Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

This must be the worst ever format for a championship. No game in the group stage matters as you can lose them all and still win the next one to make a quarter final. And that's led to almost all games being uncompetitive.

A lot of talk in Walsh park that we will have an announcement about the new manager after the camogie tomorrow so we will. Though that could be just talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Any news on the announcement ?

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

It’s going to be Davy Fitz and if it is it’s a very sad inditement of Waterford as a hurling county. A pure charlatan of a manager so he is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭decies

Clock is ticking

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I nearly got a heart attack seeing his picture, thought it was an announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

It's official..

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Mount Sion way too strong for Tallow today. Austin went off inured very early too.

Dungarvan v Clonea was a much better game and a draw was a fair result even if Dungarvan blew a late chance to win it when Curran missed a free between the posts. Clonea went 5 points up and coasting until 7 minutes of injury time was announced and their full back got sent off, so will be kicking themselves.

• Advertisement

Guessing it's all horse shite about an announcement then

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭conor05

Davy to be ratified this week according to someone close to the camp.

A very very interesting back room if all is to believed.

Interesting and a huge surprise tbh

Who would of gussed he would return here (if its true)

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Ian OB

Looks like I'm following the Kerry or Offaly hurlers next year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Damien tiernan had reported that a decision had been made and announcement would be made after the camogie championship was over. That’s led us to beleive it must be Davy Fitz as who else is relevant to camogie.

Poor PTH waiting around for an announcement at 5.30 after the camogie all Ireland final I don’t think it would be that quick

I for one am very surprised if this is the decision. However were all second guessing here so let’s wait and see

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭supernova5

Mr. small fry has vacated Leeside, judging by what has happened in the managerial scene this past few weeks is it imminent that the prodigal son is about to return

Waterford , Be afraid, be very afraid..

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Fergal Hartley and Davy. Jesus it’s a poor lookout on the county that Fitzgerald is coming back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭waterfordgirl

Ah jesus, it feels things are going from bad to worse

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭runjb

Announcement still pending. Many rumours flying around with Davy's name in the mix in a lot of them (as manager / as coach / as a selector). If it is true and Davy is back, I think there are a lot of positives to focus on. When he was with Waterford before, it was his very first intercounty managerial post, he took Waterford to first AI in 45 years and won a Munster title. I'd argue if he was there earlier, they might have got to an AI sooner. Since then, I'm sure he has learned a lot - his stints with Clare and Wexford have been positive. He brings an energy to the position and has a track record of getting the best out of teams. The back room team will be important.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭deisedude

Not sure what to make of it if it is the return of Davy.

Positives:

• Seems to get a good bounce the first year or second year with his teams (Team getting older, cant afford to rebuild slowly)
    • Experienced at inter-county level (many of the alternatives aren't)
    • Players seem to love him

Negatives:

• The circus and attention his sideline behaviour brings with him
    • All his teams seem to regress badly from year 3 on
    • Negative style of hurling (although if it wins us an All Ireland I won't care!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Suppose another positive (at least for those who felt it necessary) would be him being from outside the county so no accusations of club allegiances or favouritism towards certain players.

So another guy from the interview panel becomes part of the management team

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Dammo

PETS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

If it is Davy Fitz it can only go two ways. We win the All Ireland next year or the players don’t want him and they either walk away or down tools like in 2019.

People complain about negative hurling his teams play. There was nothing negative about Clare in 2013 and nothing negative about Wexford a couple of years ago. He had success with both counties and had Wexford gotten a small bit of luck against Tipperary, he could have had them in an All Ireland final in 2019. They were unlucky that day and look what Tipp did to Kilkenny in the final.

The negatives around Fitzgerald aren’t necessarily to do with what goes on on the pitch. It’s the sideshows off it that are the problem. Now, if he does come in he’s starting with a clean slate in terms of personnel on the panel. I think Paudi Mahony the only one left from his first stint? Fitness won’t be an issue with any team he takes over, he’ll command respect from players and will do it in a different (and better in my opinion) manner than say Derek McGrath. The financial side of things, I wonder how much of that got blown out of proportion first time around? We all know the county board are not exactly fit for purpose and I wonder did the rumours of Fitzgerald almost bankrupting Waterford hurling come from the county board in an attempt to lay the blame on someone else for their own shortcomings and ineptitude?

A huge positive for me with Fitzgerald is he backs his players, he doesn’t hang them. He instilled a “them against us” attitude with Clare and he did it with Wexford as well. For me, if he brings that in again then it’s a good thing. He’ll back his players and he’ll back himself. Do I want him back? Not necessarily no, is there any alternative? There doesn’t seem to be. If Fitzgerald does come in then everyone just needs to get on with it. We have a talented group of players, we all know that, and the job might just suit him. The worry is what happens in 12 months if things don’t work out?

