Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Should they use that money to try and get Kinnerk?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

You can pick holes in games lost by any manager we’ve had in the last 20 years. For instance, McGrath blew the drawn All Ireland semi final in 2016 for us.

In 2008 Fitzgerald had only finished up playing and was jettisoned in to try and save the summer. We lucked out with the run to the All Ireland final and neither he or the players knew how to handle it. What happened in that game was wrong but he was new to management and tried something that didn’t work. He admitted it was a mistake afterwards so fair enough. 2010 against Tipp again he tried something that if it worked he was a genius and if it didn’t it was disastrous. O’Halloran got shafted there and got the line after 20 minutes. That shouldn’t have happened but he Fitzgerald did it with Shane O’Donnell 3 years later and look how that turned out. Granted O’Donnell had more experience than O’Halloran.

RE: 2019 All Ireland semi final. He lost the head trying to get the players to go back to their tactics. The last 15 or 20 minutes of an All Ireland semi final was unchartered territory for those players and they panicked. What can Fitzgerald do there? I was sitting no more than 20 yards from the Wexford management so I know exactly what transpired. Blaming him for that is nonsense, the players **** themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Blaboy

He's not going anywhere! Why would you want to leave a team that has won 4 out of the last 5 All Irelands 😉🤷🤔🤷

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Blaboy

He's not going anywhere! Why would you want to leave a team that has won 4 out of the last 5 All Irelands 😉🤷🤔🤷

To be the main man? The ambition of winning someone's first in a long, long time... new players, new team, new challenge... a lot of reasons...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭decies

This is the standard of fundraising we need to attain !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭914

That article is just like reading boards. Basically WLR like the rest of us doesn't have a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Top prize in Déise Draw is €10,000. Top prize there is €15,000 for every month bar one, just with the option of taking a similarly valued car as an alternative. I wouldn’t consider that too far ahead of our fundraising efforts at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭supernova5

Fitz has already committed to be manager of 0' Callaghan Mills and even has joined forces with Clare Senior Camogie Joint Manager Conor Dolan [a man he had a run -in with during the Senior Camogie game between Cork and Clare at beginning of year]

I'm aware. That will do him for the second half of the split season.

Didn't Davy regularly double job with Sixmilebridge and Wexford. And I'm sure before that too. Didn't he manage Nenagh and Waterford (or maybe it was Clare) for a short while too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭supernova5

for a man with a dodgy ticker, biting off more than one can chew comes to mind...

anyway I think the Dublin job is made for him, a big strong athletic hurling team who are already defensive minded, the Capital of Ireland and besides he is almost a resident of Donnybrook as it is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Fitz only had one good year with Wexford during his five year reign as Wexford manager and even when they won the Leinster title in 2019, in the round robin, they only defeated Carlow. DF is a bluffer and despite what the likes of DF indulgers John Fogarty, Donal Og Cusack, Vincent Hogan and Paudie McMahon a controversial Clare journalist might like us to know and think otherwise, there's plenty of evidence to suggest that Davy is a money making machine and nothing else. I have a lot of time for Waterford supporters, but I fear this could be a Pauric Fanning moment similar to 2019 for ye.

Give us more information so of when the next draw starts and how many cars you raffling ? 11 cars ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

DF is all that you say above but you forgot one thing…..his ego is up there with ‘da Donalds’….😀 would have serious reservations about his return…..apart from his hurling interests he is also heavily involved with Tv programs ( irelands ‘sh1test family’ )….I’m sure he will have interviewed well and will have had all the right answers for the panel but he just has too many ‘extra curricular’ activities on his plate

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Maybe DF coming in a some sort of 'coaching role' with someone local 'the real manager'

Anyways hope we get an announcement soon one way or the other. Other counties who announced departures before us sorted already and looking towards 2023

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Montys return

Ah cmon, Davy is short enough. Less of this "DF" craic

I’m not his biggest fan at all, but calling him a bluffer is total nonsense. He’s had success in his three stints as a manager in senior hurling and like him or loathe him that has to be acknowledged.

Someone above also gave him no credit for Clare’s All Ireland win in 2013 and instead gave it to Paul Kinnerk. Does this mean that John Kiely shouldn’t get the credit for the 4 All Ireland’s with Limerick then? Kinnerk is responsible for those 4 wins also is he?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Don’t know where I stand with this Davy rumour.

Part of me thinks he could be the man to come up with a plan to take down this Limerick side and finally get us over the line. But we don’t know the thought process of the selection committee. If your looking to try and get instant success he’s as good an option as any really. On the flip side he will have no interest in the long term welfare of Waterford hurling and he could leave the county like he did before with a big rebuilding job required and in a massive financial hole (not saying was his fault but co board mismanaged by giving him everything he demanded without have a plan to cover the debt)

the big question is who would fund this. We know he doesn’t come cheap.

I’ll just leave this one off seen as you can’t:

1. Quote my post that you are replying to.
    2. Bother to research the Déise Draw yourself.
    3. For some reason you think I myself am raffling off cars.

• Advertisement

I don’t get this thing of someone coming in to help us get past Limerick. We were way off the pace this year and only beat a poor Tipperary team. Getting Waterford into a position to challenge for a Munster or All Ireland, let alone win one, is a bigger job than any of us probably thought

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭skaface

Hopefully we'll have an announcement later today one way or another

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Montys return

Fitzgerald's record with Waterford was not better than Justin McCarthys, have to correct that.

