Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Austin Gleeson won HOTY in 2016 and played all 5 games in the forwards, it has fcuk all to do where he is playing, Liam Cahil was caught rotten on camera last year calling him exactly what he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Gleeson was lucky imo to win POTY in 2016. Two Tipperary men Seamus Callinan who scored 0-9 points from play v Kilkenny in All Ire final and Padraig Maher split the vote and the All Stars commitee have subsequently stopped this from happening again.

Also in 2017 Gleeson should have been sent off in All Ire semi final v Cork for stupidly pulling off the helmet off a Cork player over on the Hogan Stand sideline. To even put himself and the team in that position showed once again the lad is a liability and could let you down in a heartbeat.

Post edited by YabaDabaDooley on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭914

Aussie scored 1-17 that year. He would score that from centre back. He also played centre back for the under 21's in 2016, and was outstanding in every game which had an impact of the decision of 2016 as he was on everyone's lips.

Can anyone names his position now? It seems to be somewhere in the forward line, if one position is working move him, move him again and again and again.

Put him centre back and that's it, of his not good enough for that position he's on the bench.

Play your best players in their best position, it's as simple as that. I'd be fairly confident at centre back we would see far less yellow and red cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭deisedude

That's a ridiculous mollycoddling attitude. Regardless of where he is playing on the pitch he shouldn't be getting involved in all the needless sh1t like dirty flicks and taps and now he had made a rod for his own back as every opposition team knows he has a short fuse

• Registered Users Posts: 38,384 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Is that the same Donal O Rourke who is with the Cork setup ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭914

100% he has a short fuse and has a tendency to snap, I won't deny that.

So what do we do, it's seems club and country have him roam around the whole field, no dedication position, added frustration, mainly man marked as he is in the forward line, what do we expect to happen?

Put him half back, help the situation. Have him face the play what he is undoubtedly great at. I could be 100% wrong and maybe he continues with silly incidents or maybe he doesn't, but it's worth a shot.

If he is centre back, he's back involved in games, less do him being man marked, none of the pressure of needing to get into games, the pressure is off as a half back, frustration becomes less and less and we may see a return to this best and these silly incidents disappearing.

We have all played or worked with lads who have a short fuse or who are hot heads, heck I'm still working with lads in their 50s who snap at the least little thing.

Put these lads somehow where they are uncomfortable, an area the don't like and these reactions multiple.

All I'm saying is let's try and help the situation, let's not throw one of our own under the bus, without at least trying to help things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Putting your least disciplined player Centre Back seems like a terrible idea to be honest plus his distribution and decision making are both terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭deisedude

If Tadhg De Burca is fit and available then he is starting centre back for Waterford.

Personally feel Aussie should be in the half forward line along with Jack Fagan as we lack high ball winners there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Dunhill would be more at home at premier intermediate it would seem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Motivator

Unbelievable stick Austin Gleeson gets here and in Waterford in general. Since he was 16 he’s been put under ridiculous pressure in both Mt. Sion and with the county at underage and senior level. The personal stuff he gets has gone on for years and it extends to his family as well.

He has been flogged for years at both club and county level and has played when he’s injured or sick countless times. From his debut against Cork in 2014, he’s been a marked man and the attention he gets often goes unnoticed especially the off the ball stuff. I remember one league game around 2015 or 2016, he was right in front of me for the first half and in 35 minutes he got knees, elbows, pinched, pulled and dragged as well as getting the butt of the hurley plenty of times. Inevitably he snapped and lashed out as they were running in for half time and I always remember thinking how it didn’t happen after 35 seconds. The treatment he has gotten over the years has been absolutely unbelievable. No person, no matter how disciplined they are, can block that out. A reaction is inevitable.

Gleeson bore the brunt of countless Waterford defeats or poor performances simply because the expectation put on him wasn’t met by fans or pundits in particular matches. For amateur players, they put up with professional nonsense both in the media and in the stands. I’ve seen enough over the years at club and county games to make up my own mind about Gleeson and if i were him I’d have retired myself years ago to be honest. Nothing is worth the crap he has to put up with. Joe Canning got the same treatment since he was 15 or 16 but Canning was wired different and more importantly he got more protection from his teammates and from referees. I’ve always felt Gleeson didn’t get the same protection from teammates and the protection he’s gotten from referees has been zero.

