Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

I see Meath man Jack Fagan is playing for you now. Probably the first meath man to play in an all Ireland semi. Will be cheering you lot on this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    I see Meath man Jack Fagan is playing for you now. Probably the first meath man to play in an all Ireland semi. Will be cheering you lot on this weekend.

Along with about 31 other counties ....!!!!

RoyalCelt wrote: »

Along with about 31 other counties ....!!!!

Staying on for 2021 at least unless something changes. He had a 3 year term which presumably was the basis under which Cahill decided on a 2 year term with us initially at least.

Afaik mikey bevens is not liked by many members of the tipp co board,and they come as a package.....this somewhat stalled talks of him taking over tipp previously,then when sheedy put name in the ring,was only 1 outcome

I wouldnt begrudge him/bevans returning to tipp,ive enjoyed the hurling and matches under him,than anything served up in the previous 10 years.....its 1st time in years,ive heard and seen people excited and talking publically about prospect of an upcoming match

• Registered Users Posts: 38,278 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Afaik mikey bevens is not liked by many members of the tipp co board,and they come as a package.....this somewhat stalled talks of him taking over tipp previously,then when sheedy put name in the ring,was only 1 outcome

I wouldnt begrudge him/bevans returning to tipp,ive enjoyed the hurling and matches under him,than anything served up in the previous 10 years.....its 1st time in years,ive heard and seen people excited and talking publically about prospect of an upcoming match

Cahill is no 'pally boss' either and wouldn't be seen endorsing 'Liverpool bonding weekends' or ''Club Deise London piss ups'. Cant see him having BBQs with the players/CB etc.

He is doing a terrific job and the players/supporters have really bought in. Let's hope we see a return of the round robin series in 2021. The Round robin structure is a monkey on the back that needs to be getting rid off

The frightening thing is who do we have to replace him if he does go at the end of 2021. Last year Derek was talking about 'coming back in a few years' and after the Fanning disaster shows not many local guys are cut out for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Cahill is no 'pally boss' either and wouldn't be seen endorsing 'Liverpool bonding weekends' or ''Club Deise London piss ups'. Cant see him having BBQs with the players/CB etc.

He is doing a terrific job and the players/supporters have really bought in. Let's hope we see a return of the round robin series in 2021. The Round robin structure is a monkey on the back that needs to be getting rid off

The frightening thing is who do we have to replace him if he does go at the end of 2021. Last year Derek was talking about 'coming back in a few years' and after the Fanning disaster shows not many local guys are cut out for it

Your fixation on McGrath is actually a bit weird tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

I agree, we only have these lads because Tipp overlooked them but credit to the selection committee that actually recognised it and went and got them. The Fanning fiasco was a shambles the year before and while no disrespect to the man himself he shouldn’t have been in the job in the first place. Only put himself forward because the co board made a balls of the recruitment process and were left with no one. The man actually stepped up for the good of the county but wasn’t at the races. I know we’ve won nothing and are just back in a semi final but at least pride has been restored and we haven’t lost a golden generation of players which was the fear last year. Great to see us go at it without any fear on Saturday and see where it gets us

Were actually undefeated under lights in Croke Park beating Dublin in the 2017 League 2-19-1-17 :D:D. Think that was only lights game in Croke Park though

Lets hope for a similar score line Saturday and we then have an All Ireland final to look forward too. Be some load of 'substantial meals' purchased that day

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Were actually undefeated under lights in Croke Park beating Dublin in the 2017 League 2-19-1-17 :D:D. Think that was only lights game in Croke Park though

Lets hope for a similar score line Saturday and we then have an All Ireland final to look forward too. Be some load of 'substantial meals' purchased that day

You have Kilkenny down to beat us by 5:rolleyes:

IanVW wrote: »
    You have Kilkenny down to beat us by 5:rolleyes:

As is tradition ha

Me writing us off has worked in the past and hopefully work again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

JD 60 wrote: »

Paddy Power have Kilkenny @ 4/6 and Waterford @ 13/8. Those odds are about right, I think. Waterford have more than a decent chance of winning, although Kilkenny will come at us with all guns blazing and will fight to the bitter end. I hope Waterford pile ball down on top of the KK full back line and see what happens ; the Croke Park surface will be ideal for Dessie ; I would also expect Aussie to have a bigger influence (though not complaining about his return from the last 2 games .... 5 points from 5 efforts, forgetting about sidelines ?).

Piling ball down on top of the Kilkenny full back line will be the losing of the game. Intelligent, quick & direct ball into space will be the winning of the game for Waterford. Kilkenny defenders have never liked being pulled and dragged around the pitch and this even goes back to their glory days. The difference back then is that teams were afraid to try and take that Kilkenny team on. This current Kilkenny team are poor enough let’s be honest. if Waterford have any designs on winning an All Ireland then they should be beating this Kilkenny team on Saturday evening. There won’t be a better chance of winning Liam McCarthy I don’t think. This is the year for us to do it and although it’s hard to get too excited because we won’t be setting off for Dublin Saturday afternoon I have a feeling that there’s a performance coming on Saturday that we will remember for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Motivator wrote: »
    This current Kilkenny team are poor enough let’s be honest.

Absolute Nonsense.

They were in the final last year and back in the semi final this year and have beaten both Limerick and Galway in the Championship this year or last.

Let's big up our own team - I give our lads every chance- but the comment above is just stupid. Kilkenny in Croke Park is a big ask, and hopefully we can do it, but we don't have to talk down our opponents in a ridiculous way to big up our own lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭redlead

All our recent games have been so close. In terms of quality I think we are probably evenly matched but I see the game as being 60/40 in Kilkennys favour. They've been there a million times. I never thought I'd be saying this about Kilkenny but they seem underrated by people at the moment. As the poster above alluded to, they have beaten Galway and Limerick the last two years. I still think the eventual winner will come from the other semi but we live in hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

I have believed from the last number of years, since the demise of the great KK side, that the All ireland is wide open for the last 6 years or so, with no side set to dominate. The top eight sides are all very close in terms of ability and fitness, and the margins of winning or loosing any game are generally very fine.

