Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭conor05

deisedude wrote: »
    It will be interesting how Cahill setups the team to stop Tony Kelly

I don't think he is going to change the approach to designate a man marker to sacrifice their game and just stop Kelly

I think he will stick with the plan to outwork the opposition and be aggressive and in their face and that should minimise the supply of ball he gets

You would need some sort of plan for him though.

He has knocked out Laois and Wexford by himself and scored 0-17 against Limerick.

I understand what you are saying about not changing the approach but I think a man could have to sacrifice his own game to do a job on Kelly with the form he is in.

There is no other player in the country on par with Kelly at the minute scoring wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,384 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Happy to be facing Clare but there still a very dangerous team esp with Tony Kelly who is in the form of his life. PUC is an interesting venue and it's a place where we don't win so often

Roll on Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Void Ceremony

Lads who was doing the roaring at Davy? and any idea what was said

Surprised that Lohan would have sent someone to the stand to engage in this nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭seananigans

Surprised that Lohan would have sent someone to the stand to engage in this nonsense.

Davy the victim, boy who cried wolf, i wouldnt be listening to him anymore .

he only the small fish so he is ,the world is out to get him so it is

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭whiteandblue

Davy the victim, boy who cried wolf, i wouldnt be listening to him anymore .

he only the small fish so he is ,the world is out to get him so it is

Everyone should remember him abusing and then shouting in at Mullane who he claimed to be a friend, "I've got 2 All-Ireland's and you've got f***all". Thankfully Mullane had the last laugh that day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTLGghhcHzg

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Void Ceremony

But in fairness Mullane and Kelly threw ****e at him that day before that comment. Hardly angels the lot...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

If you believe that nonsense you believe anything

Classic Davy trying to deflect from the ****-show of performance on the field. Instead of accepting responsibility for failure he’s playing the victim

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

If you believe that nonsense you believe anything

Classic Davy trying to deflect from the ****-show of performance on the field. Instead of accepting responsibility for failure he’s playing the victim

True, the narrative is now how Davy was abused on the sideline as opposed to how poor Wexford were this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

What tv channels are the 1/4 finals being shown on.....? Is it like previous weekends.....1 on gaa beo and other one on sky minx....???

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭skaface

Asdfgh2020 wrote: »
    What tv channels are the 1/4 finals being shown on.....? Is it like previous weekends.....1 on gaa beo and other one on sky minx....???

Galway vTipp on RTÉ 2 @1.15
    Waterford v Clare on Sky Sports Mix @3.45

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭deisedude

Davy hearing the voices in his own head again

Someone abusing him in an empty stadium. Pull the other one Davy. They were well beat because he trained them into the ****ing ground

When the group stage comes back next season will we have the squad numbers to give it a right go ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

PTH2009 wrote: »
    When the group stage comes back next season will we have the squad numbers to give it a right go ?

Why are you even thinking of next season at this stage?

Cake Man wrote: »
    Why are you even thinking of next season at this stage?

Just a passing thought

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Just a passing thought

You really don't have to post them all though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Hopeful for Saturday, the buzz is back. Good showing last Sunday, only lost out in then ridiculous rucks when the sliotar is on the ground, and 6 or 7 players hacking at it. Limerick came away with most of the ball, and scored 2 or 3 points from these rucks, in open play, Waterford were good, but I think you either shoot from distance, or get fast low ball into the forward line, too many of them were short, and handy for Nicky Quaid, or the half back line. As we have seen this year, goalscoring is difficult, so over playing the ball trying to work goals may not be the best strategy, overall though Waterford did well, and nice to see a competitive performance after the previous two seasons, which were a real struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭deisedude

As we have seen this year, goalscoring is difficult, so over playing the ball trying to work goals may not be the best strategy, overall though Waterford did well, and nice to see a competitive performance after the previous two seasons, which were a real struggle.

On that point our forwards probably showed their inexperience towards the end going for goals and should have kept chipping away points.

Mightn't have affected the result but definitely left some handy points behind going for goals

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭spideyman92

People keep saying that goals are hard to come by this year but from what I can tell, the Munster Final was the first game in the championship that hasn't had a goal?

