Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

I’ve been critical of him on a recent post but I actually wouldn’t be opposed to Derek McGrath coming back but with a proper management team this time. I think the team morale will be on the floor and he could be the man to lift it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,319 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

A new playing style too

surly can't bring Noel Connors and Maurice back into the fold ?

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

My own personal preference would be Brendan Cummins. He impressed me with how he set up a reasonable but not exceptional Tipp under 20 team this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭WJL

Colm Bonnar to Waterford. A swap.

He'd be preferable to Derek McGrath I'd think. Maybe Molumphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

If ye are considering another Tipp man, ye might consider Declan Laffan. He never played for Tipp. The Tipp county board always seem to overlook guys who never played county. But Laffan has led Loughmore to a county double in hurling and football. Brought Clough/Ballacolla to the Leinster final last year. They hadn’t won a game in Leinster until this year. They got hammered by Ballyhale. But he brought them to their first Leinster final. He has the Midas touch. Not a big name. But he delivers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Pudz2180

its sad that the Liam Cahill tenure has ended the way it has. Thanks to himself and Mickey bevans from bringing us from the low eb we were in when they took over to being competitive again. Hard to know where we go from here. There isn’t too many options out there. Maybe Eddie Brennan along with Stephen myloumphy and joxer o Conner. I think Derek McGrath had his time so don’t see the point in going back there (I can see it already dessie Hutchinson one of the best forwards in the country on his own in the full forward line chasing shadows)

does anyone know if Cahill actually wanted to leave or if some players did not want him back and that’s why he is gone? Tipp friends of mine have it that 3 brothers did not want him back and that they were going travelling next year if he was in charge. ( hope this is not true as I taught we were gone past this kind of shite)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

I don’t think I believe the narrative that players wanted Cahill to leave. I’ve seen and heard enough of him in training sessions over the last couple of years to think he’s the type of man that if you have a problem then you’re the one that suffers. I think if any players were vocal about him staying in the job then they simply wouldn’t be on the panel. He doesn’t strike me as a man that would run from a job because young fellas on the panel aren’t happy.

Cahill is a proud Tipp man and he wants to win an All Ireland with his own county, I’ve got no problem with that. It’s disappointing that we’re on the hunt again for a new man but that’s life, we move on and look forward to next year no matter who’s in charge. I’m surprised it took Cahill this long to go anyway. I thought after that utterly bizarre day in Ennis he would have been gone the following day. Good luck to him, I’m sure he’ll get an All Ireland at some stage, it’s just a pity it won’t be with Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Montys return

Lads, he's announcing two days after the Tipp job was made vacant that he's leaving and by all accounts due to be announced as new Tipp manager. Now, if it was really that he was going because players wanted him to then why would he be waiting until now instead of announcing he was gone before the Tipp decision was made? We're gone two months at this stage.

Turning down Tipp once was a shock and could have cost him his chance with them if they weren't in such a bad place at the moment. But turning it down a second time would unquestionably have been it.

Extremely doubtful but what about Paul Kinnerk as manager with Tony, Brick and Iggy as selectors

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

John Kiely might be looking for a job after tomorrow….!

on a more serious note who would be more realistic contenders…..

Outside County…

Mattie Kenny, Dalo, DJ Carey, Eddie Brennan, David Franks, Anthony Cunningham…?

within county/former players…..

James O’Conor, Peter Queally, Tony Brown, Stephen Frampton, Fergal Hartley, Sean power (U21 guy from 2016)…?

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Why does Eddie Brennan keep getting mentioned? What has he achieved other than beating a Dublin team without O Donnell and Keaney in a one off match at home, getting a Kilkenny under 21 team featuring a number of players playing tomorrow beaten by Westmeath and taking Cuala from an all Ireland winning club to one that can't make a Dublin county final?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Gluteus_Maximus

Brendan Cummins expressed interest before. As someone said he had that Tipp U20 team playing well this year. I like his commentary on tv he knows his stuff and he comes across as a decent fellow. Could he be a bit too nice of a lad to be dealing with rebellious players though?

