Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,272 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Cake Man wrote: »
    Great effort from the lads, just fell that bit short but plenty of positives to take away and build on. Even though I'm a bit disappointed to have lost, I'd much rather this feeling than one of the humiliation suffered after Limerick last year. When we nudged a point ahead around the 55th minute things looked to be going really well but fair play to Limerick they were just able to step it up a bit and find scores that bit easier in the last quarter that put them out of sight.

As a previous poster mentioned, it's also encouraging that we managed to do so well and get so close to arguably the best team in the country despite a few lads having quiet games. Aussie, Moran, Fagan, Barron had a few good moments but you wouldn't say they were hugely involved throughout. That's by no means a criticism, just making the point that if we can get a bit more out of a few more, we'll be right in the mix next Saturday.

Onwards to next weekend then, you'd have to say we'd rather get Clare than Tipp. Tadgh v Tony Kelly would be some battle and with Clare being out three weeks in a row may have some affect. In saying that, we'd have no fear of Tipp either. Would imagine if it's Clare it'll be Thurles again and if Tipp, it'll be PUC or Nowlan Park?

Yeah more than likely and if we draw Tipp it will 100% be the Saturday as there footballers are playing in the Munster final next Sunday.

God id love to see this Waterford team get a run out on the Croke Park pitch (something which is deff an advantage to the Leinster teams esp Kilkenny)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭slegs

From Limerick and thought Waterford were excellent today. Think ye will have a big shout yet this year. Cahill seems exactly what Waterford needed with the talented hurlers ye have down there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Great effort from the lads, just fell that bit short but plenty of positives to take away and build on. Even though I'm a bit disappointed to have lost, I'd much rather this feeling than one of the humiliation suffered after Limerick last year. When we nudged a point ahead around the 55th minute things looked to be going really well but fair play to Limerick they were just able to step it up a bit and find scores that bit easier in the last quarter that put them out of sight.

As a previous poster mentioned, it's also encouraging that we managed to do so well and get so close to arguably the best team in the country despite a few lads having quiet games. Aussie, Moran, Fagan, Barron had a few good moments but you wouldn't say they were hugely involved throughout. That's by no means a criticism, just making the point that if we can get a bit more out of a few more, we'll be right in the mix next Saturday.

Onwards to next weekend then, you'd have to say we'd rather get Clare than Tipp. Tadgh v Tony Kelly would be some battle and with Clare being out three weeks in a row may have some affect. In saying that, we'd have no fear of Tipp either. Would imagine if it's Clare it'll be Thurles again and if Tipp, it'll be PUC or Nowlan Park?

I’d say in a funny way Cahill would actually love a shot at Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Serious showing from ye today, showed Limerick no respect in the right way. Id fancy ye strongly to beat clare who are far to reliant on 1 man while i think ye and tipp would be a 50/50, id worry about the lack of proven firepower compared to them and would probably sway for tipp by a point or 2 but want to be wrong on that.

Rte are showing a quarter final at 1.30 next Saturday and sky the other after that presumably around 4 so that could dicate venues, obviously if ye are on the sky slot a floodlit venue is a cert, 3 games i believe in croke park next Saturday ( Christy ring and nicky rackard finals and Dublin meath in football) so that can be ruled out as a venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Anyone doubting Dessie Hutchinson today, needs to remember a couple of things.

1. He was playing only his second championship match today and was facing a whole new level of intensity. Even though he was a professional soccer player, he is probably 2 years behind where he would normally be for strength and conditioning for hurling it being such a physical sport

2. Limerick made it their business to target him for special attention, something he'll have to and will get used to

3. The quality of ball coming into him was poor, sot of it coming straight down his throat which allows defenders get a nudge on him at that vital moment or get the hurley in. Compare that with the angled ball being sent into the Limerick forward line.

4.Conditions most definitely did not suit him being very soft underfoot and the ball sticking all the time, allow marker to get tight and use physical advantage

So please, can we not do the usual thing here an write lads off before they have even a full campaign under their belt. This guy is pure class and has a great work ethic about him, Cahill will get the best pout of him,. and the same goes for Jack Fagan, don't be writing lads off after a couple of games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Clare it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Very much a 50/50 game. Come on Waterford!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Very much a 50/50 game. Come on Waterford!
    I think ye are better than them, biggest issue will be 6 day turnaround after such an energy sapping performance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Clare it is!

Very interesting that the big 3 that were most people’s favourites for the AI, Tipp Limerick and Galway are all pitted on other side of the draw.

Neither of ourselves Clare or KK will fear each other and will view it as a great chance to get into an AI final. If McInerney is back for Clare the next day he will be a big plus for them but I still feel if we can pick up from where we left off yesterday and not lose any key players we will take them.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

Rte says its an open draw for the semis so we could be against kk or limerick if we get through this one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭slegs

carq wrote: »
    Rte says its an open draw for the semis so we could be against kk or limerick if we get through this one

No if Waterford or Galway win they can’t meet the team they played in provincial final in the semi

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Open draw if Clare and Tipp win, if you win you get KK as you can't play Limerick again until the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

That's only if Clare and Tipp both win.

slegs wrote: »
    No if Waterford or Galway win they can’t meet the team they played in provincial final in the semi

My fault
    Didnt read the below properly!