Saturday evening will be no different - I heave read a lot in the papers about Waterford's work rate, well anyone that thinks we are simply going to out work Kilkenny, their head is up their ar..., Kilkenny are masters of hard work and playing to the final whistle and if we don't know that by now we will never know it. I will be happy if we can match their work rate for the full 70+ minutes on Saturday as this is the minimum starting point.

The KK forwards are an exceptional mix of Physicality and Skill and we will have to be focussed and on our game constantly to hold them. Limiting the supply of ball to their full forward line in particular from out the field will be key as once they get it they are very hard to stop.

At the other end of the field they are also a very strong unit, but they have their weaknesses. The question is can we exploit these, definitely one of which is pace. It is important to run at them, but it is just as important to mix this up and try and get good quick diagonal ball in to our full forward line. I believe the KK half back line will sit deep to try and protect their fullback line, so we will need to be able to take our scores from distance, to try and draw them out being be patient and waiting for opportunities to "get inside" - this is something we have done with improving success in recent games.

I think we face a massive challenge, and I think it is advantage Kilkenny because of the belief they have in themselves, because of the Cody Factor, because of the Croke Park Factor, and because of the consecutive three week run of games we face. However i also think that these advantages are reduced considerably because of Liam Cahill and the work ethic and belief he has instilled in our lads, also it is an empty Croke Park and surrounds, reducing the "Stadium Impact" while I believe the surface will actually suit many of our lighter forwards.

All in all i am confident that we have a real chance of squeezing home in a tight game, but anyone who thinks that this is not a really good Kilkenny side is sadly mistaken - we face a mammoth challenge on Saturday but what else would one reasonably expect in an All ireland Semi Final - but it is a challenge I believe we can overcome - tight margins - that is what is going to be all about - COME ON THE DEISE

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Good interview with Stephen Bennett on Off the Ball podcasts. Seems fairly relaxed so he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Best of luck to Waterford at the weekend. Great to see them back competitive again and playing with belief

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Good interview with Stephen Bennett on Off the Ball podcasts. Seems fairly relaxed so he does.

very cool head. The interviewer asking him how he deals with nerves in build up to big matches he said nerves never really effected him in fact he barely even thinks about the match it until the day itself.

Its hard to believe we didn't play Kilkenny in a competitive game since the league in 2018 and our last championship meeting was the famous game in Thurles in 2017. We were due to play them in a league QF this year but covid had other plans

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭celt262

They are extremely fit and well-conditioned for 70 minutes-plus. Even so, my worry for them would be that there has to be a certain amount of fatigue kicking in at some stage. They turn out more or less the same team each week and have a core of 13 players who have carried the load in just about every game.

This is their fourth weekend out of five and while the weather was decent last weekend, this is still winter hurling we’re talking about. There is a physical strain and a psychological strain on each player. I wouldn’t be surprised if it started to tell on Waterford eventually.

It didn't do Cavan any harm last week in the Ulster Final playing for the 6th weekend in a row without a break.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

celt262 wrote: »
    It didn't do Cavan any harm last week in the Ulster Final playing for the 6th weekend in a row without a break.

And fairplay to Cavan, made it all the more remarkable.

Football and hurling are not the same though. And as has been noted no team so far this year playing three weeks in a row has won. But it's fair to say maybe that Cork, Dublin and Clare were playing better opposition on the day where the playing field might be more level on Saturday so that could be a factor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 JD 60

Nostalgic piece in yesterday's Info.

https://www.independent.ie/storyplus/clash-of-the-titans-we-revisit-the-nerve-shattering-intensity-of-kilkenny-and-waterfords-all-ireland-trilogy-in-the-1950s-39789720.html

Bang up to date piece in today's paper. All the focus is now on Dessie ; that will take the spotlight off the other lads. Weather forecast tomorrow looks good for hurling ... will be a titanic struggle but in this unique year, anything is possible.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/dessie-hutchinsons-journey-from-brighton-to-the-brink-of-hurling-immortality-with-waterford-39797420.html

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Great article in today's Examiner on GAA events in Waterford in 1887:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/arid-40090016.html

Giveitfong wrote: »
    Great article in today's Examiner on GAA events in Waterford in 1887:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/arid-40090016.html

Other than being a nicely written piece about the early days of gaa in Waterford what relevance does it have to anything in the present day or regarding tomorrow’s match...?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Asdfgh2020 wrote: »
    Other than being a nicely written piece about the early days of gaa in Waterford what relevance does it have to anything in the present day or regarding tomorrow’s match...?

Maybe you should have a look at the title of the thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 JD 60

Kilkenny team named. With Kilkenny, the total is usually greater than the sum of its parts. Happy enough though with the expected Waterford full forward line (Dessie plus Aussie intermittently ....... if Prendergast is injured, Curran to start perhaps).

Living in Dublin .... met 3 lads on the road today who know their hurling (one from Dublin, Limerick & Cork) ; they all fancy Waterford to win !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭seananigans

Kilkenny team named. With Kilkenny, the total is usually greater than the sum of its parts. Happy enough though with the expected Waterford full forward line (Dessie plus Aussie intermittently ....... if Prendergast is injured, Curran to start perhaps).

Living in Dublin .... met 3 lads on the road today who know their hurling (one from Dublin, Limerick & Cork) ; they all fancy Waterford to win !

dont curse us !

Same team as last week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

I'd have liked to see Conor Gleeson starting midfield.

Advertisement