Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

My opinion is that we don't compare with either. Limerick went through a difficult period and had a panel to get them through. When Hegarty, Lynch, Hayes weren't firing and with Finn unavailable they had Gillane and the Morriseys to just about get them over the line against Cork and to get the draw against Tipp. We don't have that depth.

Kilkenny had a go at the league but then built up again in Leinster. They weren't impressive against Dublin, Galway or Wexford but they knew they'd get through anyway.

We have neither luxury. I'd say we compare most with Clare who show no interest in the league but get out of Munster. If we just want silverware then the league is the best chance. But it would take its toll.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭optiplex780

Any more progress pictures on Walsh Park?

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

I'm not on about winning it, you need to be showing some level of form in it. League and championship is to close together and you need to be hitting the ground running going into a Munster championship. No doubt Waterford has the panel it's just some of the players attitude is the big problem

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭fuinneamh

There's definitely a balance to be struck in the league between stress testing your new style of play vrs revealing your hand or burning your mental/emotional reserves. If the rumours are true, Davy tried to introduce 17-18 different puck outs and IMO we never utilised the league to test them. A combination of red cards and bad weather in the KK game meant we were still confused come championship. This is definitely a jot in Davy's copybook as you should be going from simple to complex, not the other way around.

If I were to be truly optimistic for next year. No coach has done well in their first year in Munster round robin. Even Cahill in his second year of round robin only won 1 game for all the Tipp praise. Let's hope Davy has learned from his mistakes. As ever with this panel; the challenge for Davy is to devise an approach to overcome our lack of natural half forwards either through taking a punt on a rough diamond outside the panel or puckout strategy. Added to this challenge is the lack of fitness of De Burca and Aussie. I also reckon injuries have caught up with Barron and he has lost a yard of pace. Potentially replacing 3 All Star players is a mammoth task with the former 2 also being our most physical players too.

I'm not the biggest Davy fan but I will acknowledge it's a challenging job. And as Galway showed in the second half against Limerick; if you can't win your own puck out; the gulf can appear to be enormous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭seananigans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭deisedude

First letter of your sentence should be capitalised.

E in English should always be capitalised. Its a simple rule you learn in primary school.

Finally you should use a full stop to finish your sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭914

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i had this view for years , but when you look at the two provincal winners again and the two teams in the all ireland final , the reality is they took the league more serious then anyone else ,

both teams had fringe players and players playing out of position which ensures no one can get too complacent

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Tipperary took the league more seriously than anyone in terms of trying to win it. Though I don't fully understand your last line. Are you saying that Kilkenny and Limerick took the league seriously by trying things out to see of they worked?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

they done both , basically kiely threw in loads of young lads and told them nail down a place in the team , the team that beat us in march in fact hammered us in march was much diffrent by the munster final

kilkenny had the likes of paddy deegan up in the forwards , they had a strict running game in place at times which was everything kilkenny dont do ,but the emphasis was on winning

if i took say our league game against galway in ennis , both teams had 13 or 14 starters come championship , what's the point in in that ? when we lost lohan shrugged off the game as only the league , we lost our last two league games , and funny enough we lost our first round of the championship as a result to tipperary who as you said took it more serious then anyone , we were behind the 8 ball right up until the win against cork in the group stage in munster

tipperary shot themselves in the foot against ye , that was what determined there season,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,384 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Senior and premier intermediate championships starting Friday week

Wonder will there be some 'Waterford interest' in the Wexford job

I'd imagine The Ballygunner Senior Management team might be spearheaded for a job like that. Derek also said he would go back into management

If the lads in BG did not put themselves forward for the Waterford job, they are not going to put themselves forward for the Wexford job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭decies

Never seen such apathy one way or another to the reappointment of Davy !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

As much as I’m not a fan of him I don’t think changing him now after year 1 would be the right move. It would be too unsettling for the players and another new appointment might be just enough to push a few more experienced players into retirement when in truth we don’t have enough young players ready to come through. There’s more of a ‘were stuck with him now’ feeling and just have to look ahead.

there were rumours before the Tipp game that he was ready to step aside but after that win there was never a doubt that he was going to back for at least another year.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

I can’t find the post, but whoever predicted Ken would be Waterford U20 hurling manager was spot on.

Ken, Dan, Kevin Moran & Andy Moloney in.

Especially interesting to see Dan & Andy in after being overlooked previously.

Agreed and again it's the hope that kills us.

We would hope that the performance against tipp is a sign of things to come and not a case of tipp were just woeful and we were under no pressure.

As if we can build on that performance then getting out of munster is realistic.

Tbf we should have beat Limerick and a different year might have played out if we had

I'm hoping to see us competitive in the league and bringing some form and known plan going into the munster championship.

If our performances in the league are similar to this year then my expectations would be on the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭seananigans

thank the lord

On paper good appointment but do we have a strong pool of players for that age grade ?

Davy not the best of friends with some members of that management setup

• Advertisement

Could be an issue, U20 & senior management really need to be on the same page to get the best out of both teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Good to see some past greats involved with the U20's, best wishes to them.

I meant to post this after the Tipp game but never bothered getting around to it: What are the chances we'll see Billy Nolan permanently as an outfield player next year? Given how well he played in the sweeper role v Tipp (two great points scored also), are his talents wasted in goals? Without sounding like a know-it-all, I remember posting here as far back as about two years ago asking the question on whether he should be utilised as an outfielder. It was off the back of his great performances dragging Roanmore to a county final in 2021 (and continued that good form last year helping them reach a county semi final) as well as his displays for WIT in the Fitzgibbon the last few years.

Depending on whether Tadgh decides to come back or is even fit to return, could Nolan slot in at 6? Or perhaps at 11 with the half forward line built around him? He's a big lad, has the physicality and well able to field ball (and take scores as we've seen) having had plenty of practice in goals. We're crying out for ball winners in the HF line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Look, there’s a decent succession plan to Davy if it works out but I really don’t think that’s the goal here. Asking a guy to deliver success with a group of young players that haven’t won anything before… Kens reputation has got him the job but he has a massive challenge in front of him

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭brian2614

His mouth got him the job after the interview on the radio.. He has to back it up now. Time will tell I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

When will this management team start assembling their panel….? Next January…have a few sessions and then ‘tear into’ who ever they are playing….?

That was the limitation put on the previous management team for their 2 years. Hopefully the county secretary can see that every other county is overlooking that rule without any repercussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Best of luck to the camogie girls today, hopefully they can put it up to Tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭waterfordgirl

I'd love to see the girls win today, couldnt travel but i'm sat in front of the tv now!

Good comeback to bridge the gap to a point at HT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

Great fight to get back into it, keep it going now

Advertisement