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

I can't believe I'm saying this but I'd rather Davy to Derek. We know he'll bring energy and it'll be a very different Davy to the one we had in 2008. He's now a very experienced manager. We could probably do worse over a two year term in fairness. You'd worry about the media circus but feck that, what happens on the field is all that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Tipp went down to 14 men early in the second half. Straight away, Rory and Jack O’Connor pointed. Then Lee Chin raced through and got a goal that should have been saved. 20 mins left. In searing heat. A nice little lead. Tipp down to 14. A dream scenario?

Should a manager manage a win from there? A few tactical switches to make them impossible to break down - organised and drilled before and during the championship, tbf. If this happens, we do this.

Then Tipp got five points unanswered. Callanan, Forde (2), John O’Dwyer and Ger Browne (yeah, even though Sheedy never played the young guys 😅) Then we all know what happened. And a couple of under 20 players sealed the win - Kehoe & Morris (even though Sheedy never played the young guys 🤣) + a 21-year-old Willie Connors came on and got a point.

If Davy is given the job, I hope he was asked just how much time he has to give the job and how many other jobs he has. I think one of Davy's biggest problems is how thin he spreads himself. I'm not saying he is not a committed manager. He is. But he loves to be busy. And winning an all-ireland takes the type of focus/energy that means major time away from family/business.

Davy is very smart and accomplished. And I know he likes to manipulate the media with this media image he has built up that takes focus off his players/team and on him. But I don't think he is as in control of that image as he thinks he is and the knock-on effects. I think it wears people out after a few years.

I also don't see how Davy's running-game tactics can get goals against Limerick. His forwards tend to be very isolated/tired as the game goes on. Same with Cahill to an extent. However, Cahill is more forward orientated and his players don't start their runs from as deep. You need a massive squad for that type of game. Massive. Because to play that type of game, you need stamina beyond belief and that puts players at risk to injury. Constant movement and constantly into contact. Do Waterford have the numbers? To make a team gel into that type of game takes three years at least, imo. But Waterford have already had a few years at it... and maybe that appeals to Davy. If he can become a more forward orientated manager, then maybe he can take Waterford to the ultimate. Big questions there, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

It was Paul Kinnerk, as coach, and not Davy Fitzgerald, as manager, who won Clare the All-Ireland in 2013. Despite all the gifted players he had at his disposal, Davy didn't achieve much with Clare after Kinnerk left. Wexford were not unlucky against Tipperary in the 2019 All-Ireland semi-final. With the game in their hands, in the final quarter they abandoned the running game, which had got them into that position, and instead started hitting long balls into the Tipperary full back line (despite having an extra man). This played into Tipp's hands, as they cleverly worked the ball out to Noel McGrath who, with all the time in the world, sent excellent ball into the forwards to get the winning scores. Not much sign of good game management on Davy's part there.

As for Davy being smart, it certainly was not smart getting the Waterford players to try to rough up Kilkenny before the start of the 2008 All-Ireland final. And his team selection and tactics for the 2010 All-Ireland semi-final against Tipperary were absolutely clueless. And I'm only getting started here...

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Blaboy

Davys record in charge of us for 4 years 2008 - 2011

1 All Ireland final appearance

3 Munster final appearances winning one (Justin was there for start of 2008 season)

4 All Ireland semi finals

Superb record in 4 years better than any other manager we have had. I for one can't get over the negativity regarding Davy if he is named as new County Bainisteor. I know there was strong rumours and stories during his duration with us that he broke the County Board and so on, but like a gentleman said to me at a match over the weekend "Thats what the money is there for and believe me every County Board have plenty if it!" Davy had GPS tracker systems fitted in the back of the players jerseys when he was charge when nobody else had and no every County team has them. He was doing stuff before he's time if you ask me so more credit to him if ge does get the role.

I know people say that you'll only get 2 good years out of Davy but if you want to call a spade a spade that's all thats left in this crop of players if we have any illusions of winning an All Ireland

RANT OVER

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Pretty sure, it was the players themselves who played the biggest part in winning the all-ireland in 2013.

Far too simplistic a take on what happened in the semi in 2019. It's like only Wexford were making decisions. Noel McGrath was brilliant, but he wasn't the only one taking the game by the scruff. Wexford didn't take about two to three good goal chances in the first half hour of the game when they owned the ball. That had a huge bearing on the game also. They ran Tipp ragged in that opening half. But Tipp figured it out then.

Davy has had multiple TV shows and won at least one major trophy with every inter county side he has managed. Let's not pretend or question if the man is not smart. If it was easy, everyone would be doing it. Sure, appointing Kinnerk is a smart appointment, no?

The man has an unbearable tendency to hold grudges and is far from perfect. Who is? But he is smart.

Advertisement