Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭puzl

Yeah the championship has made the weeks fly by...great to have something to look forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Calum was part of the panel two years ago also - as a marketer of fact when we talk about minor and under 21 teams - Calum, Darragh Lyons , Jack Prendergast and Conor Prunty were part of a minor and U21 side who lost their first round games in the championships and as usual they were written off - but look at them today ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 38,275 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

No doubt Noel Connors was a great servant but i think he would of struggled in Cahills style. Maurice should be given a chance in the league next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 JD 60

PTH2009 wrote: »
    No doubt Noel Connors was a great servant but i think he would of struggled in Cahills style. Maurice should be given a chance in the league next year

Ahem .... we don’t need to speculate about next year’s league. Just focus on the next game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Cahill has really got a tune out of ye this year, some brilliant scores, concern for ye is Clare could easily have had 5 goals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Ageee but we kept Limerick without having a shot to save - every game is different - no trophy won today - just gets you a shot at next opponent and that is all you can hope for

blueflame wrote: »
    Ageee but we kept Limerick without having a shot to save - every game is different - no trophy won today - just gets you a shot at next opponent and that is all you can hope for

always nice to get too Croke Park. After the injury ridden/ghost goal of 2018 and the false dawn that turned into a farce of 2019 its great to be back there. A good day for Waterford hurling

Lets hope Liam Sheedy will stay in Tipp for as long as possible, no doubt Cahill will be near the top to succeed him. If he brings Liam back too Waterford this year than he do what he wants :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 32 McBurgermacs

PTH2009 wrote: »
    always nice to get too Croke Park. After the injury ridden/ghost goal of 2018 and the false dawn that turned into a farce of 2019 its great to be back there. A good day for Waterford hurling

Lets hope Liam Sheedy will stay in Tipp for as long as possible, no doubt Cahill will be near the top to succeed him. If he brings Liam back too Waterford this year than he do what he wants :D:D

Thats it exactly. Delighted to be in a semi final after the last 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

I think to combat the 3 in a row, Cahill will have to trust the squad.
    Whether that is the core team giving it 100% up until 50 minutes and then ring the subs, or else make a few changes to the team and bring in some of the first team at that point.
    Not about dropping anyone but more to keep the energy levels up.

Lads like Montgomery, C Gleeson, P curran should hopefully see increased minutes to combat the fatigue.

carq wrote: »
    I think to combat the 3 in a row, Cahill will have to trust the squad.
    Whether that is the core team giving it 100% up until 50 minutes and then ring the subs, or else make a few changes to the team and bring in some of the first team at that point.
    Not about dropping anyone but more to keep the energy levels up.

Lads like Montgomery, C Gleeson, P curran should hopefully see increased minutes to combat the fatigue.

Id imagine he will have to start making subs from 45 min onwards.....watching it back last night....clare noticibly slowened up from the 50th or so min yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,866 ✭✭✭deisedude

A word of praise for Mr Dependable Kevin Moran. 15th championship season and still going strong. Over the years he has done a job all over the field. He would probably go in goals if asked to!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Deiseen

deisedude wrote: »
    A word of praise for Mr Dependable Kevin Moran. 15th championship season and still going strong. Over the years he has done a job all over the field. He would probably go in goals if asked to!

I had my doubts about Moran, he's "getting on" and all that.

But boy did he prove me wrong yesterday. He was like a man half his age but with that championship experience that you just cannot buy.

What a game he had, well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭TGV

Deiseen wrote: »
    I had my doubts about Moran, he's "getting on" and all that.

But boy did he prove me wrong yesterday. He was like a man half his age but with that championship experience that you just cannot buy.

What a game he had, well done!

I agree he is playing really well. I see some criticism of Jake Dillon on here which I think is unfair, for me puts in a great shift and works really hard for the team. We need these sort of guys in the team also especially when a large strong panel is required. Very impressed with the skill and speed of the game yesterday (of both teams) and for Waterford a good result but far from perfect, there is still more in this team.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

Anyone know if the full match is available to watch online anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Good performance yesterday and great to be back in a semi and I think the team will have no fear of Kilkenny as past teams might have had. However it took a long time to finish off Clare with the SOK save and the point from the save making it a 4 point turnaround which killed off Clare. They clearly wilted from there and the third week on the go is clearly an issue.

And with Kelly injuried from the warm up and then landing on the ankle again 5 minutes in, we took a while to kill them off. We coughed up some scores working the ball out from the back that would be punished far more by KK so there's room to improve.

They're far from the finished article but they're going the right way and Cahill & co. have made huge improvements on the last two years, especially to the bit between the players' heads as the nonsense stuff is no more. If they could reduce the wide count for next week too, that would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Without doing any serious research into the subject, I reckon that the score Waterford put up against Clare last Saturday, 3-27 (36 points), was the highest the county has ever managed in competitive senior hurling.

Off the top of my head, I think that the previous highest was the 9-8 (35 points) they racked up against Galway in 1960 (when Galway were playing in the Munster championship). Incidentally, Tipperary hit 10-9 in the other first round game against Limerick that year (obviously a bad year for goalies).

The previous year, Waterford hit 7-11 (32 points), also against Galway in the first round of the Munster championship. They followed this up with a total of 9-3 (30 points) in their next game, against the then All-Ireland champions, Tipperary. Of course, Waterford went on to win the All-Ireland that year.

These totals were based on extraordinarily high goal totals, although against that, the games were only 60 minutes long in those days. More recently, Waterford racked up 4-19 (31 points) in the All-Ireland semi-final against Cork in 2017. This beats the 30 points they got against Clare (3-21) and Cork (5-15) in the Munster championship in 2004 and 2007, respectively.