I was as delighted as anyone when he went. He lost the dressing room after the tactical calamity that was Munster Final 2011, where Eoin McGrath ended up on Paudie Maher, Brick ended up corner back on John O Brien, Jerome Maher was on hurler of the year Lar Corbett on his debut and our smallest back Noel Connors was isolated at full back against Tipps greatest ever hurler.

But since then hes improved as manager. He left Clare with similar ill feeling from the Clare fanbase, they did nosedive after 2013. Not sure if that's all down to him or Kinnerks departure, it might be that some of those players hunger was blunted after winning so much. Tipp didn't win an All Ireland for 6 years after 2010, despite I think 7 players playing in both u21 and Senior finals in 2010. And I think they were considerably better than Clare all in all.

Wexfords record against Kilkenny compared to his predecessors though is certainly a big mark in his favour, they used to be beaten before they took the field for 10+ years before that. I think they ran out of steam in 2019, but they gave Tipp a fair rattle all the same.

Last year they were very unlucky in normal time both when a Lee Chin shot hit the post and Kilkenny pointed at the other end in the same play, and then when Fanning's long delivery was batted down by Murphy. It ended up in the Kilkenny net only for Hawkeye to give a point and the game to go to extra time. Inches decided that game, if they'd prevailed they'd have had a second Leinster I'm sure and an opportunity of an all Ireland final appearance if beating Cork. Ifs and buts, but such are the margins.

Overall, I think Molumphy should be given the job. There's no baggage, he has some experience and he's a born leader that commands respect. Fitzgerald is the best outside option ahead of Brennan or Fennelly. I have doubted the realism of any other names touted to be honest.

If Fitzgerald gets it though, I'd personally give him a blank slate to be judged on this tenure and forget about the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

I see that the former coach of the Cork camogie team, Paudie Murray, has been very critical of the team’s set-up this year under Davy Fitzgerald. He attributes their failure to score in the first 20 minutes of both the semi-final and the final to the fact that they employed a sweeper which he felt was unnecessary, given the players available. In both games they improved dramatically when they abandoned the sweeper. Murray was particularly critical of this obvious failure to learn from one game to the next.

Playing a sweeper has been an article of faith for Davy Fitzgerald – a classic case of imposing a system rather than devising a system suited to the players available. On that note I am puzzled myself that, in all the speculation about Liam Cahill’s replacement, there has been very little focus on a coaching team on our own doorstep which has produced the strongest club side in the country.

Watching Ballygunner last Sunday, and regardless of how poor De La Salle were, you could see the combination of skill, organisation and work rate which is all that you would want in a coaching setup. Even though they were winning easily, right to the end Ballygunner were working hard to gain possession, or to dispossess the opposition when they had possession. And when they had the ball, Ballygunner refused to ever hit it blindly, but moved it around patiently until someone got into position to deliver a killer ball to the forwards. I was particularly struck by the way they repeatedly got the ball to Dessie Hutchinson in situations where he could do maximum damage.

It seems to me that Ballygunner are getting ever stronger. They have Paddy Leavy running the show in midfield, while the two younger Mahonys are developing into really fine forwards. And that is before you factor in Patrick Fitzgerald who, as we know, has enormous potential.

There is talk about David Franks going back to Offaly as coach. To my mind, the selection committee should be moving heaven and earth to get him involved in the Waterford setup.

That’s just a smart ass answer and I will leave it at that so . Hopefully that I have quoted you makes it all better . To sum up am saying we should be doing a lot better and need to be doing more so . Club Deise even dropped their famous car sticker hardly a enticement . And before you say it bought tickets for Waterford GAA draw and always supported club deise .

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

In 5 championship games at senior and intermediate this year Ballygunner have only conceded a total of 2-34. Incredible stuff really

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭skaface

Spot on , Ballygunner not a big sized team, but have adopted a style that suits them.. Franks would be a massive addiction to the set up

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

100% in agreement that David Franks poetntially has a lot to offer as coach and would certainly be one of my picks for Management team ( if he is leaving Ballygunner).

One thing i will say however is that Ballygunner have been extremely successful in getting their entire club to buy into their structures. they play an almost identical game all they way up through the ranks so that newcomers to the "Senior set up" are already conditioned and ingrained into how to play to their game plan. Getting this structure into the Waterford set up would require a whole new approach from our County Board and cooperation with underage structures, and unfortunately i do not see this happening anytime soon.

I equally don't buy into the panic of "a now or never approach " for our current senior panel - it is not as if they are all going to retire in two years, and as "GiveitFong" highlighted you have the likes of Paddy Leavy, the two Mahony's, Patrick FitzGerald, Mark Fitzgerald, Rory Furlong, and Gavin Fives - these are all fine hurlers just to name a few and i am sure there are are plenty more out there - add in to the two Daly's and we have the nucleus of a good very young side who can continue not just for two years but for that and beyond - the next manager has plenty to work with including time - but now more than ever we need to get our structures right from top to bottom

I can’t speak for the final but Cork certainly didn’t improve upon abandoning the sweeper system against Waterford. They improved by putting a better player in as sweeper, in Aisling Thompson.

Personally I thought Paudie Murray came across very poorly in his analysis of Cork on the Sunday Game.

• Advertisement

I don’t disagree that we can do better & the House Draw is hopefully the first step in this process. The Deise Draw is definitely in need of a revamp. What I was getting at was more so that this Tipperary Draw isn’t all that much better than the Deise Draw. When it is revamped we should be aiming higher. The Cork Rebel Bounty Draw would be of interest, although they are a much larger county which probably helps.

Advertisement