Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭seananigans

I hate this nonsense of madey uppy named grades to spare peoples feelings, it's intermediate,call a spade a spade ,should ebe senior intermediate junior and whatever below that, need to keep the gradeas small aswell to stop all thes mismqatches . clubs are always trying to inflate the higher grades to make sure their team is senior on paper,even if they're awful

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭deisedude

You think its bad in Waterford. In Cork they have a Premier Junior grade 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭seananigans

it's pure vanity by clubs on the margins to dress it up, if you're not senior you're intermediate, suck it up ,don;t like it train harder to be senior .

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Punt Road

We could learn a lot from Cork club scene. They’ve finally got their sh*t together from a club structure perspective compared to our ‘set up’.. Lots of buzz and promotion in Cork this weekend for the championship kick off.

They are definitely helped by a huge number of clubs fielding teams. Helps to find more balanced groups. There’s little doubt we need a cull of senior numbers into premier intermediate and waterfall the numbers down accordingly.

Would there be much wrong with 8 senior clubs in Waterford where everyone play’s everyone once. Top two into semis. 3rd plays 6th and 4th plays 5th for the other two semi spots. bottom two into relegation playoff. 1 goes down to be replaced by premier intermediate champions. Think that would make most games played pretty important.

Premier intermediate in Waterford needs to be savagely competitive priming the winners to be competitive in the senior division. Similar to senior A in cork which is a solid division.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Despite what you state…….Cork clubs record outside cork in recent years has been abysmal….in the past a cork club team would be feared opposition not so these days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Tell me your a fair weather hurling supporter without telling me your a fair weather hurling supporter

• Registered Users Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

cork have 250 clubs or whatever , the lads north of ferrybank and piltown have the same amount of clubs nearly as ye, waterfords problem is not the club championship but the people running it at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 38,384 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Best of luck to the team and management today

Safe travels to all

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Shelfie

Let’s hope history is made today. Leaving shortly for town

Looking forward to seeing all the blue and white. Up the Deise.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Pudz2180

Best of luck to the team and management hopefully a historic day for them

• Advertisement

Do I not understand the rules of camogie properly or have we had 2 shocking yellow cards given against us?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Some shocking decisions so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

One sided referee so far very poor

Cork with far too much guile and class for us unfortunately. In saying that losing our best defender after 2 mins and a shocking bad ref haven’t helped our cause

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Ref gave Cork a few handy frees for sure but that was never a penalty imo. Cork defence well on top. That penalty miss bit of a killer to Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

Lots of poor wides, shooting getting more and more desperate looking as the half went on with Cork dropping and crowding the 40 making it harder again. Penalty miss is a sickener, it'll take some 2nd half!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Disappointing but Cork are class

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭siyo

Jesus this is a total mismatch.

Outside of Beth Carton very hard to say any Waterford player played well. It's as big a mismatch as i've seen in a camogie All Ireland final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,683 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Their path to the final papered over things

Avoiding Galway, Kilkenny and Cork on the way flatters them. However it must be said, over the last 18 months they have probably proven themselves as the best of the rest

No doubt about that. I was at the Cork v Kilkenny semi final before the Clare v Kilkenny game. And i watched the Tipp v Waterford semi final on RTE. Waterford were poor for first 20 minutes of that match and Tipp no great shakes. The difference in standard of both semi finals was very apparent. As you said Cork, Kilkenny and Galway a good bit ahead of the rest.

Kills me to say it but nothing surer than a Waterford team not turning up on the big days. Almost numb to these type of defeats at this stage. Fair play to the ladies for getting to a final, gave the county a huge lift! Hopefully they will learn from this and come back stronger!

Congrats Cork

Well done to the team and management for getting to the final. One of those days where nothing goes right and Cork were a different animal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭Seadin

To be honest Waterford were miles off the level. There's no way a team should walk away with a victory like that. Cork are good but Waterford should have been alot better. Sometimes you don't get too many chances and you have to go out and make it count and die with your boots on even if you come up short on the day. The Waterford ladies were all crying after the game and I ask the question why when they were so compensively beaten? Not having a go but it was a disappointing Waterford performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

In last years semi did waterford not put it up to them…..lost by 5 pts……couple of hard to understand decisions today and missed penalty didn’t help but a 19 pt defeat is totally flattering……

‘ these type of defeats’ what are you taking about? they week beaten by a superior outfit today, that is all. Duck O’Rourke their ex manager was nterviewed on a paper last week he said he believes there’s an All Ireland in these girls but that this year will come too soon, but in 2/3 years down the line they’ll be a serious outfit. That’s someone that knows what he’s talking about not someone on here crying about ‘another defeat’ like these players owe you something

These type of defeats - 2008 Ai final, 2011 & 16 Munster finals, league finals, numerous AI semi final defeats,etc my comment wasn't exclusive to this particular camogie team. Waterford teams have badly underperformed more often than not on the big days.

I'm not crying, this team or any Waterford team owe me nothing, strange comment by you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Motivator

The occasion got the better of Waterford and the experience Cork have at this level was hugely evident from the start. Poor decision making and poor striking from Waterford all through the game was a sure sign of nerves. A 5pm throw in for your first all Ireland final is less than ideal as well. It’s a long day and nerves would have been there all day. I know myself from playing big matches years ago that the nervous energy burning off over the course of the day absolutely flattens you and it’s very hard to get yourself back up again when it comes to the match itself. Waterford looked leggy from the start and were miles off the pace.

Cork were miles better all over the pitch for 60 minutes. No complaints at all from a Waterford perspective, just disappointment. The experience will stand to them though and they’ll be back.

Advertisement