The Tipp fourm is mad enough

Cahill gone from a villain for turning down the job last year to been a saviour again and it wasn't his fault about Waterfords collapse in the Championship

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Big congrats to the senior camoige team on beating Limerick 3-16-1-12 in the All Ireland QF

Now play Galway next Saturday in the semi finals in Croke Park

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

As a wildcard option I would like to nominate David herity..doing great work with kildare..from seeing him on various podcasts seems to have a serious passion and a scholar of the game

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Dammo

Whatever slim chance we had next year will have to be written off and whoever gets the gig should be given three years to win Munster or better. No point in twisting again in twelve months.

Obviously this puts pressure on the county board to get the appointment right. In fairness, they did well last time despite how it ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

For me realistically its a choice between 3. James O Connor(has proven himself at club level in recent times), Derek again(if he puts his hat in he will surely be a candidate) or as PTH calls it the Ballygunner management(Darragh O Sullivan is his name, no idea if he'd want it but has come across well anytime ive heard him). I dont see anyone outside the county that jumps out really, I suppose Liam Sheedy would never give up the RTE sofa, Davy hopefully will be gone to Dublin. Molumphey's done well with Kerry but it might be a bit too soon for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ovalu

Eoin Murphy has been very successful in cork club hurling, would be a big asset to a management team

this is very difficult one for the co board. I don’t know if there is enough time between now and November (when players are due back training) to find the right man. As in someone similar to Cahill in terms of style and philosophy on the game. Cahill has left us high and dry a bit here as I sense he was happy to stay put only for the Tipp vacancy has come up. And we’ve lost a valuable 2 months already in finding a successor when in reality he should’ve stepped aside after the Clare game.. The last thing we want is another Pauric fanning panic appointment and set the county back 3/4 years in one season.

I’d be torn on Derek McGrath but if the co board were sure on him I’d rather see them move sooner for the good of the team rather than another Fanning debacle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Cahill leaving Waterford was decided 2 weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Thats an interesting one. Is Flannery just giving his general opinion or is he just ''putting it out there'' on behalf of Browne letting people know that he is interested? I wouldnt be against this appointment and it could make sense given his recent involvement and his standing in Waterford hurling. I'd prefer to see a proper process with people interviewed as long as it dosent take forever.

So the county board were aware and have started working in the background on finding a suitable replacement ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Cake Man

I love Tony, Ken, Brick, Dan, Molumphy, Eoin Murphy, Frampton et al as much as anyone else here, hugely respect all of them but I wouldn’t want any of them as manager, with all due respect. Having any of them as part of the back room team not a problem, would welcome a few of our own and ex-players to be involved but not so much in the top hot seat. Need someone ideally with a decent level of success at managerial level in with a good coaching set up as they’ll need to compete with the likes of Kinnerk and Bevans.

As pointed out by others above, just want to get in someone soon if they have their minds set on someone which at least allows the set up to take in all of the county championship and run the rule over everyone. 2023 starts now, not in a few months time.

I really wouldn’t be sure about Browne. was a legend as a player and Flannery is obviously vouching for his club mate and friend but what are his credentials to actually take the job on? I’d be very surprised if he was in the running

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Dammo

My shortlist in reverse order:

#3. Keith Barry. Local lad, might provide the bit of magic needed to get us over the psychological barrier that seems to hold us back.

#2. HRH King Henry. Has had a year of inter county management to iron out some flaws. Less travel for him might make it attractive. Someone text him and say they heard Cody said he wouldn’t have the balls to take the Waterford job.

#1. PTH2009. We badly need someone to come in and lift the gloom around Waterford hurling at the moment. This guy’s natural optimism is exactly what’s required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Montys return

What had Eamon O'Shea and Michael Ryan of Tipp done in management before they were given the job?

I don't think Kinnerk or Bevans are a reason not to make someone manager given neither are managers, just highlights the fact that this is far from a one man gig and the whole setup is the important thing. Whoever gets the best ticket together should get it.

Advertisement