Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Great to see Dessie Hutchinson catching fire.

Bit concerning that TdB not as dominant as previous games, but maybe Clare being cute with their possession and keeping it away from him

• Registered Users Posts: 38,384 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

yessss up the deise

Back in Croke Park

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

UP THE DEISE! What a fantastic second half performance from the lads. Absolutely delighted. Roll on the semis against Kilkenny next week - looking forward to it already!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭letowski

Congrats folks, best team won. Wish ye all the best for the rest of the year, I'd like to see ye win it. Ye have a great young team.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Great win, they all played brilliant. Semi final against KK to look forward to, let's go and cause an upset!!

• Advertisement

Great to see dessie H show what we all been seeing last 2 years for ballygunner on the big stage

We're getting better every game.....though the only concern i have is the 3 weeks in a row v kk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Great performances. The team have put some work into their play and you can see it. The lads are at some level of fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Congrats waterford !! Super win today
    Best of luck against the Cats,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Great performances. The team have put some work into their play and you can see it. The lads are at some level of fitness.

Ref gave Waterford nothing.....?

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Great to be back in a semi final. We won’t fear the cats!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Better team won. I hope you guys perform well against Kilkenny next Saturday. Full back line will be targeted.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Moggy13

Liam Cahill has them playing a lovely brand of hurling. It's all about continuously running at the defence..I thought Austin Gleeson did an amount of unselfish work and is clearly being directed to stop the pot shots and is getting back to where he should be..its going to be a tough ask against Kilkenny next week but no fear for this team..serious character there..even Cahills interview just now..always always looking for improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

Good performance, great displays from calum lyons and hutchinson.
    Plenty of room for improvement too, plenty of wides.

Good to see the impact of the bench today too.
    We will need them next week with the 3 matches in a row.

Great to be back in a semi final. We won’t fear the cats!

Id imagine its kk should be fearing them......hard to pick flaws in it,every set-back,including 2 sucker punches,they stepped up and turned it around

Even the clare goals,it was pure skillfulness mostly got them,not a defensive blunder

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Only worry is tiredness, 3 weeks in a row, Kilkenny with the week off.

But apart from that, great display and win

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭seananigans

Id imagine its kk should be fearing them......hard to pick flaws in it,every set-back,including 2 sucker punches,they stepped up and turned it around

Even the clare goals,it was pure skillfulness mostly got them,not a defensive blunder

fantastic clare team, really worked us , jamesie had no complaints that says it all, my only regret is if we win it this year, i wont be there .

kk a good team but very much a 50 50 game, and just have to hope if we make the final the limerick result goes the other way (i dont rate galway against limerick but we will see)

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Brilliant win for us. super display and to put 3-27 up on a team like Clare is so impressive. Kilkenny next week , great to be back in a semi final ...

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Cahill has instilled belief in the players and a will to win - remember that minor and U21 team - Hutchinson would have been part of that 😳😳

Amazing what can be achieved by a manager who shows real belief in his squad - great to see Patrick Curran show what he is capable of and Montgomery really showing what he can deliver also - roll on next Sunday - massive task ahead but have confidence we can deliver 🇭🇳🇭🇳🇭🇳

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Liam really has put the lads through the paces this year. Very physical side.

Key now is too manage the 3 weeks in a row, trying to recall were any team successful on there 3rd week this season ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Key now is too manage the 3 weeks in a row, trying to recall were any team successful on there 3rd week this season ??

No. Cork lost against Tipp and Clare were beaten by Waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 JD 60

Asdfgh2020 wrote: »
    Ref gave Waterford nothing.....?

Thought the Ref was fair throughout. Might have booked Tadgh near the end but showed some common sense not to.

Lohan gracious enough in his interview afterwards.

Superb team display. Was a bit iffy about Moran but he played like a man possessed near the end, clearing left right and centre. Prunty is some player but they were all good. Ausssies 2 points was worth the attendance fee.

All roads now lead to Croke Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Well done Waterford, hope to meet ye in Croker for a repeat of the 2017 decider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

JD 60 wrote: »
    Thought the Ref was fair throughout. Might have booked Tadgh near the end but showed some common sense not to.

Lohan gracious enough in his interview afterwards.

Superb team display. Was a bit iffy about Moran but he played like a man possessed near the end, clearing left right and centre. Prunty is some player but they were all good. Ausssies 2 points was worth the attendance fee.

All roads now lead to Croke Park.

Did you get a ticket for it??

Brilliant win lads! We're good in every line at the moment and have lads to come in off the bench who don't just add freshness but also add different types of problems for the opposition. Great to see Curran looking sharp and ready and also to see Conor Gleeson make an instant impact. I was also impressed by Montgomery who showed what Cahill always saw in him so fair play to Liam and selectors.

The difference in fitness and work rate to last year is mind boggling. Like a completely different team and Dessie has added something that we've not had since Mullane retired.

Yes we got opened up and conceded goals but we backed ourselves to outscore the opposition and we backed our full back line. Ian Kenny was solid out too. Prunty did an amazing job for someone who got an early yellow and was under so much pressure.

I think we'll give Kilkenny a right good go of it in the semi final but it'll take a mighty effort.

11 different scorers today apparently. That's probably our best spread for a while?

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Special word of mention for Ian Kenny lads - we didn’t miss Shane Fives and that says it all - well done lad !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Congratulations Waterford. Better team by far on the night. Thought Prunty grew into the game. Shanagher is unmatchable at times. Prunty fought and fought . However Clare probably left another goal or 2 out there. If Waterford leak 3 goals to Kilkenny then they won't win. Even 2 might sink them . Stopping Kilkenny getting 3 pointers is the basis for manufacturing any defeat of them. They rely on goals.
    Gleeson was mostly good...Hutchinson was excellent and he was on a good player who tested him. A very solid performance. Liam Cahill is the difference between this year and the last 2. Hes got them playing in a style that suits them and he's got more discipline into them. I look at Waterford now and see guys who are willing to get hurt,take a belt for the cause. The real concern is the 3rd game in a row. I think Waterford need to be well up going into that 4th quarter because the accumulated tiredness will slow them.
    Galway are mercurial. They could beat Limerick but its hard to see it from here. Limerick are just more sensible than Galway with a better defence. Like could you see Limerick letting Tipp get those goals. Not likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭puzl

Callum Lyons is already a formidable wing back and is only going to get better and better. I'd nearly have had him as motm but what a performance from Jamie...it was like we had two of them.

Ian Kenny had a very solid game too which is great to see.

Overall you'd have to be impressed by the team effort..can't say I was disappointed with anyone.

Kilkenny will be much tougher but they've nothing to fear.

Up the deise!

Remember at the county final and Cahill saying of a few more coming into the panel for the league next year Exciting times ahead please god

The GAA has really lifted the spirits during this terrible time and i laugh at all the busybodys wanting it postponed

• Advertisement

puzl wrote: »
    Callum Lyons is already a formidable wing back and is only going to get better and better. I'd nearly have had him as motm but what a performance from Jamie...it was like we had two of them.

Ian Kenny had a very solid game too which is great to see.

Overall you'd have to be impressed by the team effort..can't say I was disappointed with anyone.

Kilkenny will be much tougher but they've nothing to fear.

Up the deise!

Callum Lyons is just brilliant. His second year on the panel and not only is he one of the first names you'd put down but he's a real leader on the field and only getting better and better, as you said.

I thought Kieren Bennett was also excellent today.

Advertisement