Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭thesultan

Back in 2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Fagan cleared to play

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

There was once upon a chem when the county champions and two or three other sides would made up the majority of the county panel. It is good to see such a spread nowadays in my opinion because it mean that we are finding talent in the non traditional clubs. If you look back over the last number of years the players from the clubs such as the Bennett's, Brick, the Fives, DeBurca would have walked into any senior team int eh county, but because they played in smaller clubs with limited selection their chances of competing at Senior Club are very limited.

The same argument is often leveled Ballygunner not supplying more of our starting 15 - they are an excellent team but one on one there are a sprinkle of possibly better individuals around - this is probably a point for debate and discussion in some quarters , but for me having a spread of players/clubs is a good and in someways normal occurrence. You are picking 30 players from a much bigger pool

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Alf Tupper

Peter Queally part of Davy's backroom team. Tony rumoured to be involved also.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Mulbert

How far back are you going there? Going back to the 80s there was always a good spread of players playing for the county based on their own merits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,555 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Big win for DLS in the county minor A final this evening over BG

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Twomey and Keane were the two outstanding minors this year for the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Ballygunner beat ballyduff by 6 points in the eastern intermediate final, while ballysaggart beat shamrocks by a point in the western intermediate final, should be a good county final next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭seananigans

• Registered Users Posts: 38,387 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

What date is shc final set for?

Normal business resusmed, looks like Roanmore ran out of gas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭seananigans

fair play to roanmore for making a game of it but its like playing the italians in rugby ,mt sion will give them another right rattle the next day

despite BMG dominance on paper, Mt sion DLS FMW are all ready to take a cut

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Motivator

Would you stop, there’s no team will give it to Ballygunner. The Mount Sion and De La Salle game was a desperate standard littered with mistakes from start to finish. Ballygunner will demolish Mount Sion next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JD. 60

I'll be away next Sunday but will be able to watch the match, courtesy of TG4.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭siyo

Ballygunner have won the junior and intermediate eastern finals this weekend aswell as qualifying for the senior final.

This much dominance is not good for club hurling in the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

The first half of Roanmore v Ballygunner was great stuff. Roanmore played some really lovely hurling and could have been up at half time. I suspected they needed to be ahead at the break as we all know Ballygunner don't take the foot off the gas. They usually slam it down, and that's what they did again today and blew Roanmore away.

Mount Sion v DLS was a noticeably lower standard of hurling and if Mount Sion play like that in the final, they won't win it. A few teams might play out of their skins and push Ballygunner on a given day but the gunners are the only team to reach a top level on a consistent basis. Their consistency is actually unbelievable. Mount Sion may have one of those days where everything goes well and they might make a serious game of it, but it seems unlikely based on today's effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭decies

It must be a very deep and intensive search to find Davy’s background staff 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Two games that went much as expected in fairness - Roanmore were better organised from the off and stayed competitive for much of the game - but then the Ballygunner machine kicked into gear and there was only ever going to only one winner - thought that Roanmore made a mistake by moving Cian Wadding into the full back line to mark Dessie, as i felt they missed his presence and workrate out around the middle - in my opinion best way to mark Dessie is to try and limit the quality of ball that gets played into him and that cost Roanmore yesterday - Also felt that Sully got inside Gavin O'Briens head from early on and that also cost Roanmore dearly - a young side though who will have learned more from yesterday.

Mount Sion and DLS was a real battle. i feel that Mount Sion were the better side overall and had they been more clinical could have won the game more comfortably. Alan Kirwan played well but showed immaturity in not releasing that last ball inside for what would have been a certain goal and more comfortable finish to the game - instead the ball is cleared DLS get a goal and is it game on for the last 5 minutes. Thought the battle between Fagan and Aussie was intriguing and for a long time it looked as though Aussie was going to be totally frustrated, but in fairness to him he stormed into the last 5 minutes when needed I do think both sides were very nervous which along with the swirling wind contributed to making it a very scrappy game., but i think next weeks Final will be a bit different.

Think Gunners will be just too strong for Sion, but if Aussie can keep his head (sure to get plenty attention from Sully and Barry depending on where he lines out) and they can bring lots of energy to middle third, you never know - they certainly have a chance of making a real game of it. I think Ballygunner, will be forewarned against complacency after last years encounter but you can be sure Mount Sion's tradition will ensure that they won't lie down - on thing is certain, the two best teams are in the final and there is an interesting game in store.

• Advertisement

Ballysaggart and Colligan will be Waterfords representative in the Munster Intermediate and Junior Championships respectively due to Ballygunner been the Eastern Champions in both levels

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Jamie Gleeson had a brilliant first half for Mount Sion and was very impressive. Best I've ever seen him play. Didn't rate him before yesterday. Needs to improve his shooting though. Was Madigan for DLS previously midfield for Roanmore or am I getting that mixed up? Yeah great battle with Aussie and Fagan. I thought it would be one of the days where Aussie would get himself in trouble and he seemed lucky to avoid yellow. He was giving plenty of it to McNulty and Fagan anyway :D I wonder if Davy is already planning to bring him up a mountain and straighten his head out!

Senior final live on TG4 next Sunday

Finals weekend

So will Sundays game be the last in Walsh Park til the league next year so they start the redevelopment ?

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭upthedeise16

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭decies

Munster club draws made last night

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

While their execution was not always up to its normal high standard, Ballygunner showed once again in their semi-final win over Roanmore just how well coached they are. I have picked out two aspects of their performance last Sunday to illustrate this.

The first of these is how quickly they move the ball on to team mates once they gain possession, especially in defence and in the middle third. This means that they are hardly ever caught in possession, a fate which befell Roanmore time and again. This is particularly noticeable when it comes to rucks. Here, once they get the ball into their hand, Ballygunner players immediately pass it to a team mate, a process which is continued until they get the ball to a player in open country. 

By contrast, when a Roanmore player got the ball in hand in a ruck, he almost invariably tried to get out of the ruck by running with the ball. This meant loss of possession in most cases, such is the tigerish gang-tackling practised by Ballygunner in these situations.

Ballygunner also hardly ever hit sideline balls long, as this has a high probability of losing possession. Instead, the sideline taker (usually Paddy Leavy) normally rolls the ball to a team mate running towards him who, given Ballygunner’s high skill levels, almost always gets the ball into his hand. He then immediately lays it off to a team mate – more often than not Leavy himself, who is unmarked in these situations. If I were coaching a team against Ballygunner, I would ensure that one of my players immediately runs in to mark Leavy after he has taken a sideline, to prevent him taking the return pass. No team, to my knowledge, has copped on to this simple but effective ploy.

There are, of course, direct parallels between Ballygunner and Limerick with respect to these two facets of play, both designed to retain possession and work the ball patiently into situations where it can be used to the maximum advantage. And, of course, these are now the dominant teams in Ireland at their respective levels of competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

1000% jumping the gun but a full tilt Na Pairsaigh vs Ballygunner game would be 1 to look forward too.

Wow very difficult on draw for paper for Ballygunner/Mount Sion and if there to retain/win, its def going to be the hard way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Clare, cork and based on last year’s final are not at same standard in club hurling at minute……,last year killmallock (I think) destroyed Middleton and Ballygunner subsequently destroyed them in final. Six Mile bridge and ballyea ( I think) have been equally poor in the last 3/4 Munster campaigns. Ballygunner having double digit victories over each of them. Tipp champions on the other are a different story….anyone know at what stage Tipperary championship is at and who might be their representatives

Also is it true that the all Ireland for both this year will be by year end….?

Advertisement