Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Davy mentioning last week that he knows what issues need too be worked on for next season

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

Some pathetic scorelines in the football over the weekend. 5 games conceded at minor level also.

2 things stand out, football should be banned and the other, the county board should be leaving family, friends and club members in for nothing as the GAA are offering nothing of sporting or entertainment value. We need to stop wasting money on football in Waterford and take a leaf out of Kilkenny’s book and simply cast it to the side. 

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Yeah Kilkenny are flying the last 10 years despite not playing football. Limerick, cork, Galway, Clare not performing at all though due to playing both codes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Well Kilkenny have 2 all-irelands in the last 10 years to be fair, the same amount as Waterford in 139 years.

I wonder what they might be

Are all players returning next year for some it could be near there last with the intercounty retirement age lowering every year

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Suck a blinkered viewpoint displayed above - in so many ways.

Ban football and let folks in for free, I presume you mean to hurling games, if football is already banned - if so, you clearly are new to the GAA with a concept like that. Plenty of football games offer both sporting and entertainment value. Some hurling games might offer less value, ( especially to football supporters) which contradicts what you believe but it's a mute point anyway, as they can clearly co-exist with varying degrees of ability/quality/success/entertainment value etc.

Football players have every right to play and enjoy football. I doubt the money the Waterford Board spend on football is a huge amount anyway and probably wouldn't increase the chances of success of the hurlers.

Taking a leaf out of Kilkenny's book - again, a ridiculously blinkered viewpoint mentioned. Have the Waterford hurlers lost that many players to Waterford football that you think banning football is necessary?

You may not like football and that's perfectly okay. But quite a lot of folk do enjoy it and what it brings to them. There is alot of value in playing football - you simply don't see it or choose not to. It's not all about results.

You could try to discuss the advantages of not playing football but equally would have to discuss the advantages to the GAA public of playing it.

If you wanted to Actually Discuss the topic, drive on, but doing it without the blinkers on, would be advisable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭914

Silly comment, do you honestly believe if we stopped playing football here we would win several All Ireland's!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭decies

Provisional 2024 Munster SHC dates (first team home advantage):

Round 1, April 20/21 – Clare v Limerick, Waterford v Cork.

Round 2, April 27/28 – Cork v Clare, Limerick v Tipperary.

Round 3, May 4/5 – Waterford v Tipperary.

Round 3, May 11/12 – Cork v Limerick.

Round 4, May 18/19 – Clare v Waterford, Tipperary v Cork.

Round 5, May 25/26 – Limerick v Waterford, Tipperary v Clare.

Munster final – June 8/9.

first two games Walsh park

ooof our last 2 games are tough as they come but no easy games in Munster

Crucial we win our home games

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭seananigans

what change since this season ? he had a managers dream in the league of laois offally and dublin and couldnt even get over them handy, injuring star players who should have been resting

• Registered Users Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

he's the most annoying person in the gaa , his record might be good but he needs a lot of help around him , unless fitz has found another paul kinerrk or keith rossiter i will always question him , his tactics are too complexed and he offers very little freedom to players , something waterford need in their game

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭optiplex780

Such a shame and really hopes he will come back in style

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭decies

We really need to bring on new players to the senior squad this year .

And no more retirements/opt outs

Whatever slim chance we had of doing something next year has possibly been lowered now

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Ah nooooooooooo.

Such disappointing news about Aussie. I wonder is he just signing out in protest against Davy Fitz stupid tactics. He is a massive loss to our chances next year. Hopefully about 7 other big players do the same and the Co Board tell Davy not to let the door hit his arse on the way out. But that's probably too much to hope for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

“I just don’t have the drive to do it, really,” the 28-year-old told the Irish Examiner. “I need a break for a while. It’s not as if I’m never going to go back or anything like that. As Davy said to me, the door is definitely open if in the next few weeks or next month or two I have a change of heart. I genuinely couldn’t speak any higher of Davy. He was 100 per cent with me about everything over the last year.