Has he a short fuse? Absolutely he has. There’s nothing wrong with that. Is he an exceptional player? Clearly he is a once in a generational talent but he’s been blackguarded by Waterford gaa for too long and people forget that. When he eventually retires, the same people that go out of their way to destroy him will be the first to cry about him not being there anymore. For his own sake I hope he packs it in to be honest because we’re at nothing as a county and I think the longer Fitzgerald is there the less effective Gleeson will be. The chap hasn’t had a break in 12 or 13 years at this stage between Minor, u21 and senior and he has to be sick of it at this stage. I admire him for sticking it out for so long at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

It's always the way. Look at David Clifford last week, he scored two points was it, and had a hand in around another 1-2. But because of the talent he has there's the begrudgers who can't wait to knock him. And yet a player who scores a point more is man of the match.

Austin didn't play well against Fourmile and let things get to him. And the comments that have said that are fair. But it's clear that from some posters history that they just want to have an opportunity to have a cut off him. For example anyone who questions his distribution hasn't watched him play any time recently.

From my memory Waterford had players sent off against Dublin, Laois, Tipperary and Clare this year. None were referred to on here much. One poster here says they saw the incident, I was at the game and didn't as I followed the play. It is extraordinary how many others saw it well enough that they can judge him on it.

Missing Micheal Harney last night and Shane Casey only came on as a sub which would be two massive blows for them. Though you would think their aim will be to avoid relegation rather than challenge for it. The thing is though with the ridiculous championship structure nothing matters for another two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

Was at the DLS Dunhill game last night, awful game. We've a serious problem if Dunhill are Senior Hurling standard. Absolute training session for DLS. Straight back down for Dunhill but unfortunately for Waterford hurling they may come straight back up.

There's a serious imbalance between the grades. Lismore and Roanmore coming up in 2016 & 2010 respectively are the only teams in the last 10 years to be competitive. 2 teams in 10 years is not good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Motivator

The thing with Clifford is it’s the people outside of Kerry that are slating him. Gleeson gets most of his criticism from inside Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Ridiculous alright the criticism he gets. Hegarty of limerick has a discipline issue also….maybe we should jump across to the limerick forum and start throwing in some negative comments about him, wonder what sort of reaction it would get 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JD. 60

Being honest, I haven't seem too many Camogie matches in person but I'm really looking forward to Croke Park on Sunday. Waterford are up against it but you never know in sport.

Massive achievement and really hoping we can get over the line. Great to flags on display across the city & county

Match been shown on the a big screen in the apple market too

Cake walk for Ballygunner tonight. They never got out of third gear, maybe never got into it.

• Advertisement

A lot of hurlers are in America ; it's a chance to make a few dollars and what's the point anyway because Ballygunner ate going to win it out.

As an aside, is Tadgh on the comeback trail.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭tommylad1212

Who's in America?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

them championships in the U.S need to be made start earlier in the year like early june and ran off by now , let them pick the best footballers and hurlers out of the championship by then , not start round one on all ireland final weekend ,

bad form on waterford clubs waiting 6 weeks to start a championship and some clubs cant then field their strongest sides

But what difference does it make in Waterford? Last week, this week and next week are irrelevant. And you can see that in the performances. Fourmilewater and Roanmore may have been in top gear but nobody else I've seen has been. Ballygunner and Passage last night was at a challenge game intensity as there's no jeopardy.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

In fairness they were relegated last year, only kept up by virtue of the fact Ballygunners second team won the intermediate championship. Micheál Harney was their best player by a distance last year. He wasn’t playing Thursday, unsure if he’s available for the remaining games.

That list includes Reuben Halloran who must have a double playing at home.

I also heard that the Lyons's from Ballyduff are away and the Bennetts (not already away), to name but a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

In fairness, the all county intermediate premier is a step in the right direction at least. I’m not saying it will fix things over night but at least help close the gap between the lower ranked senior teams and intermediate level . The Ballygunner issue has a the next problem to address but I really don’t know what the solution is. The situation is not going to improve anytime soon when you look at results down through the age groups amd consider the geographical side of where the club is based in an area of the city that is expanding rapidly, with no other clubs in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭tommylad1212

Most if not all are home from America, the rest are in Australia Bennett's, Lyons etc

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Venom69

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭seananigans

yikes

Advertisement