Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Dammo

I’m sure they’ll be criticising the poor fan turnout in our next “home” game in Thurles 🙄.

Not much fight in the players today it must be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Motivator

This theory that we’ve a strong panel is a total nonsense, I’ve said it here before. Colin Dunford is knocking around for 10 years now, he wasn’t good enough 10 years ago and unfortunately he still isn’t good enough. I don’t mean to single him out but he’s the prime example of how weak the panel is. Colin is a grand chap and a fine player but if we’re serious about competing for All Ireland’s, he isn’t the answer for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭deisedude

A tactically inept performance. Davy has been well and truly found out by opposition management teams at this stage.

As bad as we have ever been this century

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭loves_me_county_boy

As often as we’ve been here before we should be used to it at this stage, but what a kick in the stones today has been again . Whipping boys of Munster we don’t have a clue what we are at. Even down to the puck outs going down the same side every time and cork coming away with the ball time and time again. Some brain dead hurling was played today no bottle at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Definetly the lowest we’ve been since pre 1998. We’ve had some bad days but we’re always competitive it’s been a long time since we were this far off the pace

you’ve got to say this Davy project isn’t working but the players just haven’t been good enough end of story

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

No, the terrace was mostly Cork alright but there was good support in the stands from where I was anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Do you recall the league defeat to mayo in mid 80’s…….we could be back to that soon…….last week gave a glimmer of hope but Clare last night demonstrated that limerick are not the limerick of last few years…….thing is cork were made look good today by an inept waterford they will have learned very little media will hype them up no end though. Based on today we will be lucky to stay within ten pts of tipp or Clare..,…😡😡

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭thesultan

A lot of out big boys are gone..the legs aren't there anymore plus Tadhg is after three serious injuries in three years

• Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

The spine of the team is in their prime... absolute prime years.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭5948ai

Sorry to add to the doom and gloom but it's now 10 years since we won the minor all Ireland. We got the u21 win in 2016 but unfortunately we're not going to win a senior AI with this team. It will be another cycle before we can consider this again.. With our underage performances the last few years it could be 10 years plus before we can considered serious AI contenders again!

• Advertisement

Sorry to add to the doom and gloom but it's now 10 years since we won the minor all Ireland. We got the u21 win in 2016 but unfortunately we're not going to win a senior AI with this team. It will be another cycle before we can consider this again.. With our underage performances the last few years it could be 10 years plus before we can considered serious AI contenders again!

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭skaface

As bad as I've ever seen a Waterford team play.. Nothing else to say really

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭puzl

As bad as today was talk of it being our lowest since 1998 is nonsense.

I'd put the all Ireland final of 08 below it, and the Munster final defeat to Tipp of 2011.

So today not even our worst performance under Davy Fitz.

To me the players looked like they were over thinking the basics...laterall passes to players in less space than themselves....hard to understand what they were thinking...it's like they've lost sight of why you move the ball around and are just doing it "because"

Yes. Recall that one 5-31 to 2-5 or something. I was about 6 at the time…😡😡 that was a class cork side though…..losing to effin mayo in a division three game was worse imo

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭jimmythesulk

I blame Gardner. Watching him on the sideline with the earpiece hooked up to Davy, it became obvious that he is clueless.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JD. 60

It's a sad day when we're looking for comparative bad performances, going back to 1982.

Davy might be gone soon enough.

Very ragged and clueless performance ; hard to believe really. Can't think of one player who came away with any credit, apart from Pendergast maybe and Bennett at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JD. 60

Peter Hogan did well when introduced and Callum Lyons did well too in the 2nd half but flabbergasted by the lack of effort, loose marking and general malaise ; made Cork look like world beaters.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Junior Hurler

What are the features of the manager’s coaching, selection and tactics that can be identified after two games by an average fan?

How can an average fan spot the influence of Eoin Kelly, the manager’s choice for his coaching team?

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Waterford had a good manager and coaching staff last year. Replacing them with Scrappy Doo was madness. Eoin Kelly would have improved Waterford today if he togged out!

What an absolute disaster of a year when combined with the inept underage displays. It's the hope that would kill you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

We didn’t leave in 7 goals but jesus….

The puck outs?

Congrats to Cork anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Motivator

Watching Jamie Barron hit an aimless, lazy ball 40 yards sideways inside our own 65 today just summed up where the more senior lads heads are at. some crazy stuff went on today but watching arguably our best player trying to hit passes that he wouldn’t have hit when he was u14 just summed the whole thing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Dreadful performance, can't seem to hit 10 yard passes to hand, pick ups and the basic skills are a low, low standard. Davy was a poor choice for Cahill but if the players can't do the basic skills, what hope have we? The capacity for Walsh Park won't be reached when it opens at this rate. And for looking at the minor/U20, it will be a while before anyone takes us seriously again. It would take a miracle to get out of Munster now and can't see it happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭one world order

Between Derek McGrath and Davy Fitz there hasn't been much for Waterford to be excited about since the 90's. Cahill did well playing positive hurling in his first 2 years and building momentum but championship last year was disappointing. I guess we're stuck with Davy again next year as he's on a 2 year contract. Massive congrats to Waterford camogie, they are a joy to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭skaface

I was.. And the 83 one aswell..

Those teams in the 80's weren't expected to compete for All lreland, getting to a Munster Final was a big achievement back then..

This current side are.. They have won the league, competed in recent All lreland and Munster finals, and last year were being called the second best team in the country.. That's what's so disappointing after the collapse today.. We're a lot better than this, but it's not happening for us again this year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭decies

This makes it 12 defeats out of 14 games since the round robin system began in 2018.

Seven of those losses by margin of nine points or greater

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

We should get behind the camogie team. They’re a class act. Some unreal scores taken today.

first off neither Kelly or queally have been caught by the cameras in either march to date. Are they even in the ground. All we have seen is that ex rugby player come radio / tv celeb and a very ‘young chap’ who seems to shadow davey where ever he goes…..he tried a few innovative things in the league like a direct ‘wiring up’ of the goalie and Tadhg de bourka so he could give them live institutions and then when it came to championship games he used Nolan as opposed to O’brien in the end……no doubt he will stick around until next year/season but it is only backwards that this group will go and most likely a spate of retirements and/ or panel ‘opt outs’ will be the end result 😡

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭loves_me_county_boy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Rustyman101

First half was pure muck, make you wonder where the heads were from last weeks game, looks like we're out again.

Rallied for 5mins in the start of the second half that was it !

I really don't see where we go from here, the inconsistencies last few years are hard to figure.

Advertisement