GAA president John Horan confirmed that a further draw will be made to decide the semi-final pairings should Clare and Tipperary win their quarter-finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Gardner

10am and Giveitafong still hasn't posted how man times he has pressed play/pause.

i see Blueflames bitterness towards Derek McGrath is still there. never give up boy! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

Gardner wrote: »
    10am and Giveitafong still hasn't posted how man times he has pressed play/pause.

i see Blueflames bitterness towards Derek McGrath is still there. never give up boy! :)

10am on a Monday and you're on here whingeing already. What a sad little life you must lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Clare in Thurles hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Ian OB

deise08 wrote: »
    Clare in Thurles hopefully.

Neutral venues I believe, so it looks like Thurles for us & Clare, and Limerick for the other 2

Have to say I was impressed by Calum Lyons and Jack prendergast yesterday.
    Good to see new player step up and really add to the team and Jack P seems to be a handful for his marker, good option for direct ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 JD 60

If Conor Gleeson is fit, I assume he will be detailed to mark Kelly. The latter scored some amazing points on Saturday, off left and right sides.

Clare will be happy enough to avoid Galway.

Would be good to put one over on Lohan .... revenge for '98 !

• Advertisement

Have to say I was impressed by Calum Lyons and Jack prendergast yesterday.
    Good to see new player step up and really add to the team and Jack P seems to be a handful for his marker, good option for direct ball.

Lyons was not as prominent as against Cork but not surprising given yesterday's opposition. Prendergast really tore into it in the 2nd half.

Forgot to mention Prunty in my comment last night ; he too played a stormer (against one of the best full forwards in the country).

Wouldn't be surprised to see Curran start the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waternut

JD 60 wrote: »
    If Conor Gleeson is fit, I assume he will be detailed to mark Kelly. The latter scored some amazing points on Saturday, off left and right sides.

Clare will be happy enough to avoid Galway.

Would be good to put one over on Lohan .... revenge for '98 !

I doubt Conor Gleeson will start. He seems to have fallen down the order over the last year or so and it was interesting that Ian Kenny was the go to man when Fives came off yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Gardner

Ropaire wrote: »
    10am on a Monday and you're on here whingeing already. What a sad little life you must lead.

what am I whingeing about? I'm just pointing out one obsessed poster against DMG and another lad who presses play/pause and counts possessions but forgets about everything else.

As regards to yesterday, it's an improvement but even LC suggested by his body language in the post match interview he wasn't happy and knows nothing is to be taken for granted vs Clare.
    Clare will be a difficult game. A totally different setup/style to what we have faced to date. The Tony Kelly factor is crucial. Do we go with a man marker and rely on the other 14 or we simply play to our strengths. Clare will come with the war paint on.
    This wont be as easy as some people think. This is a team we haven't beaten in the championship since 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Waternut wrote: »
    I doubt Conor Gleeson will start. He seems to have fallen down the order over the last year or so and it was interesting that Ian Kenny was the go to man when Fives came off yesterday.

Conor Gleeson is only back from injury.

Conor Gleeson is only back from injury.

Fair enough but he was named on the bench yesterday.

PUC it is @ 3.45

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭upthedeise16

Waternut wrote: »

His injuries and particularly their timing have been a killer for him. If you remember last year, he got injured for the club and missed the training building up to championship and the opening championship game against Clare and was then parachuted into face Tipp where he was sent off after being cleaned by Callanan and then Bubbles before fouling Bonnar beating down on goal.
    This year is similar, injured for the club, misses all the buildup to championship and the opening championship match but Cahill didn’t just throw him into the team on reputation. I’m sure he has to prove his fitness and form in training. Very hard to impress when it’s now week on week so I’d agree that it’s unlikely that he will start next Sunday even though, if fit and on form, he could be the best man marker for Kelly.
    Ian Kenny has been excellent for Ballygunner for a few years, I was delighted to see him get game time yesterday even if he did slip when he was was marking Breen for his score. He’s possibly in the box seat to start in the corner next weekend if Fives isn’t fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Not at all obsessed by DMG - merely expressing a personal view of the attributes of current management. Mind you obsession is a two sided coin with some people obsessed by the constant need to defend their view of others.

To return to the present, any draw at this stage is going to be a tough one, and most games herein will be likely to be determined by fine margins. If out Shane Fives will be a loss with the way he has been playing but at least we have Conor Gleeson, Iarlaith Daly and Ian Kenny as backup. I believe we have a real chance going it this game and glad to hear all the talk is about Tony Kelly but the likes of Shane O'Donnell has been a thorn in our side previously also. We have quite a few players of our own that can deliver much more than they did yesterday including Aussie, Jack Fagan and Desie Hutchinson. Special word of mention for jack Prender - had been struggling for form earlier in the year but his second half showings against Cork and particularly yesterday were very impressive. Also Montgomery, Curran and Lyons impressed from the bench, so looking forward with optimism to next Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,866 ✭✭✭deisedude

It will be interesting how Cahill setups the team to stop Tony Kelly

I don't think he is going to change the approach to designate a man marker to sacrifice their game and just stop Kelly

I think he will stick with the plan to outwork the opposition and be aggressive and in their face and that should minimise the supply of ball he gets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

really good performance yesterday, showed great determination, intensity and will to win. everyone gave 100% and still more to come from some players which is encouraging in itself. one area of concern for me would be the inability to win puck outs but I'm sure they will work on that.

clare Will be a tough game, they showed their desire and talent in abundance in Saturday. stopping Kelly will be key but we have the players and management to beat them.

Advertisement