would love to see stephen molumpy to be involved at some level either u20 or senior with county here next year

start date in Tipp is July 24th. Still A long way away. could of given one alternative date.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Something like over 90% of players who took part in the survey from the Waterford county board last year said they wanted a certain start date, rather than to start a few weeks after Waterford exit the AIHC.

Players want & need certain start dates, as do coaches to allow them to train teams to peak. To change these at the drop of a hat would be catastrophic for club players & teams.

What you are asking for shows blatant disregard for all club players in the county who couldn’t plan a few weeks ahead if this alternative date was introduced.

Some people here really are clueless when it comes to the club scene.

• Advertisement

so u think the wait of 8/9 weeks to start the Club championship is acceptable? Im heavily involved at club level but I know numerous people also who hate the current system where IC is over before the summer practically begins

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Montys return

Seems pretty conclusive that not only is it acceptable, it's what the players want.

Gives inter county players a chance to have a break as well and dust themselves down instead being straight into being flogged again. I would imagine it will be much better for their own well being as much as the average club player.

fair point on club players who are playing IC but most club players are not. you will have to find games for them over the next 8/9 weeks. it's a separate issue on IC season but alot of the hierarchy, donal Og Daly etc are not a fan of it

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Montys return

I think the solution is building league competitions of integrity and meaning. County Board trying to do that much at least. Will take buy in from the clubs and time for it to work but it gives players plenty of games at a competitive standard for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Valid points being made in terms of club players and management being able to plan their season out, just crazy situation that there will be no hurling matches in the best months of the summer from end of May until end of July or start of August.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Any word on De Burca? Hopefully it was nothing serious.

in fairness with the round Robin, Club and IC had to be split. I don't see another way other then IC going first.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

It’s not perfect, I think everyone can agree on that. But as Monty mentioned, club players have had 4 league games already & the leagues are more competitive than previously. There is 1 round of league fixtures remaining before the finals are played & then clubs should have a month roughly to carry out their own preparation in terms of challenge games & trainings etc. The break from June 10th to July 24th without league games is possibly a bit long, but some clubs would also be unhappy at having league games any closer than 3 - 4 weeks before championship so it’s hard to get the balance right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

I'd love to see a few of the old club tournaments take place during that gap as preparation for club championship. They were before my time but I've heard from an older generation that these were huge occasions. Probably wishful thinking though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭thesultan

They are finished and we'll entitled to a few pints.

Advertisement