Something in the back of my mind is telling me that Waterford may have put up big scores in one or two All-Ireland qualifiers in recent years. If anyone out there has further light they can throw on this topic, it would be good to hear from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭upthedeise16

Giveitfong wrote: »
    Without doing any serious research into the subject, I reckon that the score Waterford put up against Clare last Saturday, 3-27 (36 points), was the highest the county has ever managed in competitive senior hurling.

Off the top of my head, I think that the previous highest was the 9-8 (35 points) they racked up against Galway in 1960 (when Galway were playing in the Munster championship). Incidentally, Tipperary hit 10-9 in the other first round game against Limerick that year (obviously a bad year for goalies).

The previous year, Waterford hit 7-11 (32 points), also against Galway in the first round of the Munster championship. They followed this up with a total of 9-3 (30 points) in their next game, against the then All-Ireland champions, Tipperary. Of course, Waterford went on to win the All-Ireland that year.

These totals were based on extraordinarily high goal totals, although against that, the games were only 60 minutes long in those days. More recently, Waterford racked up 4-19 (31 points) in the All-Ireland semi-final against Cork in 2017. This beats the 30 points they got against Clare (3-21) and Cork (5-15) in the Munster championship in 2004 and 2007, respectively.

Something in the back of my mind is telling me that Waterford may have put up big scores in one or two All-Ireland qualifiers in recent years. If anyone out there has further light they can throw on this topic, it would be good to hear from them.

6-18 against Antrim in 2008 anyway is one

Giveitfong wrote: »

We got 1-35 v offaly in 2017
    That was the highest number of points in a match until cork got 40 v westmeath last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Was it 1-35 we hit v Offaly in 2017? Broke a record for points scored at the time till Cork broke it v Westmeath last year I think

Edit: A minute too late :D

Snap!

Wiki has us down for 13 different scorers that day as well

• Advertisement

While not directly comparable, Cavan footballers won today having played 6 weeks in a row (2 league games followed by 4 championship games, one of which went to extra time) ; they even had 2 players black carded today but somehow eked out a famous win (at the incredible odds of 14/1).

So, 3 weeks in a row is not ideal but if Waterford remain hungry and focused, they can do it. Easier said than done as Kilkenny will be fired up to avenge last years defeat to Tipp, where they felt robbed by Hogans sending off (the correct decision decision unless you were from Kilkenny).

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Void Ceremony

From a Clare supporter , well done Saturday, you were the far better team for most of the game. I hope you make it to the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

We got 1-35 v offaly in 2017
    That was the highest number of points in a match until cork got 40 v westmeath last year.

Thanks to upthedeise16, McBurgermacs and Mountgomery burns for filling the gaps in my memory of Waterford’s past championship scoring sprees.

Waterford’s score last Saturday was still notable in being our highest ever against a top-level hurling county. Galway were very weak when Waterford blew them away in 1959 and 1960. Prior to 1959 Galway had direct entry to the All-Ireland semi-final and, believe it or not, direct entry to the All-Ireland final itself in certain years (1955 and 1958 for example). After 1953 they were routinely well-beaten in these games and were moved into the Munster championship in 1959 after losing the 1958 final by ten points. They stayed in Munster for eleven years, during which time they won just one game, against Clare (who were also very weak at the time) in 1961.

Antrim had a reasonably competitive team in the late 1980s (beating Offaly in the All-Ireland semi-final in 1989) but by 2008, when they were hammered by Waterford, they had fallen back a lot (Galway hit them for 6-21 in the qualifiers the same year). And while Offaly lit up the hurling world for 20 years after their breakthrough in 1980, it has been all downhill for them ever since, to extent of losing to Down in this year’s Christy Ring cup. In 2017, when Waterford scored 1-35 against them, Galway beat them by 19 points in the Leinster championship, hitting 0-33 themselves in the process.

Speaking of the Christy Ring cup, I watched the final of this competition, between Down and Kildare, yesterday. It was a very enjoyable game, with good skill levels and evidence of a fair amount of coaching. This shows that the main difference between teams at this level (and that of the Joe McDonagh cup teams) and the top-tier teams is not basic skills, but strength and conditioning, speed of thought and play, and tactical nous. If the GAA really cared about the development of hurling, they would put extra resources into these counties to build on their basic skill levels, as Donal Óg Cusack advocated on the Sunday Game last night. Eddie Brennan has shown what can be done in Laois, where there has been a notable improvement in skill levels, speed and combined play under his tutelage, although they still have a way to go in terms of strength and conditioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Lovely to see a team play where all the individuals are shining through, everyone working as a team and people not depending one one two players to get scores. Lot of good young players coming through and promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭seananigans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

God almighty how did this suddenly become an issue?

I can't remember seeing this sort of nonsense before and I'm sure it's happened countless times.

In fairness I doubt Cody will mention it if they lose. Not ecstatic about Horgan reffing it. I don't mind him generally but think he's whistle happy this year.

Aussie will need too watch himself, Horgan loves the limelight

Is what it is, He's not going to favour any team esp us with a Tipp manager

Roll on Saturday its bloody great to be there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

God almighty how did this suddenly become an issue?

I can't remember seeing this sort of nonsense before and I'm sure it's happened countless times.

In fairness I doubt Cody will mention it if they lose. Not ecstatic about Horgan reffing it. I don't mind him generally but think he's whistle happy this year.

If anything making a big deal about it could work to our disadvantage. The ref will be under more pressure and scrutiny for every free he gives in our favour and might make him second guess before he blows the whistle, particularly 50/50 decisions.

• Advertisement

Didn’t do us any favours in 2017 final ; not my favourite referee and not just for that match.

Advertisement