Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

What was the score in the passage v 4 mile water game…..?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Dunhill would have won their game against Abbeyside comfortably were it not for some terrible misses in the second half. They played some good hurling here, with Eamonn Murphy and Shane Casey reading the breaking ball very well to cause the Village defence all kinds of problems. However, their shooting, which was very good against the wind in the first half, really left them down after the change of ends as they hit a series of bad wides, several of them from very scorable frees.

Abbeyside’s play was generally clueless. They persisted with long puckouts which were returned again and again by a very good Dunhill half back line in which centre back Michael Harney was outstanding. They also persisted in the first half with Hail Mary scoring efforts from out on the sideline, despite having players of the quality of Michael Kiely, Mark Ferncombe and Michael O’Halloran inside. In fact, in the first half they seemed to have a policy of hitting the ball to wherever Kiely wasn’t, even though he looked capable of scoring whenever he got the ball. They did get some good ball into him in the third quarter, but that faded out in the closing stages.

Abbeyside, who have brought in a lot of young players this year, have been badly hit by injuries. They lost the promising Seanie Callaghan in their first game against Mount Sion, they were missing Conor Prunty today with that never-ending quad injury, and now Mark Ferncombe is out for the rest of the season with a cruciate injury. They are up against it verus Roanmore in the quarter final. On this display, Dunhill are greatly improved from the team that won the intermediate championship last year. However, they are now faced with a relegation dogfight in which anything can happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

I see that Mícheál O’Donoghue has been appointed as a the Dublin senior hurling manager. This is a great catch for them. I wonder was he even approached about the possibility of taking on the Waterford job. The silence from the Waterford County Board concerning the process whereby Davy Fitzgerald got the job is an insult to the county’s hurling supporters.

Unlike Davy, the make-up of O’Donoghue’s fellow selectors was announced simultaneously with the announcement of O’Donoghue’s appointment. They include Shane O’Brien, who has also been appointed as Dublin’s Under-20 team manager on a three-year deal. O’Brien was the Westmeath senior hurling manager up to last year. Already this year he was the man in charge of a new Dublin hurling initiative, whereby a special development squad of players in the 20-23 age group were introduced as an extension to the county’s senior squad. As well as working with the latter squad, this development group played a series of challenge games against teams from all around the country. As a result, four of the group were added to the first team squad for the championship.

This kind of organisation and planning is on a different planet from what is going on in Waterford. If we had something like this, with a similar long-term approach to the development of the under-17 team, who knows where we would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Similar to Mattie Kenny some years ago when the Waterford job was on offer, Micheál Donoghue wouldn't be prepared to fund raise to pay himself. I'd imagine other potential candidates would feel likewise and would not be interested in the job then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭seananigans

what happens if ballygunner do the double, can they have 2 teams senior ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,388 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Not sure but i know if they win the Intermediate they can't represent 'Waterford' in the Munster Championship

Wasn't it 2019 that they won the Eastern Title and the CB siad they would get promoted if they won the county championship but Ballysaggart put a stop to that

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Top drawer

Yes they can.

they would need to name 2 panels at the start of year and cannot chop and change from that.

Has something similar happened anywhere before ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Could be wrong but don't think 2 teams from the 1 club can be in the same grade unless its Junior B.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

No they can’t.

That results qualifies them for Premier Intermediate for 2023. That is as high as they can go & as mentioned they cannot represent the county in Munster.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Brilliant post Giveitfong, I’m glad someone is calling this out. This Davy Fitz appointment with no selectors or backroom team reaks of desperation from a county board that has no plan, structure or foresight. It’s pretty much a jobs for the boys appointment given Davy Fitz close connections to a member of the interview panel. I do wonder was anyone else seriously considered/approached.

I haven’t seen or heard much from this 10 year ‘Waterford rising’ project since it was announced a couple of years ago. Is that still a working group and did they have any input into this appointment? Where is the interlinking between our senior and underage teams that is so prevalent in other counties?

Before anyone accuses me of being anti-Davy Fitz I am far from it, I hope he can do great things with this group. But where is the long term planning. Davy will be off on to the sunset to his next venture in a couple of years and if we haven’t managed to win an AI by then, where is the next one going to come from, or even players to challenge for one?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭decies

Honestly can ye at least give our new manager a chance at least, I know the Waterford negativity is famous worldwide but come on .Until the championship started this year Cahill was the messiah and for one reason or another the whole thing over the campaign was one of the biggest meltdown ( considering where we were ) in Waterford GAA history . Now who knows what will happen it may be a disaster it may be not but maybe just maybe it’s the kick up the backside this team needs . Am certainly not going to be upset about the process or this nonsense of looking for an apology to the fans . The facts are their were no outstanding candidates in the hat or should I say available , the only one I would have being interested in was Henry Shefflin but he was not available . Let’s try and be some way positive and at least try and get behind the new appointment.

Is it really such a big deal that Davey hasn’t named his background team…..it’s not like there are any inter-county games coming up any time soon…?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭siyo

No it's not a big deal, just another stick to beat him with.

