Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭razorronan

I see the CIS Report recently said "We understand that a main contractor is expected to be appointed in the coming days for initial works on the redevelopment work of Walsh Park."

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

• Registered Users Posts: 38,387 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Yeah and likely not to start till after the Munster Championship games next summer

They will hardly have the work done in time for it, if it started shorty after Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Does Portlaoise have lights? The surface is only ok there.. Whatever Ballygunner do they shouldn't agree to Croker. That would be handing an advantage to Ballyhale.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Portlaoise does have lights, why would they be handing advantage to Ballyhale shamrocks last February they beat them in the all ireland there looking on yesterday you have to wonder do they have the legs for that pitch.

Ballyhale have played in Croke Park many many times . Ballygunner beat them last year because of a flukey goal. Let's call a spade a spade. They were lucky. This year Ballygunner are a better side and but I don't think it's a good idea to hand any advantage to the opposition. It's like Waterford being happy to play a Munster final against Tipp in Thurles..

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭seananigans

luky goal maybe, ballyhale had a similar luck to make the final swings and roundabouts, ultimately munster is the tougher competition , ballyhale have stumbled into the semi while ballygunner have strided

na piarsigh are no joke and they were dispatched well , ballyhale will likely be similar

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JD. 60

Flukey goal ? A well worked goal more like it.

It was Ballyhale who scored a lucky goal in that game.

They were poxed to beat St Thomas's in the semi final. Did they not also score a late goal against the Offaly champions to bring the game to extra time before that ?

I imagine both teams would much prefer to play in Croke Park all day long ; it's just not convenient for the supporters.

• Advertisement

Sure I read here that it was the clubs that want the games played before Christmas. The Football semi finals aren't til January, could easily do the same for the Hurling.

Might be more convenient for the supporters too Instead of weekend before Christmas

Regarding Ballyhale, yesterday it was a great comeback by Kilmacud in the 2nd half and only for letting in a soft goal they might of won it. Looking forward to the Semi final which could be a cracker

Post edited by PTH2009 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

I think Ballygunner conditioning wish are ahead of Ballyhale so Croke Park shouldn't be a problem, i think Kilmacud conditioning wise were ahead of Ballyhale too just left themselves to much ground to make up in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭lim4ev

I think ballygunner would be foolish to agree to play ballyhale in croker its a home venue for them but having said that if it is played there and they win which I'd expect them to anyway twud be a huge boost for their county players.

I think ballyhale are flagging or maybe in fairness after they built the big lead they just assumed they'd win even so look at what the Gunners have beaten towards ballyhale, of course you can never write them off but they look slow in the backs.

couldn't see kilmacud or naas living with the top munster clubs

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭whiteandblue

This talk of the venue being key is rubbish. If it was the final, would people have an issue playing it in Croke Park? It was in Croke Park last year and they won it. When it was played in 2019 in Semple, Ballyhale won it. So why does Croker suit Ballyhale and Semple suit Ballygunner?

I heard Darragh O'Sullivan say that this Ballygunner side take pride in being able to win in any conditions, in any weather after they were criticised following the defeat to Borrisoleigh in Páiric Ui Rinn. This Ballygunner doesn't make excuses. They are unbeaten since & have not let aspects such as the weather, pitches, venues or even opposition effect them. Once it's neutral venue, there should be no talk of a venue favouring either side, be is Semple, Croker, Portlaoise, Wexford Park or Barbados.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Funny when Ballyhale pull a win out out of the bag it’s down to guile, knowing how to win. When it’s Ballygunner it’s flukey

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭decies

am off to cash and carry to get a multipack of Kleenex for that shower in Ballyhale

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JD. 60

Yes indeed.

Didn’t realise they were so sensitive. It's probably just any excuse to get worked up for the next day. Coughlan and Fennelly marking each other ; expect at least 2 yellow cards to be dished out.

No word yet on semi final venue/date. Apparently, Gunners & Ballyhale want it played before Christmas. Would probably make sense to play it early January, with no other distractions in the mix.

Will Fraher Field host the home matches in the league now ?

• Advertisement

'Sunday December 18

AIB GAA Hurling All-Ireland Senior Club Championship Semi-Finals

St Thomas' (Galway) v Cúchulainns Dunloy (Antrim), Croke Park, 1.30pm, TG4

(E.T & Winner on the Day)

Ballyhale Shamrocks (Kilkenny) v Ballygunner (Waterford), Croke Park, 3.30pm, TG4

(E.T & Winner on the Day)'

confirmed for Croke Park, same day as the World Cup final (3pm kick off), with the Ballygunner match throwing in at 3.30

Bit of an own goal for the GAA, realistically both attendance and TV viewers will be effected although Semple Stadium being closed and the St Thomas wedding on the Saturday might have had them working with 1 hand tied behind the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Montys return

What a shower of empty heads whoever's responsible for that

Not the 1st time Colin ' take 15 steps while barging' Fennelly has made some foolish remarks in the media, didn't speak well about the army when he left too.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Idiotic remarks from him

Ballyhale are famous for trying to generate some kind of cause to cling into... But this is just dumb from Fennelly

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭larrya

Best of luck to Ballygunner but I think Ballyhale have an advantage now and will most probably win. I would love Ballygunner to win this.Terrible time for the game. Play it the day before . Not alone the world Cup but Munster v Northampton in Franklin's Gardens which I will be at is on a one

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

Club camogie finals on the day before in Croke Park so that ruled that out

A week before Christmas, who would of guessed it would come around again so quickly for a Waterford team. Even the covid All Ireland was earlier

Based on the respective provincial campaigns I'd fancy Ballygunner although its still a 50/50 type game, Ballyhale got completely over run in the 2nd half on Sunday while Ballygunner's 2nd half against Na Pairsaigh was probably the best 30 mins they produced in the last decade. Wouldn't rule out Ballyhale upping it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Strange timing and venue for that game though if Thurles was unavailable it limited the options.

Well done to Oisin Walsh of Fourmile who was on the UL freshers team who won the league last night. Tough conditions as the game only threw in at around 8:30 because of traffic issues. I had a look back through county minor teams and can't see him ever featuring, did I miss him somewhere?

Also for anyone interested in 3rd level GAA it's worth subscribing to the higher education GAA Youtube channel as they tend to show a good few of the games this month and next.

Advertisement