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭upthedeise16

deisedude wrote: »
    On that point our forwards probably showed their inexperience towards the end going for goals and should have kept chipping away points.

Mightn't have affected the result but definitely left some handy points behind going for goals

Maybe you’re on about beforehand but I think definitely Bennett was right to go for goal with the the late 21 yard free despite what Duignan thought commentating. Also, they were very unlucky for the late chance that Finn managed to intercept. The team needed a goal and they had to go for it I felt. They went down going for the win fighting rather than accepting defeat by a lower score.
    I’m of the opinion that Cahill doesn’t do morale victory and will think nothing of the claps on the back Waterford are getting this week. I think the reaction of the players at the end, who fell to their knees in disappointment showed their attitude, they expected to win and that’s what Cahill brings.
    Getting to Munster finals and being competitive isn’t good enough for this setup and because of that, I think there will be a reaction from our players who didn’t play to their potential last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Have to agree wholeheartedly with those sentiments. Felt that the team were not satisfied with a "good performance" and when Limerick got that run of points they felt they needed a goal and they pushed on and went for it. That to me said an awful lot about the attitude of the whole set up, "may as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb". The chance that nearly feel to Aussie and the interception by Finn ( which in my mind could easily have been brought back for a penalty or 20 meter free for a late pull across Pendergast's hand as he released the ball by one of the Limerick backs) could have made things very interesting at the end.

Only hope that we can recover quickly from what must have been a heavy toll on the bodies, and the lads can go give Clare a right rattle on Saturday.

I have to say one thing and hope I am not jinxing the lad, but Stephen Bennett has really matured in the last 24 months. to become a real leader. He plays with an edge but has learned to control his temper, he works so hard and covers every blade of grass on the field, lads say he is not a free-taker, by god he has done some impression of one in the last two games in less than perfect conditions, he is direct and aggressive and never gives up - when i think back to how lads on here completely wrote him off two years ago - I hope they are eating their words now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭paddy13

Maybe you’re on about beforehand but I think definitely Bennett was right to go for goal with the the late 21 yard free despite what Duignan thought commentating. Also, they were very unlucky for the late chance that Finn managed to intercept. The team needed a goal and they had to go for it I felt. They went down going for the win fighting rather than accepting defeat by a lower score.
    I’m of the opinion that Cahill doesn’t do morale victory and will think nothing of the claps on the back Waterford are getting this week. I think the reaction of the players at the end, who fell to their knees in disappointment showed their attitude, they expected to win and that’s what Cahill brings.
    Getting to Munster finals and being competitive isn’t good enough for this setup and because of that, I think there will be a reaction from our players who didn’t play to their potential last weekend.

I fully agree, just looking back at Wexford last weekend where they absolutely needed a goal to get back into the game to have any chance and they kept taking their points. Look if was a two points is all we were down and then of course take the point but we were down by 4(I think at the time).
    Either way even if they took the wrong option as a Waterford fan (especially considering how poor we have been the last number of years) you would have to be so proud of our lads and hopefully we can up our performance again next weekend.

Like a number of others have said, morale victories are worth nothing so we do need to win next weekend to continue this teams development.
    Oh how we would love to be in PUC roaring on the boys on Sat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

People keep saying that goals are hard to come by this year but from what I can tell, the Munster Final was the first game in the championship that hasn't had a goal?

It was, but there seems to be a lot less goal chances in general, Limerick and Clare was a game with 60 scores, and only one goal, Waterford got one against Cork, and Cork got a late one from Horgan, but that was a close in free, from open play, goals have been scarce.

Can't wait for Saturday and hoping for the win which will mean a free shot against Kilkenny in Croke Park

Clare will love all the talk of bigging up Waterford this week, it worked for them against Wexford and no doubt they will be up for the game. Tony Kelly needs to be stopped

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

It was, but there seems to be a lot less goal chances in general, Limerick and Clare was a game with 60 scores, and only one goal, Waterford got one against Cork, and Cork got a late one from Horgan, but that was a close in free, from open play, goals have been scarce.