“Around this time last year, I was hemming and hawing about playing and I met Davy for the first time in Clonmel and then I met Donncha in Dungarvan and had good chats with them. I spoke to the players after that and made the decision that I was going to go back. They were all huge in me changing my mind.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

He's hardly going to come out and say directly "I'm sick to the back teeth of the manager"

Actions speak louder than words.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

lads this is not a surprise at really. He’s been struggling the last couple years with injury and obviously has the discipline issues on the field that he just can’t seem to get in top of. Couple that with the treatment he gets from opposition players and abuse he gets from the stands and online. I admire him for taking the decision for himself and wish him best of luck whatever he decides in 12 months time hope we see him back but if we don’t that’s ok too he owes nobody anything

• Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

He says he was thinking about it last year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Motivator

Criticising him for his discipline “issues” then in the next sentence you list out the reasons why he perhaps has some of these “issues”. I never had a problem with anything he did on the field. For all the grief he got playing for Waterford, did he ever pull a stroke worthy of the abuse he got? No he didn’t. He’s 28 years old, nobody should have anything to say about him stepping away. What’s he staying for? Another wasted year next year under Davy Fitzgerald? There’s more to life than that. I’d be very surprised if he did come back at all to be honest, a year away enjoying the things he hasn’t been able to do without someone shoving a phone in his face or giving him abuse I’d say he won’t know himself. I wonder will the floodgates open now with departures from the panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JD. 60

Say it ain't so.

The King is dead ; long live the King.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 cbwfd

Well said. Still think he's incredibly under appreciated and took the brunt unfairly for the whole team's struggles the last few years

Consistency maybe a downfall but injuries at bad times certainly didn't help. We've had hugely talented players over the years but very few would give you many moments where you'd think how the hell did he do that. His aerial domination over Kilkenny in 2016 sticks out, akin to Ken McGrath. Then you have the incredible individual goals. Debut Vs Cork and again against the rebels in the 2017 SF. Genius that'd remind you of Paul Flynn in some ways.

Touch wood we'll see it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

theres no criticism it’s just pointing out facts. He does have an issue with discipline on the field his record shows that. What’s the harm in pointing it out he’s human like the rest of us no one is perfect everything else I’ve said is complimentary and the height of respect but ignore all that why don’t ya

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Ah Limerick barely play Gaelic football. Think you've about 5 from the Limerick senior hurlers that play it with their clubs.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Davy Fitzgerald is such a wrong fit for Waterford hurling I'm suprised its not being addressed so much more.

I really believe that if we had a solid manager and backroom team in place, one whom actually had some drive for winning matches and not trying to flog a tv show, a manager with a good bond with his team is crucial in the current environment. Then we wouldn't be without the likes of Aussie, Calum Lyons, Shane McNulty and quite possibly 1 or 2 more for the 2024 campaign.

Davy is a utter joke and that result against Tipperary this year just covered over a lot of cracks.

He's an absolute fraud without a proper coach, he was ran out of Clare when everyone knows Kinnerk won that All Ireland not Davy.

He done nothing with Wexford in terms of success, how he even got the job here is beyond me.

Dropping players without the decency to pick up the phone himself i just cant get my head around what he's done to deserve another year, he inherited a great team from Cahill, so why does he need more time he made a pigs ear of it already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Motivator

First off, I agree Fitzgerald is not the man. We all know that. But to say he achieved nothing with Wexford is just wrong. They won a Leinster Championship and got to an All Ireland final where, if the players didn’t **** themselves, they’d have been playing a suspect enough Kilkenny team in the final. Small margins. He won a Munster with Waterford, All Ireland with Clare and a Leinster with Wexford. Nothing wrong with that record at all and sorry but you’re wrong.

You're right with the Tipperary result papering over the cracks. I think 2024 will be another car crash of a season and another lost year for players such as Barron and Dessie Hutchinson. Players who we should be building a team around. Jamie has had a bad few years injury wise but when fit he’s probably the best player we have. These guys deserve better.

Advertisement