Also this feeling that he's only going to hang around for 2-3 years and then we're back to looking for another new manager, there's not too many guys do more than 2-3 years anyway so I don't see the big deal.

The question I'd love to have answered is why has our underage fallen off a cliff since 2017 and why are we not producing our own homegrown coaches?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

I don’t see how I was stick beating Davy. He’s been handed the job and good luck to him

I was asking legitimate questions about how things were handled by the county board and alluding to certain things such as as you rightly pointed out that our underage structures are miles off. Don’t tell me that both things aren’t interlinked

if you see there’s a big interview process for the cork u20 job at the moment. A host of big names like Donal og the rock and Ben O’Connor being lined up. Proper succesion plans with a likely successor for for the current manager being lined up

What’s our underage appointment process? I dread to think

Post edited by Mastermcgrath on

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

In fairness I think you do raise a valid point about our long term vision. Even on a really basic level we had a number of good minor teams in the last decade, that has dried up a bit with the 2021 Munster final appearance the only one since that looked a reasonable crop. We clearly don't use the minor or under 20 management positions as development roles for guys who we think may have the potential for the senior job where other counties do.

I heard a name mentioned as having met Davy last week for a discussion about coming onboard as a selector but for other reasons he declined. That suggests that the team is not yet finalised. Davy sat beside Pat Bennett in Fraher field on Sunday so maybe that's an indication that he may have some role.

In terms of the matches last weekend a number of county players gave 7 out of 10 performances. The outstanding player by a long way was Michael Harney. I always doubted if he had the pace or the skill for intercounty but on this audition in front of Davy he certainly deserves a shot in the league.

Would Brick be a good guy to come in, think he managed Strabally last year

Ballydurn the only non senior club left in the Eastern A junior championship. Semi finals are Roanmore vs Ballydurn, Ballygunner vs Mount Sion

Post edited by PTH2009 on

Our Davy has a new series coming up on RTE

'Davy’s Toughest Team

GAA Manager Davy Fitzgerald has spent 30 years on the field motivating young men and women to succeed. In this documentary series, he uses his experience to train and mentor a brand-new team unlike any he has worked with before.'

• Advertisement

Just can't shake the feeling Davy Fitz is a backwards step tbh.....feel near nothing to be enthusiastic about it tbh

He's been run out of wherever he been,left county board on its knees last time he was here,along side paying for Walsh park,will leave us unable to fund underage teams and coaching across county,I certainly won't be paying into club Deise to bring down likes of Bernard dunne again.......lads from small clubs busting their balls for years,trying to raise money to meet the dues during a massive recession,only for him to seemingly waltz back in again 10 years later

could it be that the Co board have some sort of independent fund/funder for davey’s entourage this time round……how much ‘mulla’ does TQS provide….what’s it used for etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Am I anxious about Davy - Yes, for a variety of reasons. Will I support him and the team vocally and financially where i can - Yes.

A lot has been written about the state Davy left the County Board in last time around - do people not feel that this was the fault of the County Board? Surely Davy was not out spending money without permission or having to have is sanctioned by the County Executive!!! More likely they were there like the Captain of the Titanic, saying speed up we will be grand" !!!! The County Board must carry a heavy degree of responsibility for those debts

The problem with many of our County Officers is that they are generally from political backgrounds, and it is not strange to see politicians quick to spend other peoples money in the hope of bringing success or gaining favour during their term in office and then walking away to let others pick up the tab.

That is why we need to put a proper long-term plan in place to over see the development and sustenance of Gaelic Games from underage up to Senior for years to come, not just for the next 2 years !!!! "Deise Rising" - what has happened with that? Who exactly is in charge of it and what are they doing - a house draw is most likely a "once off" gamble that was placed firmly on the shoulders of the Clubsand their members - it was almost like any other "you are paying for them whether or not you sell them" Is that the best plan we could come up with, it is not like it has not been done elsewhere is it?

I am concerned more for Waterford GAA and where it is heading rather than Davy's appointment.

Ballyduff Lower beat Tramore in the Eastern Intermediate semi 1-15-1-10

Ballygunner beat Mount Sion in the Eastern junior (A) semi final

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭seananigans

it's ok i can reveal the secret plan to shore up the finances

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Just in regards to Ballygunnar possibly having 2 senior teams . Sixmilebridge in Clare in the 1980s had 2 for a couple of years and it was a disaster. The rivalry became abit toxic. The supposed 'A' team wanted certain players who wanted to remain with the team promoted from Intermediate. Abit of chaos ensued. Both teams made the knock outs but exited early. It was agreed that they couldn't let it happen again. The Sixmilebridge intermediates are always there or thereabouts but haven't won it since. I dont know what the plan would be today.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Best of luck to all Waterford underage teams this weekend with the Tony Forristal/Sonny Walsh, u15 and u16 tournaments. Hopefully a few stars in the making.

• Advertisement

Also big win for the Ballygunner Intermediates over Ferrybank 5-28-1-20. Eastern final is Ballyduff Lower vs Ballygunner

Advertisement