Saw this on Twitter. Time of year/conditions compared to summer hurling conditions probably don't help but I also believe teams have looked at scoring and seen that tactically it makes more sense to shoot for points out the field as opposed to playing the ball in around goal and trying to create goal scoring chances. I expect that it's only a matter of time before the black card is brought in so that backs can't stop goal-scoring chances so easily. I also wouldn't be surprised if there is a move to 4 points for a goal in hurling further down the line. It's actually a bit mad that a goal is worth the same score in hurling and football given how easy it is to score from outside 45 metres in hurling compared to in football.
    GAA Stats@GAA_Stats
    ·
    Nov 15
    There have been 26 goals scored in this year's Senior Hurling Championship, giving us 2.364 GPG.

It's the lowest rate of goals in the hurling championship since 1891 (2.200 GPG)

Only four years have been lower than this one:

1888 1.600
    1890 2.167
    1891 2.200
    1887 2.250

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

blueflame wrote: »
    Have to agree wholeheartedly with those sentiments. Felt that the team were not satisfied with a "good performance" and when Limerick got that run of points they felt they needed a goal and they pushed on and went for it. That to me said an awful lot about the attitude of the whole set up, "may as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb". The chance that nearly feel to Aussie and the interception by Finn ( which in my mind could easily have been brought back for a penalty or 20 meter free for a late pull across Pendergast's hand as he released the ball by one of the Limerick backs) could have made things very interesting at the end.

Only hope that we can recover quickly from what must have been a heavy toll on the bodies, and the lads can go give Clare a right rattle on Saturday.

I have to say one thing and hope I am not jinxing the lad, but Stephen Bennett has really matured in the last 24 months. to become a real leader. He plays with an edge but has learned to control his temper, he works so hard and covers every blade of grass on the field, lads say he is not a free-taker, by god he has done some impression of one in the last two games in less than perfect conditions, he is direct and aggressive and never gives up - when i think back to how lads on here completely wrote him off two years ago - I hope they are eating their words now

Agree on Stephen Bennett. Every top team has a marqui forward like TJ Reid, joe canning and Seamie Callinan. While not in that category yet Bennett is slowly starting to step into that leadership role in the Waterford attack and becomes more important to us with every game. Again credit to Cahill for recognising what this guy can actually do. Dot get me started on how he was utilised by McGrath. Criminal

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Agree about the marqui forwards but even looking at the three names mentioned, I believe all of them went through their problems and injuries in their early twenties, and only really came to prominence when they reached their later 20s and matured, to be the wonderful players they are now. Why oh why in Waterford do we have this habit or writing off our lads when they are still so young.

Tony Kelly is another who is proving this year that given time and maturity that class is permanent - so please when lads on here start writing off the likes of Gleeson, Curran and Bennett before they have even turned 25, think again and give them a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

blueflame wrote: »
    Agree about the marqui forwards but even looking at the three names mentioned, I believe all of them went through their problems and injuries in their early twenties, and only really came to prominence when they reached their later 20s and matured, to be the wonderful players they are now. Why oh why in Waterford do we have this habit or writing off our lads when they are still so young.

Tony Kelly is another who is proving this year that given time and maturity that class is permanent - so please when lads on here start writing off the likes of Gleeson, Curran and Bennett before they have even turned 25, think again and give them a chance

Big Dan only came into his own aged 26 or 27, he wasn't able to make the starting 15 in 2002 (aged 25) so agree 100% with the last couple of comments above.

Looking forward to Saturday now, killer that we can't be there to shout the lads on but we will be there in spirit. Clare will love the underdogs stuff, and Waterford can struggle with the favourites tag, think it's a 50/50 game, hope we can grind it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waternut

I can't see how Waterford are considered the favorites. It's a 50/50 game in my opinion.

I agree, a lot of the top forwards didn't really come into their own until they 25 or 26 and the best example of them all is TJ Reid and seamus Callinan. It certainly took Dan a few of years to settle into this stride, though I suspect he hadn't the absolute dedication and discipline at a younger age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Can't believe pundits think we deliberately let Limerick win our puckouts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Very quiet on Shane fives injury, I'm hoping that is good news, he didn't look great leaving the field the last day, hope he is right for Saturday.

I assume we will get the team line up later tonight, I'd expect similar team to be named, allowing for injuries of course.

Advertisement